Honored Contributor

Are there ANY reasonable dentists left🤔😮😳

[ Edited ]

I am correcting my typos...grrr sorry I don't know why so many.  Maybe old eyes🤓🤓 Sorry!

Finally got a dental appt for plain ole 6 month cleaning today. 

Appointment was at 10:30 hygienist took me at 11:15😡.  Then proceeded to do

• 1oral cancer scan
  • full mouth  xrays
  • panaromic bone and jaw film
  • then had assistant come in to do "treatment plan"
  • then did perio   probe scan
  • then had dds come in to discuss: implants to replace my 11 caps & boneloss.

this took 2.5 hours -- then the insurance manager came in  with treatment and payment plan info😮.  Wanted me to sign I agreed...no way! 

I almost choked when the treatment plan was over $3,000 for perio cleaning  (without new crowns) & all

I went for was a regular 6 month dental cleaning😳.

I've been trying for months to find a dentist whose not for profit only!  all these new dentists expect one to pay for a vacation!!! not me just want cleaning....here's the kicker

• I've  never been told have bad gums
  • previous dds never suggested all my caps re-done

Worse thing, I never got cleaning😡since I wouldn't sign financials with fee of 4,400 for 5 visits (included 1 cap & 1 filling).I walked out.  

I just want a cleaning not refinance my house todo it!!!

Any suggestions -- the caps were estimated at $11,600 ($1850/cap + 2 possible posts) unless I need root canals or I decide to get implants at approx. $21,000.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are there ANY reasonable dentists left🤔😮😳

I can so relate to your experience...only I fell for the treatment planSmiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know the condition of OPs teeth but no one should have to sign a treatment plan in order to get a cleaning.  We go to a chain in Phoenix and so far have been pleased.  DH did with a treatment plan but he really needs treatment.  I, on the other hand, was never asked to do that.  I get a cleaning/checkup every six months and that is usually it.  I'm 75 but the best part of me (by far) is my teeth!

Esteemed Contributor

I had an experience similar to yours but never went back to that dentist. I found another dentist who was honest. He only did the work that needed to be done. I am still going to him.

I moved from CA to CO. I had been with a dentist for over 30 years. I was traumatized to find out how dishonest some of them are. It is sad to say but buyer beware. I would go to the dentist every six months, so I knew he was a crook. 

Don't let someone bully you into signing a plan that is for their benefit. Just read reviews on the dentist and see what other patients have had to say. I wish you luck. It is not easy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are there ANY reasonable dentists left???

I find that large corporations are buying up dental practices as dentists retire.  That's  what happened when my dear dentist of 20 years left.  Now they've had a series of barely compentent dentists, each staying about 6 months.  Their bookkeeping is a nightmare.  I won't go back there.  It's  hard to find a new locally owned dental practice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Walking out was the best thing to do. We have so many dentists for our town it's ridiculous!
Respected Contributor

When I lived in WA, I went to the same dentist for 23 years & adored him.  He was a graduate of the UW School Of Dentistry. 

When I moved to Tucson, AZ 13 years ago, I had no idea who to choose for my new dentist (my WA dentist knew no one practicing down here), so I went on my dental insurance's website & looked for a dentist that was also a graduate of the UW dental school.  I found one that's only 2 miles from my house & have been going to him for 13 years now. He was a WA native & had practiced in WA for several years until a college buddy asked him to come down & join his practice. The other dentist has since retired after he was in an ATV accident & broke his neck & once healed, was no longer able to bend him neck to work on patients anymore.

I like that he (like my WA dentist did) has some of my teeth on "watches" to keep an eye them for future problems, but has never tried to get me to do a bunch of drastic stuff.  I've mostly just had my usual cleanings every 6 months by the hygienist & he does an exam & most of the time, he just continues to watch the ones he's concerned with.   At my last appt. one of my old huge molars (probably 25+ years old) in the back had finally developed a crack in it & was failing, so he did a crown on that tooth.  I don't know if the UW teaches their dental students in conservative methods or I just lucked out with the 2 dentists I've had, but I like that they aren't pushy.

Valued Contributor

I have my 4 month dental appointment this morning.   I have been going to this dentist for about 15 years but my old hygienist moved so today I get a new one.

I so understand your concerns.  My thoughts are that they need to pay for their new equipment.  Mine bought a new X-ray machine that shows more detail.   Now he is gradually replacing my old crowns (I told him one a year which is what I can afford).   

But my bigger issue is with the Cavitron.  My teeth are very sensitive.  My previous hygienist told me that if she didn't use it - I would need deep scaling.   I am not sure I believe her.   My sisters don't have that done and have told me I should just say no.   I do plan to talk to the new one today.  I dread the cleanings.

So the bottom line is that you can always say no.  Its your teeth.  If I were you - I would change dentists.  They sound more interested in your money than your mouth.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  So proud of you for not signing their form! An overzealous DDS is not someone I'd be willing to have working on my teeth, either. Keep walking out until you find a DDS who is professional, has ethics and integrity.

Your own teeth are too important in your overall health to mess around with such drastic unnessary (and expensive) measures.

Ask friends, business associates or others you respect. They will provide you with names of reputable dentists in your community. My friends and I always use trusted referrals; never use ads or lists for medical or home repairs or anything else. Best wishes on finding a great DDS who will provide you with a good exam and cleaning!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Wow! I would be annoyed too!

I've been going to the same dentist for over 25 years.  He's a small independent family dentist right in town. He doesn't even have a dental hygienist working for him....he does his own cleaning, etc. and the most I have to wait for him is about 10 minutes....never longer.

While he isn't cheap (I don't think any dentists are) he's reasonable and I feel that he doesn't try to push services that I don't really need.  I appreciate that.