Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@89135 wrote:

When mine is high at the drs office they wait awhile and then take it again...hopefully they tried that.  And why 4 bp pills...? Can't you get the same strength in 1 pill?

I take 3 different bp pills.  They all work differently and you could never take one that is that high in milligrams.  If you have high blood pressure for as long I have you would understand.  

@luvmybeetle 

I just had this conversation with my PCP on video call.  I take 3 BP very low dosage pills.  When I wanted to get down to 1 pill, she said each pill works on a different component of BP.

While I don't consider my pressure high, it no longer is the 120/80 it was for years.

It's not what you consider it to be high.  They go by medical standards.  Believe it or not 120/80 is considered pre-hypertensive and the ideal blood pressure is 110/70 or something.  This is according to the American Heart Association @jlkz 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@Janey2  @Luvsmyfam  My cardiologist suggested i bring my monitor to make sure it calibrates with my readings in his office as I kept getting higher readings at home - some in the scary range.

Turns out it was my monitor and not my BP thank goodness.  He also said automatic monitors are unreliable and won't use them in his office.  All BP's are taken manually by assistant and if high, he re-checks it himself.  So please take your monitor with you on your next visit as @Janey2 suggested.

I always request a manual reading at doctor's and also in the hospital.

Yepper!  I have one and won't use it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

3BCF3A14-B4ED-4426-9D5C-279C0F1404A2.jpeg

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Hopefully they used a cuff blood pressure instead of the wrist ones. I find the wrist cuffs to be horribly high vs the arm kind.

@Meowingkitty  I''ve never seen those for the wrist in a doctor's office. Do they use them?

I have both at home and always use them a few minutes apart and the readings are always the same.

I have had them at a doctors office and find them horribly inaccurate. They tend to read very high. I had one doctor who said I should be in the hospital  because it was dangerously high but when he took it with a regular cuff machine it was fine like it had always been. I won't let them come near me with a wrist one. 

Honored Contributor

I have severe White Coat Syndrome, I only allow my PCP to take my BP, no other docs or techs. I suggest buying a home monitor and check it yourself, I did that 10 years ago and it saved me frm having my doc insist on me taking 2 BP meds, since I told him my BP is much better at home.

Years ago my Mom was on 5 different BP meds, that were prescribed by her PCP, I took her to a cardio doc and he said no way, and tweaked all her meds and got her down to 2.  

Honored Contributor

I use a wrist monitor , and it is very accurate, I take it  to my doc with me and it always matches their readings.  I could not use a cuff at home since with my White Coat Syndrome it is the cuff that gets me nervous. 

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

wow,today I had a dr appointment with a nurse to check on my bp.omg!top number was almost 200.of course I am always nervous when going to the Dr's office,but never has it been that high.dr is having me continue checking on this twice a day.i had to purchase one at my local pharmacy store.of course when I checked it at home,it was much lower.as it is now,I am on 4 BP pills a day.

The Drs tell me now they don't get excited on high BP. Many things cause them to go high. I too purchased an electric BP meter and use it twice a day If it consistently stays high then get it checked. always urinate before you take it at home. I have mine in my bathroom when I brush my teeth I take it, as a scheduled thing I do. It does make you nervous when it jumps up too high. Good luck ,I know how you feel with this.

Valued Contributor

Re: Blood pressure

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.   I keep a log of my home readings  a week before my appointment so I can show them and prove that it is usually ok.   My last appointment my doctor told me that as long as it comes down, not to worry about it. 

Valued Contributor

When  I take my BP over the course of the day -  it climbs during the morning and then is at its lowest at the end of afternoon.  Never fails. I have to be careful that I don't take too much BP meds  that I get woozy  in the afternoon.

Valued Contributor

It  also depends on your age.