Respected Contributor

Attending wakes at this time

We have a dilemna.  There is an upcoming wake to be held for a young (38) person which I expect to be very well attended by all of his friends and family.  Some are from out of town.   This young man was our neighbor across the road for many years and my own children spent much time with him.  I am hesitant to go because of Covid.  I know masks and SD will be in place but I also know there will be lots of hugging and close contact which I want no part of right now.  Would you go?  We though if we go early and things look "OK" we'll pop in quickly.  If not then we can always leave. So torn...

Honored Contributor

Re: Attending wakes at this time

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl Not for all the tea in China! With COVID on the rise there is no way I would put my health in danger. By the time you might choose to leave, you could already have been exposed.

Just because things "look ok" is no guarantee that someone is not carrying the virus. Your life is more important than attending a wake. That's my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I would not think of going.  Send a lovely note, donate to a suggested charity, let them know you care.

Honored Contributor

I would not even think of attending an event like this.  Too risky.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Not with the up-tick in cases ....

Trusted Contributor

This is a very personal decision you can only make for yourself. However, I believe that anyone would understand people not wanting to take health risks to attend. You can find a way to express your feelings without doing that, and you might find a way that means even more to your friends. Of course you long to see and be with them--who wouldn't? We are all there. But nobody who cares about you would want to be responsible for your illness.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I understand how you feel but I agree with the other posters that it's not a good idea given the pandemic.  When my mom died from Covid in April, we could only have 10 people attend the short service and she had 8 living adult children of 10 total.  Her many many grandchildren, great grandchildren and other family members could not sit in the service, only view her body 2 people at a time and leave the building. We were not even allowed to attend the burial at the veterans cemetary, only the funeral home could take her body to the site for burial.  It's your decision of course so I do wish you the best. Stay safe. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My husband and I have lost several close friends and family members in recent months, and we did not attend their services.   

If you feel the need to go, I suggest arriving in the last 15 minutes of family visiting time so you are the first visitors inside, sign the book, greet the family, and then leave.   Or arrive during the funeral, line up with the procession and see family at the cemetery, if that applies.   

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

If it was someone I had known well, then yes, I'd go.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't go.  There will be random people there--I mean people who haven't been recently tested.  Send a nice note.