Respected Contributor

Re: Are there ANY reasonable dentists left🤔😮😳

@homedecor1 wrote:

Finally got a dental appt for plain ole 6 month cleaning today. 

Appointment was at 10:30 hygienist took me at 11:15😡.  Then proceeded to do

• 1oral cancer scan
  • full mouth  xrays
  • panaromic bone and jaw film
  • then had assistant come in to do "treatment plan"
  • then did perio   probe scan
  • then had dds come in to discuss: implants to replace my 11 caps & boneloss.

this took 2.5 hours -- then the insurance manager came in  with treatment and payment plan info😮.  Wanted me to sign I agreed...no way! 

I almost choked when the treatment plan was over $3.000 for perio cleaning  (without new crowns) & all

I went for was a regular 6 month dental cleaning😳.

I've been trying for months to find a dentist whose not for profit only!  all these new dentists expect one to pay for a vacation!!! not me just wantcleaning....here's the kicker

• 've never been toldI have bad gums
  • previous dds never suggested all mycaps redon

Worse thing, I never got cleaning😡since I wouldnt sign financials with fee of 4;400 for 5 visits.  I walked out  

I just want a cleaning not refinance my house todo it!!!

Any suggestions -- the caps were estimated at11,760 unless I need root canals or I decide to get implants. it's more like $21,000...No way!!!

u

Wow,  that is crazy!  I went to my small-town dentist and he pulled all my wisdom teeth and only charged me $100.  I don't think he even took x-rays.  I realize that's hardly the norm nowadays.

Trusted Contributor

I went to the same dentist for more than thirty five years .  He retired and sold his practice, but he took a couple of years to sell it to the right person - someone who shared his values and would work independently.  I decided to stick with the new dentist and I'm glad I did.  He is excellent.  He kept the former dentist's staff who have all been working there for years and he also made a few changes that have made the practice even better than it was under the old dentist.  For now, I'm staying put.  No extras are ever sold to me.  I did have emergency work done back in February and the cost was high, but my insurance covered a good portion of it. I know I'm fortunate because I keep hearing about these new corporate dental practices that seem to focus more on making money than good dental care. 

Honored Contributor

It's very hard to find a general dentist.  Around here they are few and far between.  They're all dental arts centers.

Honored Contributor

I consider the dentist I use quite reasonable, but that's reasonable for where I live and what my teeth /mouth have needed so far.   I assume prices vary widely depending upon where we live. I know that's true within my own widely scattered family.

I've been using the same office for about 40 years now through several dentists,  but if I wanted to change I'd investigate with friends. 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Finally got a dental appt for plain ole 6 month cleaning today. 

Appointment was at 10:30 hygienist took me at 11:15😡.  Then proceeded to do

• 1oral cancer scan
  • full mouth  xrays
  • panaromic bone and jaw film
  • then had assistant come in to do "treatment plan"
  • then did perio   probe scan
  • then had dds come in to discuss: implants to replace my 11 caps & boneloss.

this took 2.5 hours -- then the insurance manager came in  with treatment and payment plan info😮.  Wanted me to sign I agreed...no way! 

I almost choked when the treatment plan was over $3.000 for perio cleaning  (without new crowns) & all

I went for was a regular 6 month dental cleaning😳.

I've been trying for months to find a dentist whose not for profit only!  all these new dentists expect one to pay for a vacation!!! not me just wantcleaning....here's the kicker

• 've never been toldI have bad gums
  • previous dds never suggested all mycaps redon

Worse thing, I never got cleaning😡since I wouldnt sign financials with fee of 4;400 for 5 visits.  I walked out  

I just want a cleaning not refinance my house todo it!!!

Any suggestions -- the caps were estimated at11,760 unless I need root canals or I decide to get implants. it's more like $21,000...No way!!!

u

WOW! That's very pushy and aggressive. I would definitely find another dentist! No way I'd go for such an aggressive approach. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LexaMom wrote:

But my bigger issue is with the Cavitron.  My teeth are very sensitive.  My previous hygienist told me that if she didn't use it - I would need deep scaling.   I am not sure I believe her.   My sisters don't have that done and have told me I should just say no.   

