Regular Contributor

Re: Bone density test

[ Edited ]

Have done this twice, piece of cake test. You just lie down, the scanner moves across the top of you, only takes a very few minutes. Like another poster said, no metal and comfortable clothing. Atheletic suits, leggings with tunics, etc. are great for this test. 

Honored Contributor

@susielong wrote:

Have done this twice, piece of cake test. You just lie down, the scanner moves across the top of you, only takes a very few minutes. Like another poster said, no metal and comfortable clothing. Atheletic suits, leggings with tunics, etc. are great for this test. 

That is the older DEXA test. 

Regular Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@susielong wrote:

That is the older DEXA test. 

Well, I'm sure if the DEXA was a piece of cake and took no time at all, this one should be even better!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the first time I've heard of a newer bone density test, but if it involves a CT scan I'll stick to the older DEXA.  Everything I've read says that we should limit the number of CT scans we receive due to the radiation.  There is no radiation involved in the older DEXA scan.  Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can clarify this - is the new bone scan definitely a CAT scan?

ETA Just googled and the DEXA scan does indeed involve radiation, but it's a "very low dose." 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The answer is yes. @shoesnbags 

DEXA scans also use x-ray technology and there is radiation there, too.

QCT scans are done using the standard CT scanner where they use a different calculation to determine bone mass. 

QCT measures the volume (density) of a bone and not just its 3-D shape as seen with conventional CT imaging.