Honored Contributor

As if I needed more sources of pain

I went into the kitchen for something to drink four or five nights ago.  As I left the kitchen, I put the light out and proceeded to walk down the hallway.  Instead I walked right into the opposite wall full force.  It felt like a Mack Truck.

The contents of the glass went all over the wall and carpet, but fortunately I did not drop the glass.  I hit square in the middle of my upper chest wall and right breast.  The area is still very sore and tender and I've been pretty much stuck to my bed ever since.  There's really nothing much that can be done except rest and wait for it to heal.

It was stupid of me not to put the hall light on, but I have been doing this ever since we moved into this apartment.  This time I miscalculated.  There has been no one to help me, thankfully my youngest daughter is able to come over today.  The other two were away all week.

I will be using the hall light from now on!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

Re: As if I needed more sources of pain

You poor thing !!!!   These "golden" years are a joke !!!!

Honored Contributor

Lilac Tree, I' so sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad you shared. A couple of weeks ago the same thing happened to me for the same reason. I slammed into the wall and fell backwards hitting my head on the kitchen table. I was lucky  and after a few minutes I ascertained that I was ok. From now on the lights go on.  It helps a bit to know I'm not the only one who did this. You be careful now , and so will I.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@LilacTreeI am so sorry, but so glad you're better enough to come get a bit of support even though we can't do more than listen.

I am trying to remember I'm no longer 50, no longer as stable as I was then, no longer see as well as I did, so I should be taking precautions.  I am sure there were plenty of nights when I navigated a path from the refrigerator to the bed or from the bed to the bathroom without turning on a light.  I guess you're telling me I better quit doing that and I thank you for the warning.

Hope every day sees more and more of the pain subsiding so you get get around more and feel confident again.

Frequent Contributor

Iam so sorry this happened to you. I hope you feel better soon. Things like this happen. And it is not really an age thing. It can happen to anyone. Take care!

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree-------Do take care and heal quickly. Do you wear glasses, did you have them on?  When I have my glasses on, walking in the dark, I have to shut my eyes or take off the glasses.  I can't walk in the dark with glasses. 

Anyway take good of yourself.-------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you're no worse off right now. That must have hurt like the devil. Hope you feel better.  Yes, night lights!!!  (do they have wall bumper guards for people our age?) Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree  I have those nightlights that only light up when you move towards them all over the house, lol. They're nice because I like to sleep in the pitch dark, but if I get up to go to the bathroom, they come on. Same with walking into my living room to the kitchen. Check them out!

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@LilacTree  I have those nightlights that only light up when you move towards them all over the house, lol. They're nice because I like to sleep in the pitch dark, but if I get up to go to the bathroom, they come on. Same with walking into my living room to the kitchen. Check them out!

I will, Reba.  Thanks!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm glad you're no worse off right now. That must have hurt like the devil. Hope you feel better.  Yes, night lights!!!  (do they have wall bumper guards for people our age?) Woman Wink

LOL, QualityGal.  This is exactly why I stopped driving.  My sense of direction is shot!!

Formerly Ford1224