Contributor

Interested on any feedback, good or bad, on this product......thanks!

Respected Contributor

@pattyc I believe it's similar to Metamucil, which is what I take and I do like it.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Benefiber didn't help me at all when I was constipated. I took it for several weeks with no improvement in my bowel movements. I finally gave that up and now I take pure psyllium husk powder which has made such a big difference for me. I won't go a day without psyllium. It's the active ingredient in Metamucil but without anything else like sugar and flavoring....100% psyllium and nothing else. I buy the NOW brand.

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@pattyc I believe it's similar to Metamucil, which is what I take and I do like it.

Benefiber's active ingredient is wheat dextrin. Metamucil's is psyllium. Big difference.

Contributor

Thanks for your replies.  So how about bloating, do metamucil and psyllium cause it?

Respected Contributor

@pattyc I've been taking Metamucil literally daily since my doctor recommended it for me 21 years ago and I have had no problem with bloating, or anything for that matter.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

Isn't psyllium the gold standard for fiber?

Also what is you timing of taking fiber? Divided dosed? I understand that taking fiber with other meds or over the counter will interfer with the absorption of the others.

Honored Contributor

@pattyc wrote:

Thanks for your replies.  So how about bloating, do metamucil and psyllium cause it?

Your gut pH could be off. Try taking some raw apple cider vinegar (not clear white vinegar) - 1 Tablespoon mixed in a a glass of warm water.  It tastes bad so hold your breath and down it.  

Occasional Contributor

I've had colon cancer and my surgeon has me taking Benefiber twice a day.  Works for me.  Hubby also takes it once daily.

Honored Contributor

Benefiber (wheat dextrin) is a chemically processed product from starch whereas psyillium is an unprocessed natural whole fiber.