Respected Contributor

I'm beginning to notice painful joints in my hands and feet. I guess it's just a fact of aging to some extent. I'm really noticing how much more difficult everyday tasks can be when you have arthritic hands. I have grippy pads to help open tight bottles and jars but even those don't help at times.

I really shook my head in wonder when I received my shipment of Andrew Lessman Glucosamine supplements and had a very difficult time opening the bottle with the child-proof cap! I'm thinking of asking my pharmacy to stop using them on my prescriptions (I think you can request this), and I just may send Andrew a suggestion - at least offer the option for joint supplements! Can't hurt to ask, right?

Esteemed Contributor

I ask my pharmacy to use easy to open caps. I don't have little ones around. I sometimes have to pound the heck off of bottles. I also dislike cans that you have the pull tabs. Are they cheaper to make I wonder.

Respected Contributor

Do you have to ask every time you pick up a new bottle? Or, can they put something on your record? If I have to ask every time, I know most time I will probably forget. Also, with a new prescription, my dr. usually send the order directly to the pharmacy, so I don't actually see or speak to anyone until I pick it up.

Frequent Contributor

My pharmacy has started using the kind of cap that is child-proof when used one way, but if you flip it over, it becomes an easy off cap. I never noticed this until my husband pointed it out!

Esteemed Contributor
There is this thing i have to open jars. It runs on batteries and youvplace it on top and it opens the jar for you.
Respected Contributor

I went to ProCaps website and sent a suggestion. I've already received a response!

"We are sorry to hear of the troubles you have been having and appreciate you taking the time to write to us. I would be more than happy to send you some easy open lids for your products. Please provide the product and size of the bottle you need them for. "

I am amazed and incredibly impressed with the level of Customer Service! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Coldlake, I think I've seen the tops you mention (unfortunately not from my pharmacy) and never realized that's how they worked - I'll be on the lookout for them!

Maybe if the Lessman supplements work I won't need them anymore . . . .

Honored Contributor

get some rubber bands and wind around hard to open lids. Works pretty darn good for me.

Honored Contributor
On 2/6/2015 halfpint said:

I ask my pharmacy to use easy to open caps. I don't have little ones around. I sometimes have to pound the heck off of bottles. I also dislike cans that you have the pull tabs. Are they cheaper to make I wonder.

look at your grocery store gadget area. some of those pop tabs are a bear to open, but look for Campbells soup can opener for those tabs. Works great!!!

Honored Contributor
On 2/6/2015 suzeecat said:

Do you have to ask every time you pick up a new bottle? Or, can they put something on your record? If I have to ask every time, I know most time I will probably forget. Also, with a new prescription, my dr. usually send the order directly to the pharmacy, so I don't actually see or speak to anyone until I pick it up.

You only have to ask once. I think you have to sign something requesting the easy open caps, and then they use them every time. I always get the easy open caps.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have had RA for eleven years now. I simply told the pharmacist that and they have provided me with easy open caps ever since.

I also have an electric can opener, an electric lid opener, and never use spray cans anymore, as I can't push the spray buttons down. My daughter gave me an electric knife, but I have not tried to use that yet. It scares me.

There are many other items in my apartment that make it look like a hospital room.

I don't know which form of arthritis you have, Rheumatoid Arthritis (an autoimmune disease) or Osteoarthritis (which physically affects the joints, but is not an autoimmune disease). However, I do know the pain level and disability/deformity, of the hands especially, is nearly the same. So if you are new to this, expect a lot of changes in your life.

So sorry to hear that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986