Esteemed Contributor

I've been very active all my life and now have the knees to prove it. Since I don't want to ruin my upcoming vacation in Québec, where we'll be doing a lot of walking, I'm going to have a cortisone injection in each of my osteoarthritic knees. I've had that done before and it does provide temporary relief.

Last month, I noticed a swelling behind one of my knees. It became painful so I showed it to my sports med doctor. He said it was a Baker's cyst, not uncommon in people like me...older, active, with osteoarthritis the knees. 

I have two questions. First, has anyone had experience with this thing? Have you ever used those Australian osmo patches? Also, have you ever had the cyst drained? I won't do that right before a trip but I'm wondering if it's an option.  I'll speak to my doctor when I see him tomorrow but I'd like to hear from anyone who has had experience with this condition.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had a cortisone injection in my knee and it is quite painful, but not nearly as much as the one in my IT Band.  I think I had my injection in March and have just started feeling a little pain with my TRX class today, which I think will probably turn out to be nothing to be concerned about.

The reason that I got my injection was because I was going hiking in Alaska.  Had no problems.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

I have had a baker's cyst on the back of my knee.  They do an ultra sound and pinpoint where it is and then tak a needle and no in several times to break it up.  They didn't give me anything for pain.  I have never had it but one time but the cyst is very painful.  I thought I had a blood clot.

Respected Contributor

My son had this cyst when he was 5. He cried and said it hurt.  An orthopedist drained it but it came back.  It was surgically removed and never caused any further trouble. Son is now 35.

Super Contributor

My husband had two partial knee replacements, one last September and the other in November.  Prior to those surgeries, he had Baker's cysts in both knees.  He would have them drained periodically.  He said it didn't hurt to have them drained, although I would say he has a pretty high tolerance for pain.  There were no real after effects of the procedure and the relief was immediate.

When he had the replacement surgeries, the doctor removed the Baker's cysts at the same time.  The surgeon said that there is a possibility that one or both of the cysts could come back, but at this point, he has had no reccurrance.  The doctor also said that, generally speaking, when the underlying cause of the cyst is addressed (i.e., the replacement of his bad knees), the problem is less likely to occur.

I hope you find relief for your knees.  It was difficult to see my husband in so much pain (alhough not nearly as difficult as it was for him to endure it!), and I know how much it can effect the quality of life.  As an aside, he has been pain-free since having the knee replacements, so if that is what you face eventually, it might help knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Honored Contributor

My husband has a Bakers cyst; the ortho at the VA isn't concerned about it.   An extensive amount of fluid was drawn off the knee and he received a cortisone injection.  In 3 months the ortho will make a decision about the torn meniscus.     

Frequent Contributor

I just had a huge Bakers cyst drained on Monday.   I am scheduled for surgery for a torn meniscus next Thursday so I have been in a lot of pain.   I will say that after the cyst was drained, I immediately felt relief from teh pain and could actually bend my knee in a way that I now realize I had not been able to do in awhile.   That being said, I still have intense pain from the torn meniscus, but it does feell different, if that makes any sense. The pain in my calf is gone however. 

After the draining, I felt lousy for about 24 hours, with a slight fever.  I had to keep icing my knee since it did swell a bit.   My Dr told me that if I didn't remove the source of the fluid (from the tear in the meniscus) which was causing the cyst to grow,  that it would just keep coming back.  I am hoping that after surgery I will be fine.   I don't know if he plans to remove the cyst during the surgery, I think not but he told me that the extent of the repair will not be known until he gets into my knee.  I have a really good surgeon so I am hopeful that all will be repaired and I can walk again without limping! 

If you have a trip in the near future, I strongly recommend you have the cyst drained before you leave.  You feel nothing during the procedure and walk out of the office as if nothing happened!   You will be amazed at the relief in the pain level.    But know that you will still have to address the reason why the cyst grew and will keep returning.  GOOD LUCK  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. Back of my knee. Kept hearing a 'click' when I walked and there was pain. I thought it was an old snow ski injury, 20 years prior, so I went to ortho surgeon. He said -- Baker's cyst. I'm active, too. Had it drained & cortisone shot. Stayed off knee the next day. Swelled, then has been great for 5 years. Glad I got it done before vacation. Good luck. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@Kroppie wrote:

I just had a huge Bakers cyst drained on Monday.   I am scheduled for surgery for a torn meniscus next Thursday so I have been in a lot of pain.   I will say that after the cyst was drained, I immediately felt relief from teh pain and could actually bend my knee in a way that I now realize I had not been able to do in awhile.   That being said, I still have intense pain from the torn meniscus, but it does feell different, if that makes any sense. The pain in my calf is gone however. 

After the draining, I felt lousy for about 24 hours, with a slight fever.  I had to keep icing my knee since it did swell a bit.   My Dr told me that if I didn't remove the source of the fluid (from the tear in the meniscus) which was causing the cyst to grow,  that it would just keep coming back.  I am hoping that after surgery I will be fine.   I don't know if he plans to remove the cyst during the surgery, I think not but he told me that the extent of the repair will not be known until he gets into my knee.  I have a really good surgeon so I am hopeful that all will be repaired and I can walk again without limping! 

If you have a trip in the near future, I strongly recommend you have the cyst drained before you leave.  You feel nothing during the procedure and walk out of the office as if nothing happened!   You will be amazed at the relief in the pain level.    But know that you will still have to address the reason why the cyst grew and will keep returning.  GOOD LUCK  

Had my meniscus repaired 15 years ago. Easy surgery, fast recovery. I took one pain pill the following day and that was it.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Re: Baker's Cyst

[ Edited ]

@ZoetheCat wrote:

My husband had two partial knee replacements, one last September and the other in November.  Prior to those surgeries, he had Baker's cysts in both knees.  He would have them drained periodically.  He said it didn't hurt to have them drained, although I would say he has a pretty high tolerance for pain.  There were no real after effects of the procedure and the relief was immediate.

When he had the replacement surgeries, the doctor removed the Baker's cysts at the same time.  The surgeon said that there is a possibility that one or both of the cysts could come back, but at this point, he has had no reccurrance.  The doctor also said that, generally speaking, when the underlying cause of the cyst is addressed (i.e., the replacement of his bad knees), the problem is less likely to occur.

I hope you find relief for your knees.  It was difficult to see my husband in so much pain (alhough not nearly as difficult as it was for him to endure it!), and I know how much it can effect the quality of life.  As an aside, he has been pain-free since having the knee replacements, so if that is what you face eventually, it might help knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

It was interesting to read that your husband had partial knee replacements. I have not heard of that in a long time. Didn't know they still did them, it's usually a complete replacement.....good to know.@ZoeTheCat