Contributor

I have a grandson with autism. He is 26 years old and non verbal. My daughter in law has dedicated her life to him. My son is the financial provider. They live a life of autism. He lives at home and has  learned daily living skills. At times he his very hard to control. They refuse to put him in a home for disabled adults. It's a life they have chosen for now. As a grandmother, I worry about their future. I am very sensitive to their lifestyle and respect their choices. They are isolated and so am I. We try to come together as a family occasionally, but it is difficult. The dynamics of family life are extremely different than most families. They are hero's for taking care of him at home. It's not an easy life.

Frequent Contributor

@Bannafanna 

How lucky your son and DIL have you with your understanding of their sacrifice.  I still have my son at home too, and had to retire 9 years ago as a nurse to care for him 24/7.  Most of my friends that have adult children with autism (that my son went to school with) have placed their children in group homes. 

For some it was the right decision and their adult children thrived there and became more independent.  For those with adult children with severe autism, everyone of them have been abused in those group homes. 

One friend finally opened up a group home of her own after 3 group homes and 3 incidences, becoming a provider.  We plan to do the same after my husband retires.  My best wishes and prayers for your son and his wife as they lovingly take care of their son.

Honored Contributor

It's hard having one child with Autism let alone 2 or 3. A guy my husband worked with had 3 sons who all had Autism in some form. My husband had one of the boys in his class and mentioned he had some odd mannerisms, the kid had no trouble learning and as long as you didn't try to change his behavior, no problem. The boys are adults now, all graduated from high school and had some advance training after high shool, but cannot live on their own. Hope it works out for the girls.

Contributor

Sunshine58, Thank you for your response. It warmed my heart that you immediately understood the real issues. It truly is a family thing and we learn to go with it, no matter what the circumstances may be at the time. A day at a time.

Honored Contributor

@gloriajean,  Of course I will pray for your precious little Aria and Allie.   How blessed they are to have you and all of your family.   I wish I could be of help, but I have only marginal experience working with autistic children and adults...  I can say I have witnessed incredible, miraculous love.   Continued prayers for you all.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@gloriajean I have been keeping you and your family in my prayers.  As an educator, I've worked with autistic middle and high school students.  I really enjoyed my time with them.  Always a bright spot in my day.  Please keep us updated when you can.  ❤️

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for all your responses.  After reading some last night I was really scared for them, they are identical twin girls, but Aria seems more unresponsive than Allie, she doesn't seem like she has it, but the district lady thought so too.  I keep praying that they won't be diagnosed as autistic, praying for healing.  I read that autism can't be cured.  Anyway, thank you much for sharing your experiences with me. I learned more than I ever knew about it from you here. Thank you so much for praying for them, that is much appreciated.  I'll keep you informed.

Trusted Contributor

I do not want this to sound dumb, but what causies so many kids today to have autism? When I was growing up (I am in my late 50’s) and I do not remember knowing any kids that had it.  Did doctors not know about it back then?

Respected Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

I do not want this to sound dumb, but what causies so many kids today to have autism? When I was growing up (I am in my late 50’s) and I do not remember knowing any kids that had it.  Did doctors not know about it back then?

@Jinlei , part of the reason is because the definition o the disorder has been broadened and diagnostic tecniques have improved. If you pose your question in Google, you will find a lot of articles about the change in prevalence.

Honored Contributor

I doubt that Autism children could make words from the alphabet but I do wish your granddaughters the best.  Let us know the test results.

kindness is strength