Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone used a Nurse Practitioner on a regular basis?  After spending most of the day in ER due to another sports injury (this retirement thing is going to kill me), the RN on duty suggested that instead of finding a local GP that it might be better for me to get a NP.  She said that many are very qualified and take their jobs very seriously.  I am old school and just never thought of using anyone but a licensed physician.  Thoughts are appreciated.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Yes, I have been seeing a GYN NP for years now. I totally trust them. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Nurse Practitioner?

[ Edited ]

Every nurse practioner I've ever had has been excellent.

I think they are very good at keeping up to date on medications and also natural ways to do things.

I always appreciated and trusted their opinions and the ones I had gave some great advice that I hadn't heard before.

I think they were good at explaining things too.

And @SXMGirl-

I hope you heal fast!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Has anyone used a Nurse Practitioner on a regular basis?  After spending most of the day in ER due to another sports injury (this retirement thing is going to kill me), the RN on duty suggested that instead of finding a local GP that it might be better for me to get a NP.  She said that many are very qualified and take their jobs very seriously.  I am old school and just never thought of using anyone but a licensed physician.  Thoughts are appreciated.

qtotally can relate...

Just like the DR & RN it depends on how good and knowledgeable  the NP actually is.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @hopi@on the bay@conlt, I am going to research and find the best one in the area.  It is always good to hear that others are pleased.

Honored Contributor

I prefer them over a Dr.

Honored Contributor

I've never seen a NP regularly but I have seen them when I couldn't get an appointment with my GP.  I've gotten excellent advice from them.  One was able to finally suggest the correct BP meds, which I'm still taking.  Another told me how to get rid of a lingering cold.  I'll gladly see a NP if my doctor isn't available.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I have loved every NP I've ever had.  My primary care dr. had one for years and I much preferrred seeing her over him.  I was very sad when he moved his practice and doesn't have one anymore.  I've always felt like they listen more than a lot of MDs do.  If I had a choice, I'd see a NP over an MD every time for routine things.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, thanks.  I just put in the parameters and instead of getting the ones 5 miles from home, I am getting notifications for some in three different states.  I guess they are not as prevalent as I thought.  I know that I will find one, just have to start asking around.

Esteemed Contributor

@lkat, thanks.  I am now feeling very confident about using one if I can actually find one that one that will not take hours to get to or crossing a bridge to another state to make an appointment.