Esteemed Contributor

@shoppinggirl12 wrote:

Oh my gosh, thank you to everyone who responded.  He is my boy, the love of my life, a good kid.  I am just frightened now and worried.

He doesn't seem to be manic right now, just pretty talkative, which is nice, but a little unlike his normal personality.   The last several years, he got pretty quiet, not a big talker.  Although in his teen years he was the life of the party.  So sometimes I am not sure which is the "real" person?  Is this bringing out the original kid, or not?  Very confusing.  I have to admit, it's nice that he is talkative.  Not sure how long that will last.

He is on Abilify, 15 mg.  Once a day.  But again, he is having problems sleeping.  Only a few hours.  Don't know if he should be taking something to sleep.  Guess he will have to ask that at his next checkup.

I think you or he should contact the dr and let them know he is not sleeping. We all need rest and I'm wondering if sleep deprivation could cause any problems with his diagnosis possibly. Or if the Abilify could be causing him not to be able to sleep.

All the best to you and your son.

Contributor

I called the hospital that he was released from, left two messages yesterday, no call back.  I think they really don't care, now that he is discharged.

And they did not require a family meeting before he was discharged, I am telling you, the place was not the greatest.

Now he will be an outpatient, I will have to look into the next doctor appt., and maybe I will go with him, if he is okay with it.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoppinggirl12 wrote:

I called the hospital that he was released from, left two messages yesterday, no call back.  I think they really don't care, now that he is discharged.

And they did not require a family meeting before he was discharged, I am telling you, the place was not the greatest.

Now he will be an outpatient, I will have to look into the next doctor appt., and maybe I will go with him, if he is okay with it.

It's not that the hospital doesn't care.  Their job was to stabilize your son which they did.  I'm sure in your son's possession is a discharge summary which tells him what do for aftercare. 

The onset of bipolar disorder is between 15-24.  It could be that he was misdiagnosed as ADHD when in fact it was bipolar disorder.

It seems as though you're not handling this well.  Other posters have mentioned and suggested support groups.  Self care is very important.  There is a wealth of good information out there.

Trusted Contributor

@shoppinggirl12  Check to see if there is a local chapter of NAMI ( National Alliance on Mental Illness ) in your area. They are a good support group for individuals with mental illness and their families. They can give you information and resources. Good luck to you and your son. 

Valued Contributor

Bipolar is a very serious disease. My daughter has it , My father also had it , I have to say all cases are different but there are so many new medications that do help . But for some it is a roller coaster ride ,Ups and downs  and intense mood swings .Every case is different butit does have a tendency to run in families . Believe it or not the manic state is the most dangerous because patients get out of control and lack serious jusdgement . There are also problems wwithspending too much money ,gambling ,drugs aaand angry outbursts , It can happen on a dime. Its tough to have it and even tougher tolive with someone who is Boplar especially if they are unmedicated . There is a lot to it , The best thing to do is to buy abook that explains the illness.

cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

Re: My son was admitted to hospital last night

If it is bipolar I suggest reading The Gorilla and the Bird: A Memoir of Madness and A Mother’s Love.

Bipolar can’t ever be cured, only managed at best.

My mil suffered from this as does my dh. It is very hard to live with for everybody. The sufferer feels good manic and does not want help.

You positively did the right/best thing. He will be stabilized with meds. You need to prevent his life from unraveling. Tell employer he’s ill, pay bills, etc.

People can go years without an episode, once diagnosed you will find out about out patient care, a psychiatrist,

what hospital to take him to in emergency.

He needs you, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself, if necessary see your md. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I know many people who have it. They are fine as long as they stay on their medication. The problems arise when they don't, and they do seem to suffer more frequently from  illusions episodically, that they don't need or want to continue it. Every case is different  from my experience, but many of them have familes and know  success in their jobs.

Honored Contributor

You said in a previous post that he hadn't gotten his Rx filled - has he done so now? He really NEEDS that medication.

Respected Contributor

This is the beginning of a long road with your son. My son is bi polar. He was a little older when we realized he had a problem. We honestly didn’t know what to do. It has been a long road. Stays in the hospital, different medications, worrying. This is what happened with our son. We never gave up and was always there when he needed us. Today he is the best he has been in a long time. Sometimes I would just step back from it when I felt I needed to. Find out as much as you can about the disease. Please take care of you. Will be praying for you both.

Respected Contributor

Like another poster mentioned, there are varying degrees to this mood disorder.  Some become Manic, some only hypomanic.   Men usually start with Manic episode,  

It is possible that your son was so quiet in the past because he was depressed and did not recognize his depression and neither you or your husband saw the signs of depression.  Son took Adderall, may have triggered the manic episode. 

Abilify can cause insomnia in some patients.  Son could take the dose AM to avoid sleep issues.  Full benefit realized after about a month on this med.  No need to wait until next appointment to ask questions.  He can and should pick up the phone and call.  This is his health condition and he needs to handle it.

I gave you several  resources for bipiolar orgs on your other threads - the best thing for both of you is support systems in form of a group or even online. Face tp Face is best - you will find many many folks  to talk to - just like you and son.