Super Contributor

Re: Anyone knowledgeable about Resting Heart Rates?

On 2/12/2015 sidsmom said:

Don't want to take this OT, but fruit sugars are much, much different than simple, processed sugars. Fruit provides fiber that slows down the release of natural sugars. If you are active, there isn't a need to limit fruit consumption.

Agreed. Not all sugars are the same.

Just like all carbs are not the same.

Just like all fats are not the same.

Certain carbs are better for you than others.

Certain fats are better for you than others.

Honored Contributor

I am knowledgeable about resting heart rates/aerobic heart rate and anaerobic threshold heart rate.
hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Don't want to take this OT, but fruit sugars are much, much different than simple, processed sugars. Fruit provides fiber that slows down the release of natural sugars. If you are active, there isn't a need to limit fruit consumption.

Thank you for providing clarification for the OP. I was about to indicate same.

Super Contributor

On 2/12/2015 sfnative said:

Thank you for providing clarification for the OP. I was about to indicate same.

I appreciate this as I love fruit. Would you say that a person can eat as much fruit as they would like as long as they are active?

ETA: How much does fruit affect blood sugar? I am not diabetic but both my grandmothers were.

Honored Contributor

If your cholestrol levels are a concern, fruit intake should be limited to 2-3x/day. Since fruit tastes so darn good (!), it's easy to over-consume in terms of calories. If you're active, fruit provides the carbohydrates needed to fuel your workout.

Today's media has done an excellent job by pulling back the curtain on the evils of sugar. But unfortunately, it's "throw the baby out w/ the bath water" thinking. Somehow, fruit got tangled up in this thinking & the public automatically associates fruit as equal or worse than processed sugar.

Fruit is a whole food. Almost in the same breathrough, people mention diabetes. There are many "nutritional camps" on the treating of diabetes. I come from the Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based camp to treat diabetes. Eliminate the fat, the blood sugars will drop. Eliminate animal products (meat, eggs, dairy), the blood sugars will drop. Eliminate processed foods, the blood sugars will drop. Fat will sloooow the blood down....so much that eating an innocent orange (which is perfect on its own) after consuming fat, the blood sugars will rise....and everyone will blame the innocent orange instead of the fat being consumed. Drs. John McDougall & Calwell Esselstyn are two excellent resources for further research on a LFWFPB diet.

Trusted Contributor

Berries, green apples, lemons, and limes are considered low sugar fruits, many of these with good amounts of fiber.

Super Contributor

This is interesting to follow. My RHR is usually 59-60. When I am not juice fasting I have very high BP, but the heart rate stays low. When juice fasting, BP gets normal and RHR lowers into the high 50's. - Bird