Respected Contributor

I have come to realize I desperately need to strengthen my core. My lower back hurts all the time and the other day I just turned and had a hitch in my mid back for days. I know I need to do core strengthening exercises which I always thought what's the point when I'll never see the abs again in this lifetime. Turns out I realize all those exercises are for more than just looking good. 

Trusted Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I have come to realize I desperately need to strengthen my core. My lower back hurts all the time and the other day I just turned and had a hitch in my mid back for days. I know I need to do core strengthening exercises which I always thought what's the point when I'll never see the abs again in this lifetime. Turns out I realize all those exercises are for more than just looking good. 

@Lali1 

Have you considered using an inversion table?

There’s some research to back up the value of inversion therapy for back pain and other disorders. You do it on an inversion table that looks more like a lounge chair. You lie on it, and then tip it so you lean back at an angle or are upside down. You hang this way for up to a few hours.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1    When you get those "cricks", try putting ice packs on your back several times a day.  I get some relief from using Voltaren Gel.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have a Chair Gym and use it everyday to strength train my core and upper body. That helps me a lot. When winter comes and I have to shovel heavy wet snow, I am thankful for that Chair Gym.

+ 100 weighted deep squats per day.

Honored Contributor

The core is also all about your balance too.  Extremely important when you get older not to fall.  

Respected Contributor

@Lali1 You need to be careful adding core exercises with a bad back. You don't want to make things worse.  

Check out McKenzie therapy for reducing back pain and for safe core work. There's lots of info online. It's highly recommended by my local pain docs and their patients.  

Respected Contributor

@Lali1  Please make sure you aren't dehydrated.  If you are, many times you will have lower pain in your lower back from your kidneys.

Try increasing your water intake over several days and see if that helps.  It may or may not, but it's worth a try.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Could be your mattress, too. I had lower back pain for a while. One day, while I was stripping down my mattress during spring cleaning, I noticed a sunken area on my mattress. The thing wasn't that old! Anyway, I replaced the mattress and my back pain went away. 

Respected Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@Lali1 

Have you considered using an inversion table?

There’s some research to back up the value of inversion therapy for back pain and other disorders. You do it on an inversion table that looks more like a lounge chair. You lie on it, and then tip it so you lean back at an angle or are upside down. You hang this way for up to a few hours.

Thanks for the reminder. We have one and I used it long ago before my back pain and I didn't feel any different. Now I have a reason to try again. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lali1    When you get those "cricks", try putting ice packs on your back several times a day.  I get some relief from using Voltaren Gel.

Thank you. I use heat isupoose I should try ice too.