Honored Contributor

Re: BCBS class action notice

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@granddi  @KatieB  @kitty60  @Growing  @gidgetgh 

This is a LEGITIMATE class action suit.  They are going to a LOT of trouble to try to reach people that were covered as early as 2008.   Not an enviable job, IMO.

First, the actual funds that will be paid out, after lawyers' fees is $1.9 billion.

Secondly ... You DO NOT have to have all the information & minor details to register ... your name, what you had, state, and a couple other things will do it.  If you have more information, that's great, but many receive a special code or ID which indicates they already know you were covered.

Some people have received post cards, but many have been contacted by email, based on the information BCBS had as contact information for you while coverage was in place.

Deadline to register is November 5, 2021.   Payments will start early 2022, so don't hold your breath.   I haven't read all the criteria which affects how much you might receive (it will be based in part of how many claimants register.  You can also opt out.).    

Third ...  It will take about 3 minutes to complete your registration.   If you get even a paltry $50 one year from now, when was the last time you got $50 for 3 minutes of effort? 

If you would like to read more about this, the site is bcbssettlement dot com.  

If you tossed the first one, and receive another notice from them .... DON'T throw the notices out!

@Tinkrbl44 - I appreciate your post.  I would be doing this for my father and husband, both are deceased, estates have been probated and closed, and myself.  And all three of us had Blue Cross through employer health care, not direct purchase from an agent. 

@gidgetgh 

I just hope that people who should be included in this payout don't discard their contact attempts ....  and then later complain no one contacted them!   I've no idea how much, ballpark, anyone might get, but if it's a legitimate payout, hey,  it's "found money".

Regular Contributor

It IS legit and I feel sorry for the people who pitched it or threw it away because if you received an email, you ARE part of the class.

I no longer have my subscriber #s or group #s but I took the few minutes to fill it out because I was covered under two different BCBS groups during those years and the basis of the suit if valid.

If you get another notification, take the 5 minutes to fill it out.

Honored Contributor

There is always a huge payout on a class action suit.  It goes to the lawyers, not us, and to people who benefit from government handouts for votes and contributions.

It does not go to us. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

There is always a huge payout on a class action suit.  It goes to the lawyers, not us, and to people who benefit from government handouts for votes and contributions.

It does not go to us. 

@Sooner 

Of course the lawyers should get paid .... you think they should work for free

What about the staff that worked on the legal issues or those that worked to review and locate records?   What about the insurance people? 

What you don't realize is that when a class action suit is ready for review and approval before the payout begins, the judge(s) review legal fees and can reduce them, if they seem too high.   Sometimes legal fees have a ceiling which they cannot exceed.  

As mentioned previously, the whole fund is $2.67 billion, and the payout totals $1.9 billion, with the difference an estimate of total administrative fees.   Neither of us knows how many people and how many hours of work will end up going into this.

Certainly you can't expect the legal and insurance people putting this together should work for free?   It's a very big group and covers a very large number of people over almost a decade. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Well wonderful to see someone taking up for lawyers!  They sure need it!  Woman Tongue

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 Well wonderful to see someone taking up for lawyers!  They sure need it!  Woman Tongue

@Sooner 

Good grief ......    I'm not "taking up for lawyers" .... in a CAS this size, there could be hundreds of administrative people working on this, full or part time ... you think THEY should work for nothing?  A little common sense please.  If you've ever had a job, I'm guessing you expected to be paid ... right?  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

Good grief ......    I'm not "taking up for lawyers" .... in a CAS this size, there could be hundreds of administrative people working on this, full or part time ... you think THEY should work for nothing?  A little common sense please.  If you've ever had a job, I'm guessing you expected to be paid ... right?  

@Tinkrbl44 Where on earth did you get all the above and more from my post?

I said lawyers always win.  It's true.  That's all!  Why the rants?  That can't be coming from my post. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

@Tinkrbl44 Where on earth did you get all the above and more from my post?

I said lawyers always win.  It's true.  That's all!  Why the rants?  That can't be coming from my post. 

@Sooner 

No ranting, just explaining a couple things about this type of lawsuit.  Most CSA suits have contingency fees, but I don't see any "win" or "lose" reference in post # 23, which is what I was referring to.  If you made that comment in another post, I missed it.

Anyway, we've both made our point, have a nice day.

Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

lol!

Respected Contributor

I received the post card a few weeks ago. And I called for paperwork .I received it yesterday and after reading this thread I went online and filled out information. Just took a couple minutes.