Contributor

Tried to make some calls today, all I get is a run around.  This mental health system really stinks.  If you had a broken leg, there would be a million doctors to choose from.

I am so overwhelmed.

Honored Contributor

Is it possible for you to see a psychiatrist to advise you and counsel you?  Its sort of like living with a drunk, you can see what it is doing to him, but can you see what it is doing to you, situation.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoppinggirl12 wrote:

Tried to make some calls today, all I get is a run around.  This mental health system really stinks.  If you had a broken leg, there would be a million doctors to choose from.

I am so overwhelmed.

@shoppinggirl12- What is it that you are trying do?  Your son is being seen on an outpatient basis, correct?  Why is he not following up on his own aftercare?  Is this what's overwhelming you?

Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12

Watch this movie

61AEA262-DCAB-41D2-A600-8FE1C251C3CA.jpeg

“Charismatic Mr. Jones (Richard Gere) lives impulsively, endangering himself for momentary highs. After withdrawing his life savings, Jones disrupts a symphony concert by trying to take away the baton from the conductor, and then finds himself institutionalized. Dr. Libbie Bowen (Lena Olin) realizes Jones is bipolar, but he refuses to consider medication until depression hits him. Despite her better professional judgment, Bowen begins an affair with Jones as she tries to treat him.”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: BI-POLAR DIAGNOSIS

[ Edited ]

@shoppinggirl12

Pardon the harsh words here.

There will never again be your son who is your definition of “normal.”

I’m tragically sorry to tell you this.

He will only remain “normal” with your intervention and help.

He isn’t able to be the type of independent young adult that you expect or want.

Yes, you will need to do everything for him, medically speaking.

I will be 🙏🏻 for you and for him.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12

I have a family member with this.

He (and his family) suffered for a long time before he got treatment. 

Fortunately, he had a job with a union and was protected from being fired when he had an "episode."

It took many years for him to be stabilized, and his wife (nurse) has to stay on top of the meds to keep him that way.  As others have stated, many people with bi-polar tend to reject their meds, because they don't like the way the meds make them feel (or don't feel), or they feel "fine" and don't think they need to take them anymore.

It is important to be substance free, as drugs and alcohol can be a deadly mix. 

If he doesn't have a regular psychiatrist, I would suggest establishing a relationship with one so that he has access when he needs it.  

Good luck to you as you navigate the mental health system.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry for this situation.

I can't imagine Support Groups giving you the run around.

Maybe the medical/mental health providers are because there is no HIPAA consent.  My nephew signs the consent for his parents, then terminates it.

Respected Contributor

Sorry to tell you this is what happens. Finding the help he needs is a journey. Not an easy one for most. We made an appointment with a social worker. We went with our son. He was most helpful. His advice gave us a direction that no one else did. From there we began the process. I say that because it takes time. Hospital stays, many doctors and just time. Prayers for you and your son.

Respected Contributor

I have posted on the other thread...and will post later on this one..

Chystraltree or whatever your name is....I am going to be honest here...and point blank as you seem to be..are you ever positive? do you ever post ONE kind word other than bragging about yourself or children? I try and come to these forums for a little entertainment from the real world...and often encounter your negativity everywhere...you troll every forum here..with your pearly words of wisdom...kicking the old proverbial horse when down...

I have 31-years of mental health experience in all fields of it..and no we do not suggest people use GOOGLE as their treatment. You do not know if the sites you are reading are accurate or even endorsed by clinicians.

Just a suggestion and I am sure you have heard it before..but before you bestow your wonderful words of encouragement on somebody...we often say...to our patients..just because you CAN say something...doesn't mean you should...IF you have nothing positive to add to something why subject others to your negative opinions and feedback??? If it was occasionally I get it..but EVERY thing you post usually has a negative component to it...

Respected Contributor

Re: BI-POLAR DIAGNOSIS

[ Edited ]

Shopinggirl I understand your frustration with the system. I get it..I work with it daily..in all aspects.

He has been discharged for a bit now. Has he attended his first outpatient appointment? There are many medications out there to treat Bi-Polar Disorder. Abilify is just one and not a first top shelf one..so the good news is..if he needs medication adjustments there are many to choose from.

Unless he is presenting some serious symtpoms of being a danger to himself/others they are not going to do much...OR if he reaches out himself. Unless you are a guardian or health care proxy...I doubt they will even return calls due to HIPAA unless he has already signed consent of releases for you that are in effect AFTER discharge.

The most important thing is he takes whatever is prescribed. That he is not threatening to others or himself..those two things warrant a 911 call not a call to the facility.

I have mentioned NAMI to you before..I cannot stress enough how important it is for family to reach out to them for support and guidance..they are fantastic and are in many areas/states.

Mental health is a tough system for many reasons..insurance coverage stinks..and the stigma..if it was hypertension ...diabetes...heart disease nobody would think twice of treatment or coverage...you mention mental illness ..you get ..you're crazy..nuts...wacko...etc..you name it..just makes people feel warm and fuzzy enough to want to reach out for help when they know they will be labeled and name called. 

The other important thing is YOU..he has a support system that cares about him and will advocate for him...that is fantastic.. 

Also, don't forget to take care of you also..eat well, get enough rest. it is hard not to worry as it is your son..I totally understand..but you can't help him and be there for him if you don't take care of yourself..so you can be there for him..

While google is great for superficial information...do not use it as a diagnostic tool...there is so much info that it is hard to determine what is accurate and sanctioned by psychiatrists..the web is a huge place and not everything is correct.   Especially if this is a new area for yourself..that is why I suggested NAMI...that way you will receive support ...and accurate information.. They can help you in many ways...from how to handle the stress associated with such a diagnosis to navigating the mental health system. It is a fantastic organization.

Good luck and keep us posted.