Respected Contributor

I also take Omeprazole ... no eating after dinner ....and no Chocolate ....

Valued Contributor

Dr. Oz recommends sleeping on your left side.

Esteemed Contributor

You seem to already have the 'food' guidance.

My biggest cause is laying down while I still have food in my stomach.

Raise the head of your bed.

If you use a standard bed, just slip a 'flat' pillow or folded blanket between the mattress and box spring so the upper end of the mattress is slightly elevated.

(not to much or you'll wake with a backache)

Then use whatever pillow you like to sleep with.

Valued Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@FlowerBear Search Baking Soda and water for reflux.  It's not for everyone especially if you are on a low sodium diet.  I take 1/2 tsp in 4oz water when I need it and it works for me.

I agree.  I’ve used baking soda and water for several years for reflux.  It seems pretty innocuous, unless you’re sodium restricted.  However, be prepared to belch like a drunken sailor.

Trusted Contributor

I had it for several years. You can control it w/diet & excercise. I watched my diet closely, what were the triggers & eliminated that from my diet. Added it at a later date in smaller quantities. Eg: Tangerine, pineapple, pizza, bread(even whole wheat), junk food were my triggers but spicey food was not!

Eating out was a major trigger, no matter how mild the food was. Its the oils, fat, etc they add in restaurants. I reintroduced fruits that gave me grief first thing in the morning. now I can pretty much everything without any issues. Mild reflex appears rarely but not enough to cause me grief. Excercise & eating home cooked meals is key. I workout at least 30 mins/5-6 days/wk. Hope this helps.  

Super Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have had this issue for a long time. I hate it but I try and eat right to stay in control over it . This might be helpful. 

Menu for Acid Reflux | Our Everyday Life

Breakfast

Try some hot oatmeal with a little skim milk. Because the fat in whole milk could make your symptoms worse, skim milk is your best choice. Skip the orange juice and other acidic juice choices -- if you want juice try some apple juice. Try low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt with fresh fruit, along with a bran muffin. An English muffin or toast with jelly and a wedge of cantaloupe would also make a good breakfast that shouldn't give anyone heartburn.

Lunch

Fill a low-fat tortilla with chicken or tuna salad made with fat-free mayonnaise. Make a chef's salad with strips of chicken breast, cucumbers, carrots, sprouts and light dressing. Add a few tortilla chips and a glass of skim milk and you should have a meal that will sit right in everyone's stomach. Try a black bean and vegetable soup with a wholegrain dinner roll for a nutritious and satisfying lunch.

Dinner

Choose lean cuts of meat such as chicken, turkey, fish and pork to serve the family. Prepare the meats using healthier methods of baking, broiling or braising. Deep-frying can make acid reflux worse. Add lots of fresh or cooked vegetables in stir-fries and salads and as side dishes. Always use low-fat dips and light dressings to avoid the GERD symptoms that come with fats. Try baked potatoes with low-fat sour cream, rice pilaf with fresh vegetables, and pasta tossed with a little olive oil and fresh basil. Don't forget to add fresh fruit to the dinner menu -- either colorful fruit salads, berry medleys or wedges of honeydew or watermelon.

Snacks

Eating smaller meals can help control acid reflux symptoms. Instead of eating three large meals, try eating smaller meals and adding one or two snacks in between. Keep the snacks light and nutritious, serving foods like a half bagel with fat-free cream cheese, a low-fat cereal bar and sugar-free non-fat yogurt. Don't forget fresh fruits such as bananas, papaya, pears and peaches.

Foods to Avoid

Chocolate can make acid reflux symptoms worse, so try to offer different dessert options. Carbonated beverages and caffeine can also contribute to more GERD symptoms. Avoid foods with high acidity levels, like tomatoes and citrus fruits. Steer clear of high fat foods like anything deep-fried, as well as spicy foods, alcohol and onions.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Omeprazole is the worst one to take for more than 14 days at a time and is what Prilosec is.  See the directions on the box stating how long to safely take it.  That is one of the meds that can cause renal failure as well as other things.  I have a vocal cord issue that is associated with reflux.  I did take it for 3 months and then was weened off of it.  I lost 30 pounds because it helped the vocal cord issue and I could up my workouts and that helped with the reflux.  I stay away from many foods but have no real diet plan.  I can go on Prilosec every 2 months for 14 days if it comes back.  Aloe Cure has worked well and I now take Andrew Lessman's Aloe daily and I haven't had to go on Prilosec for 4 months now and can eat moderate amounts of even chocolate and spaghetti and pizza sauces.

Honored Contributor

I got this from someone a couple months ago that has said this program killed reflux and gerd dead. It could be worth checking out too!

http://whole9life.com/

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone with Reflux

[ Edited ]

(thread title only)

@FlowerBear

Yep. Very first Endoscopy, which was Asymptomatic, came back with:

GERD/Hiatal Hernia/Inflamed Esophagus/Barrett's Esophagus.

Been on Nexium 40mg.X 2 a day ever since, and that was close to 20 years ago. Have had no less than 20+ Endo's since, not for the GERD, but for the Barrett's Esophagus, which is a precursor to Esophageal Cancer.

ETA:  Have you tried sleeping in a recliner? I have been sleeping in one for close to 30 years, and? I believe that is why I was Asymptomatic to the 4 Diagnosis I mentioned above. Lying prone seems to be part of the problem for many that have GERD. Just sayin! 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)