Respected Contributor

Shoppinggirl..Unfortunately sometimes it takes a few times to get the right dosage of medication.

I can fully understand his not wanting to be re-hospitalized..who does?? But if it is best for him..then it is what it is. He will eventually (and you too..) will get over these rough spots.

Many suffer from this mental illness - it takes a lot of effort to find the right treatment combination and thank goodness there is a bed available for him..that in itself is a plus. 

Just remember if he takes his anger out on you...you are the support system and that is where they usually target..try to let it deflect as much as possible.  I know it is hard not to be hurt...but he is angry and sounding off..and remember it is an illness...

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12@CouponQueen@chrystaltree

Re-phrasing Chrystaltree’s post:

“Was there a family meeting before he was discharged?  That's where the docs and therapists and social workers would explain everything to the family? “

“Trouble sleeping is a red flag”

”There is no cure; one has to live with bi-polar by taking meds; being consistent; managing the disease.”

‘’The good things right now are that he has been diagnosed and he is being treated.”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@shoppinggirl12  Sounds like my daughter. We have been struggling with this since infancy. She could never sleep or self sooth and today at 22 it is pretty much the same. She is low functioning bi-polar, has been seeing a psychiatrist since she was 5. The formula for managing this is called the 3 "L"s, lamictal, latuda and lithium. For sleep she takes ambien and belsomra.......some nights those don't even work. She also takes zyprexa and synthroid. She has had three hospitalizations, awful....try to keep him home if at all possible. This is a lifelong illness, my heart goes out to you. 

Respected Contributor

@twinkies wrote:

Bipolar is a very serious disease. My daughter has it , My father also had it , I have to say all cases are different but there are so many new medications that do help . But for some it is a roller coaster ride ,Ups and downs  and intense mood swings .Every case is different butit does have a tendency to run in families . Believe it or not the manic state is the most dangerous because patients get out of control and lack serious jusdgement . There are also problems wwithspending too much money ,gambling ,drugs aaand angry outbursts , It can happen on a dime. Its tough to have it and even tougher tolive with someone who is Boplar especially if they are unmedicated . There is a lot to it , The best thing to do is to buy abook that explains the illness.

cathy from ma

@twinkies My daughter has this also. I like what you said about episodes happening on a dime, sooooo true. Outsiders don't understand. I can not tell you how many plans that got cancelled because our daughter "became sick" at the last minute. Our son is getting married in the fall and I am trying to figure out a Plan B in case she can not attend, that is not an option for us.

Valued Contributor

Unfortunatley stress seems to make bipolar people worse , So things such as holidays ,weddings and family eventscause my daughter so much stress that she has frequent episodes around holidays .or just beforeholidays especially Christmas ,new years etc.

cathy from ma

Esteemed Contributor

@shoppinggirl12 - Just checking in to see how you and your son are doing as you haven't posted in a few days.

Contributor

Well he is still in the hospital, still on Abilify and its been 2-3 weeks now.

He is very irritable, calls me once a day and then winds up hanging up.

Only talks about wanting to get out of the facility. He talked to my husband yesterday, and did not want me to come visit last night, but did want his girlfriends mom (who he just met a few weeks ago) to visit.

His anger is towards me now, even tho. I have been making calls every day to work on this situation.

Doctor seems to think he is still maniac, has to come down some more.

SO hard.  Hoping for it to get better.

Respected Contributor

@shoppinggirl12     have you asked his doctors about starting an adjunct therapy such as a mood stabilizer?   Sometimes monotherapy is not sufficient to stabilize prolonged manic episodes.  

Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12

I was just thinking about you today...I hope the situation with your son and his bi-polar diagnosis has gotten better.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12  Medications need to be adjusted if he can't sleep and you should notify the dr. immediately.  A family member has Bi-Polar II and needed medication adjustments until they found the right one.  You have no reason to worry and shoud relax.  There are so many people out here with Bi-Polar I and II.  

kindness is strength