@LexaMomI also have really senstive teeth/gums and my dentist told me, day one, that the hygenist would NOT use Cavitron on me. I get the old fashioned hand-scaling done every cleaning.  My teeth/gums remain healthy and happy that way and I am not in pain! My unsoliciated advice: do not let any dentist convince you that you have to have ultrasonic cleanings. If they try to, find a new dentist. 

Respected Contributor

I personally know and socialize with 3 dentist and they are all money driven. And they don't even back off the aggressive sales tactics for friends. 

Respected Contributor

I've been going to the same practice for 50 years.  The original dentist retired some time ago, and his replacement is very good, but I fear his retirement may be coming soon as well.  I have a lot of crowns and 2 root canals, and I try to take good care of my teeth, but age definitely plays a role.

I had a molar that they were "watching."  When I went back for my 6 month cleaning/check. The dental assistant said she saw puss coming from the gum.  I admit it had been swollen and sore, but I wasn't prepared for what happened next.  This is a tooth that previously had a root canal and a crown.  The dentist said it had to be pulled because it was infected at the root and bone loss had already happened.  OMG, how does this happen?

He sent me to an oral surgeon, and this is where the real money goes.  It was about $1,000 to have the tooth pulled (insurance paid about half).  I had to pay my share before they would pull it, of course.  I'm going back the end of this month for the implant, which will be $2,250, and is not covered by insurance.  Then, I have to go back to my dentist for a new crown over the implant.

I'm still in shock, but I hate this hole in my mouth, and it's so hard to chew on the other side without biting my mouth or tongue (I had already lost a molar on that side when I was 16).

Laura loves cats!
Regular Contributor

Let me give you a dentist's perspective on this.

What most patients don't understand is that as dental professionals, we are obligated to identify, diagnose and suggest treatment for EVERYTHING in the mouth.

Anything we miss is considered negligence.

Anyone coming in for a whole mouth exam is going to geta massive treatment plan, identifying everything that needs to be done to create "ideal" dental health.

The important part is, at least in our office, is that signing it ONLY means you have read it and have had it explained to you - NOT signing up for everything in that plan. Many people are overwhelmed when they get one of these, but I explain that this is the ideal and now they can decide if they want to do any of it.

We are obligated to provide a standard of care and will refuse harmful treatment...for example a lady I had yesterday had  a severely decayed, abscessed tooth and insisted on just getting a filling. I  explained why I would not do that because it is really bad for her health as it will swell up etc. I explained that it would be a root canal or extraction as the only choices that are acceptable for her health, I let her decide from those two choices.

As far as the new "fancy" equipment" purchases...yeah, guess why we have to get all that stuff...to better diagnose all those those things that used to get missed with wet xrays etc. We are held to the highest standard of care, that's why we have to buy that insanely expensive technology. Patients have no idea how much our equipment and supplies cost. You would faint at the sight of our monthly supplies bill!....and that is after our supplies guy searches for the best prices and haggles and negotiates for the best price! You have no idea!

If someone comes in with a single tooth problem, like a toothache for example, they don't get that whole treatment plan workup, unless they are also becoming a new patient in the office and not just an emergency treatment.

This is what dentists have to deal with.

As far as integrity goes, I have found that most of the people in my profession are good people who want the best for their patients. There always are a few bad apples in every profession. You have to find someone who you can communicate with and trust.

Valued Contributor

Well - I just got home.. and I'm disgusted.

First of all its a new hygienist and I assumed my own dentist would be there at least - well he wasn't - they hadn't told me I would be seen by a different dentist.

And - even tho they just saw me 4 months ago - now I need 3 fillings,  should get a wisdom tooth removed, and I have a dry mouth so my roots are getting soft and are cavity prone.

If this had come from my own dentist it would be different. But I told them I would have him do two fillings but wanted to talk to him about the rest.  They want to do fluoride treatments too.  

Actually, the Cavitron wasnt as bad - she used a lower setting.  

Why is it so stressful to go to the dentist?