Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You have a computer, you should Google it.  Didn't they have a family meeting before he was discharged?  That's where the docs and therapists and social workers would explain everything to the family?  If he's having trouble sleeping, he should have called his doctor or the contact at the person.  It's possible that his med need to be adjusted or perhaps it's something that he should expect and learn to adjust to.  Perhaps he was just adusting to be home again.   I don't think going to your house was the best thing for him, you just don't have a good handle on any of this stuff and while you love him, I think you are most concerned with how his illness affects you.  The fact is Bipolar Disorder isn't one single disease, there are several levels with different manifestations and there's no cure.  He's going to has ups and downs throught his life.  This is just the very beginning for him.  Yes, many people do learn to manage the disease and live good lives but it doesn't go away.  Honestly, I don't know why your are so stressed, sad, overwhelmed.  If I were in your position, I'd be happy that my son has been diagnosed and that that he's being treated and that he has a girlfriend who is standing with him through this.  If you are thinking that you should have seen this coming when he was a kid or that it's somehow your fault....stop.  That just is not true.  It doesn't matter what he had or did not have back when he was kid.  Live in the present and try to be a positive influence in his life.  

@chrystaltree

@shoppinggirl12

Chrystaltree,

Though I used to dropped by "Wellness" on a daily basis, this no longer occurs, so am aware that the OP started this thread in May.  I've read some of the posts, not even half, but your post caught my eye: see the sentence captioned in red above.

When I read that sentence, my jaw figuratively dropped to the floor.  You cannot possibly know what it's like to be in the shoes of a Mother beginning a new journey in life, after having learned her son has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

This Mother was simply reaching out and here you are, just about calling her out for lack of tech skills.  I do believe an apology is in order.

I worked for many years with a Ph.D. whose expertise was in the field of ENT research.  He worked hard to maintain a fine international reputation for his many successes in that field.  On occasion he'd be a no-show or quite late for work and after some time I knew that life had intervened.  You see his wife has been bipolar nearly their entire 40 year marriage.  And because she so dislikes the medication she has to take, she often stops taking it, which turns their lives up-side-down, Big Time.  On one occasion, I knocked on Dr.__'s office door, was told to come in and when I walked in, he turned to me, covered his face with both hands and said, "Why does life have to be this way?  I don't know what I'm going to do?"  His wife had gone off her meds yet again and had gone off the deep end and refused to cooperate with her husband.  I'll wind up by saying that my Ph.D. friend has/had many, many resources, family, colleagues,  you name it.  It's just not easy and never is.

When my daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease, believe me I didn't go all "Stiff upper lip" and all that nonsense.  Those who do end up distancing themselves from their children at a time when they're most needed, having made a very poor decision.  And, believe me, one really does feel stressed and overwhelmed, especially and at least in the first year.

Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12

I hope your son and family are doing much better. 

Sending prayers and hugs,

🦋

Honored Contributor
Make sure your son has a hippa form signed that designates someone who can discuss or get his medication info from the dr. Just a good thing to have.
Trusted Contributor

@shoppinggirl12.....  I am sending you some warm hugs..... it is not easy to be a mom, let alone a mom with a sick child.

Now I would like to suggest something for you to think about... you said you were sad... did you realize you are grieving?  You are mourning the loss of what you hoped and dreamed for your son.... we all have dreams of a "picket fence" type scenario for our children.... and now you are facing that loss.... your child will be facing a different kind of life.... he will have relationships... however they will be changed because of his illness.... and you are seeing a different role in his life.... be kind to yourself.... let yourself go thru the steps of grieving.... we all have to come to grips with major losses in our life.... 

I heard that you are also feeling rejected... he wants to see his g/f's mom rather than you.... maybe you can use this time to back away just a tad and get a little perspective.... also to get some rest.  

I wish the best for you and for your son.  Nobody knows where the path will lead... I hope yours is a better one as the days go by.

Respected Contributor

@shoppinggirl12

I posted back in May about my daughter with schitzoaffective disorder. Hope you had a good day today ours was not. This is the nature of the illness. When you have those good days get out and do something that makes you happy. All my best to you and your son.

Honored Contributor

Without reading all of the posts, as a former teacher, following the meds directions are key so the body gets what is needs to balance enzimes.  A lot of times, people think they are better (which is due to the meds) and they get off of the meds. They revert back to the origonal aggrataved state which isn't desirable.

Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

Did the Doctors tell you what level of Bi-Polar he is? That is important. Also some Doctors may try Lithium. That is suppose to be very good at controlling BP.

I wish you and your son the best. Its a hard journey but with love and support you will get thru this difficult time.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18