Esteemed Contributor

Re: Atrial Fibrillation

[ Edited ]

DH had a stroke due to  Atrial Fibrillation at age 50. He had no syptoms until he fell over from the stroke.   He's 68 now. 

He was treated with heart ablation.  It was a six hour operation. He told them to get it right, because he wasn't coming back.  He thinks he woke up during the operation.  Anyway, he was cured of that. No blood thinners.

Since then however, he got prostate cancer. Had brachytherapy radiation.  He's still here, feisty as ever. 

DH's stepDad has AFib and is being treated with pacemaker. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree  I've had Afib for about 5 years.  Cardiologist started me on Eliquis but last year switched me to 1 adult aspirin every day.  I know some people don't feel it when they are in Afib, I do. The Dr. said I may need a pacemaker down the road. Afib is scary but manageble.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@chrystaltree  I've had Afib for about 5 years.  Cardiologist started me on Eliquis but last year switched me to 1 adult aspirin every day.  I know some people don't feel it when they are in Afib, I do. The Dr. said I may need a pacemaker down the road. Afib is scary but manageble.  

@MoJoV 

I am one who feels afib, big time.  The Dr said that was a plus in a way. Although it is the worst experience.  Yes, it is scary

New Contributor

My partner has afib and had an unsuccessful ablation a few years back.  He is scheduled for a Watchman next week.

To those of you on lifetime blood thinners, I would suggest you get a medical alert bracelet of some sort (Amazon has them).  If you are in an accident and can't speak for yourself, the EMT's and ER people  need to know this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree  I have been on Flecainide for about ten years, the only med that worked, for me.  The way I found out I had a problem was waking up in the middle of the night with my heart racing like crazy.  I took my blood pressure, and the rate was 117, so called my now ex PC the next day.  She fooled around with various meds for a month while I suffered.

I told her I needed to go to the A-Fib clinic, where she should have referred me at the get-go.  She was soon thereafter my ex-PC, too many errors for me to tolerate, have a wonderful PC doctor now, she catches issues immediately.

I chose to try the med instead of ablation, hoping that won't ever happen, but it may.  I also refused blood thinners, I was taking aspirin at the time so said my blood was thin enough, lol, judging by how easily I bled when a rose thorn got me.

Honored Contributor

As I stated before I have Afib, but had cardiac ablation over a year ago that really stopped attacks....so far. . I can't take blood thinners anymore.  I took Eliquis for a until a few weeks ago. They side effects got bad and I told Dr. I am quitting. I can't take it.  He was concerned so I am getting a Watchman August 2.  Has anyone had one of these? I am one who feels afib big time.  If I had a occurance boy, do I feel it   But living in the edge of having a clot is scary without blood thinner.  But symptoms were so bad I was willing to risk it.    I admire every one who can take blood thinners.  I just am not one who can

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

As I stated before I have Afib, but had cardiac ablation over a year ago that really stopped attacks....so far. . I can't take blood thinners anymore.  I took Eliquis for a until a few weeks ago. They side effects got bad and I told Dr. I am quitting. I can't take it.  He was concerned so I am getting a Watchman August 2.  Has anyone had one of these? I am one who feels afib big time.  If I had a occurance boy, do I feel it   But living in the edge of having a clot is scary without blood thinner.  But symptoms were so bad I was willing to risk it.    I admire every one who can take blood thinners.  I just am not one who can

@shoekitty   Can you take Aspirin?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@shoekitty   Can you take Aspirin?

Shoekitty said. Yes.  After I get the watchman installed I will take baby aspirin everyday

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty 

A good friend of mine, whom  I grew up with from  years old, had a Watchman installed. It was aboutb6 months ago.  He had to stay on his thinner, i believe he said 15 days. Talked with him yesterday and he now takes just s 325mg aspirin daily. 

He is 86 years old, and a few years ago, he had his Aortic Valve replaced with, I believe pigskin. He is very active like myself, and still ice skates at least once a week.

He is happy with his results and so far has had no episodes of Afib. And he is glad to be off of Coumadin/Warfarin each day.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn  Thank you John for that info.  They said I will take baby asprin every day. That I am willing to do. Since I have been off blood thinners ,not only do I have my self back, but I sleep at night.  With thinners I averaged 3-4 hours every night