Super Contributor

Anyone knowledgeable about Resting Heart Rates?

I take my blood pressure every morning and it is usually around 100 over 60 something but my pulse is usually around 88-90. I've mentioned this to my doctor before and he didn't seem concerned about it. I am not overweight (in fact, over the past 8 months I lost 38 pounds) and exercise daily. I am currently trying to modify my sugar and sodium intake so I know that is something I need to work on. I feel like being in good shape that the resting heart rate should be lower. It is about the same as when I was overweight. Any thoughts or suggestions? I will add that I am kind of an uptight person so maybe that contributes.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone knowledgeable about Resting Heart Rates?

Lots of things can affect your heart rate. Here are a few examples below...do these apply?

-) Mental stress (ie. Work, life stress)
-) Physical stress from intensive training
-) Insufficient recovery, rest, sleep
-) Poor diet (ie. too many refined carbs, not enough fruit, vegetables)
-) High altitude, dehydration, jet lag
-) Excessive alcohol, hangovers
-) Smoking
-) Illness, inflammation, disease
-) Increasing age

Super Contributor

On 2/12/2015 sidsmom said:

Lots of things can affect your heart rate. Here are a few examples below...do these apply?

-) Mental stress (ie. Work, life stress)
-) Physical stress from intensive training
-) Insufficient recovery, rest, sleep
-) Poor diet (ie. too many refined carbs, not enough fruit, vegetables)
-) High altitude, dehydration, jet lag
-) Excessive alcohol, hangovers
-) Smoking
-) Illness, inflammation, disease
-) Increasing age

Well I would say I have the ones I bolded. My diet is poor due to excess sugar and sodium but I do eat plenty of fruit. I have less stress that last year but I wake up at least 2 times a night so I never get quality sleep. All things I need to work on. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

I agree the things you bolded would contribute to a higher heart rate. I'd like to add that the heart is a muscle. As you build a stronger heart muscle (through vigorous weight training and aerobic exercise) that should make a big difference in your heart rate. When I was young, before I started working out, my normal heart rate was 80-90, and I was quite thin. I'm still thin at 66, but my resting heart rate is 64-66, and has been for the last 30-35 years that I've been a workout nut. I also think you need to check it in the evening after sitting quietly for at least 5 minutes. It does tend to be higher in the a.m.

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

On 2/12/2015 2blonde said:

I agree the things you bolded would contribute to a higher heart rate. I'd like to add that the heart is a muscle. As you build a stronger heart muscle (through vigorous weight training and aerobic exercise) that should make a big difference in your heart rate. When I was young, before I started working out, my normal heart rate was 80-90, and I was quite thin. I'm still thin at 66, but my resting heart rate is 64-66, and has been for the last 30-35 years that I've been a workout nut. I also think you need to check it in the evening after sitting quietly for at least 5 minutes. It does tend to be higher in the a.m.

Oh. I always check it in the morning right after waking. I will try that and see how the results differ. Also I use a wrist cuff blood pressure monitor; is there a major difference between the wrist and the arm cuff?

Super Contributor

From the Mayo Clinic:

What's a normal resting heart rate?

Answers from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.

A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute.

Generally, a lower heart rate at rest implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness. For example, a well-trained athlete might have a normal resting heart rate closer to 40 beats a minute.

To measure your heart rate, simply check your pulse. Place your index and third fingers on your neck to the side of your windpipe. To check your pulse at your wrist, place two fingers between the bone and the tendon over your radial artery — which is located on the thumb side of your wrist.

When you feel your pulse, count the number of beats in 15 seconds. Multiply this number by 4 to calculate your beats per minute.

Keep in mind that many factors can influence heart rate, including:

• Activity level
  • Fitness level
  • Air temperature
  • Body position (standing up or lying down, for example)
  • Emotions
  • Body size
  • Medications

Although there's a wide range of normal, an unusually high or low heart rate may indicate an underlying problem. Consult your doctor if your resting heart rate is consistently above 100 beats a minute (tachycardia) or below 60 beats a minute (bradycardia) — especially if you have other signs or symptoms, such as fainting, dizziness or shortness of breath.

Trusted Contributor

Very interesting thread! Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

On 2/12/2015 AlleyCat said:
On 2/12/2015 sidsmom said:

-) Mental stress (ie. Work, life stress)<br /> -) Physical stress from intensive training<br /> -) Insufficient recovery, rest, sleep<br /> -) Poor diet (ie. too many refined carbs, not enough fruit, vegetables)<br /> -) High altitude, dehydration, jet lag<br /> -) Excessive alcohol, hangovers<br /> -) Smoking<br /> -) Illness, inflammation, disease<br /> -) Increasing age

Well I would say I have the ones I bolded. My diet is poor due to excess sugar and sodium but I do eat plenty of fruit. I have less stress that last year but I wake up at least 2 times a night so I never get quality sleep. All things I need to work on. Thank you.

AlleyCat, you stated you would like to modify your sugar intake so you might want to take a look at your fruit consumption as many fruit are very high in sugar (fructose). While you will get nutrients from fruit that you would not from regular table sugar (such as that in candy or other sweet foods), it's still just sugar in your body.

Honored Contributor

Don't want to take this OT, but fruit sugars are much, much different than simple, processed sugars. Fruit provides fiber that slows down the release of natural sugars. If you are active, there isn't a need to limit fruit consumption.

Honored Contributor

I was going to start another thread about this topic, but I was afraid there wouldn't be any interest, so...here goes!

After years & years of over-training in the anaerobic levels, it caused me to have many symptoms...including an elevated resting heart rate (HR). Since slowing down my workouts to the aerobic range only...180-(your age)=ceiling of training heart rate...I see many positive results which includes lower HR levels.

Besides a regular HR monitor, another measurement I'm using is called "Heart Rate Variability" (HRV). It takes your HR & measures the time between the "R" waves (think of an EKG...R waves are the high point of your heartbeat on an EKG). If I'm not sleeping, stressed, not eating right or exercising too hard, the variability will be low between those R waves.

The HRV tool I use to measure this is an App called, "ithlete". I strap on my Bluetooth HR monitor every morning & it calculates Green (maintain normal routine), Yellow (less activity) or Red (relax day). Many stressors will factor into this measurement...it's not just a workout tool. A low HRV measurement could also be a prediction that you're getting ill or unconsciously worrying about something.

Is it necessary everyone measure their HRV? No, but it does produce interesting data. I could be moving every day & have a high HRV, but...as I'm doing right now...travelled this week to be w/ my mother in the hospital...sitting all day, little sleep, not eating right, dehydrated...and my HRV is very low. It's not just about structured workouts. Though, HRV is a consistent reminder how important other stressors are in your life.

Resting heart rate is just your body trying to talk to you...and it's up to us to figure it out! Hope this helps!