Valued Contributor

Help for damaged shingles skin

I had bad shingles a year ago and it really damaged the skin at the top of my inner thigh where your underwear elastic touches. Where it folds into your body. The skin is still really thin feeling, probably scarred as the shingles outbreak was huge and unbearable, and it still tears once in a while. I mostly wear long boy shorts underwear to avoid the elastic on that area. The shingles are gone but I want to thicken the skin so it no longer tears. Anyone have any ideas for what might help build back the skin? Would face wrinkle cream help, like retinol? Does anyone have a good skin product? Thanks!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Help for damaged shingles skin

@Growing    Sorry to hear about your shingles.  I'm sure it was a painful, horrifying experience.  However, I don't think anyone here is qualified to advise you on how to thicken your skin, if that is even possible.  You need to consult a dermatologist.  I'd probably do just as you are doing now. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Growing Oh you poor woman. I can't imagine how awful that was. I agree with Kachina, it's best to see a dermatologist for such specified kind of medical advice.

You wouldn't want to use something suggested by a stranger that could do further damage to your skin or to your overall health.

Wish you all the best.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a very temporary fix but when I had shingles on one side of my trunk, including where my bra went, I sprayed on Nu Skin and was easily able to wear a bra.  Good luck with your skin issue.

Honored Contributor

@patbz @Growing I think that advice is fine for the bra area BUT I would see a dermatologist since the skin is in a more delicate and private area and much more easily prone to damage or infection to that area.

Please get medical advice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Growing wrote:

I had bad shingles a year ago and it really damaged the skin at the top of my inner thigh where your underwear elastic touches. Where it folds into your body. The skin is still really thin feeling, probably scarred as the shingles outbreak was huge and unbearable, and it still tears once in a while. I mostly wear long boy shorts underwear to avoid the elastic on that area. The shingles are gone but I want to thicken the skin so it no longer tears. Anyone have any ideas for what might help build back the skin? Would face wrinkle cream help, like retinol? Does anyone have a good skin product? Thanks!!!!

@Growing @By any chance, while you had the rash, did you put a cortisone cream on it? CC can cause the type of skin damage you are describing.

On a different topic, I agree that you should see a dermatologist. The usual skin condition that people have following shingles is post  herpetic  neuralgia. What you describe does not sound like PHN. 

I too have a skin issue in the same area and I also wear a very loose cotton boxer without electric to avoid irritation. My skin problem is not from shingles. Just letting you know that I literally feel your pain. 

I strongly suggest you see a dermatologist. 

Valued Contributor

I did use a prescription steroid cream at times but it didn't help at all. So I would say not long enough to thin the skin (I know this but had forgotten so thank you!). I mostly used an OTC shingle cream. Tonight I used a calendula cream. I have also used Lansinoh as a skin barrier. My doctors, PCP and dermatologist don't know when I asked. 

Valued Contributor

I agree that a dermatologist could give you the best advice.  Retinol can be irritating to even normal skin.   Have you tried something like vitamin E or Aquaphor Healing Ointment?

Honored Contributor

@Growing wrote:

I did use a prescription steroid cream at times but it didn't help at all. So I would say not long enough to thin the skin (I know this but had forgotten so thank you!). I mostly used an OTC shingle cream. Tonight I used a calendula cream. I have also used Lansinoh as a skin barrier. My doctors, PCP and dermatologist don't know when I asked. 

@Growing @Guess what? Your problem is MORE LIKELY NOT FROM SHINGLES; IT'S PROBABLY FROM THE STEROID CREAM. The cream causes thinning skin and the exact kind of problem you describe. I have this problem. You don't have to use it long to thin the skin, even when you buy it OTC  if you use more than a tiny amount at a time. Please consider seeing a dermatologist. Get the name of the steroid (cortisone) cream you used to bring in with you. If the steroid cream was left in the fold of the skin it could  cause this. 

Honored Contributor

@Growing - I agree with everyone else that you should consult a dermatologist. But I will tell you this. My mom had a horrendous case of this. Her doctor told her to get Vitamin E cream, and it became her solution for everything for the rest of her life. When I was expecting she sent me a giant jar in the mail and asked me every time I talked to her if I was using it. I was, and I had no stretch marks. 

A doctor will help you more, but it wouldn't hurt to pick up a jar of this at the drugstore. 

Good luck. I'm glad you got through this and you're feeling better!