Respected Contributor

Anyone with Reflux

[ Edited ]

Does anyone here deal with reflux issues? 

I dont wanna take those meds they always prescribe due to possible side effects long term.

That is always what the doctors put you on. They seem to offer no other options.

Do you have food options, plans, suggestions, things that work for you? I avoid citrus, raw onions and peppers, fried foods, tomatoes.

Honored Contributor

DH was prescribed Omeprazole instead of taking rolaids  most days. He also has cut back on coffee and onions.

Valued Contributor

Eliminate coffee and have small meals. Don't eat late at night.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone with Reflux

[ Edited ]

I dont eat late at night and dont drink coffee or tea. I dont lay down for a few hours after eating.  If I overeat I notice thats not good, not good anyways even without reflux.  Wondering if you have a food plan that you use???

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBearTwo years ago when a vascular surgeon encouraged me to eat less (especially high cholesteral foods) and walk more so that we wouldn't have to do surgery for a partially blocked carotid artery, I took his advice.  Two benefits -  I lost over 50 pounds and I almost never have any reflux.  When I do, one Tums (or CVS alternative) makes me comfortable again. but the small roll I have is nearly a year old!

Certainly not saying my experience will work for others, but i's been good for me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone with Reflux

[ Edited ]

I take Omeprazole and not the ones that causes renal damage.

Antiacids is a very temporary fix and does not help to control the reflux.

Doc dont offer other meds because there is none.  You can not eat a lot of foods, however that is not much help either.  There are times when a glass of water will cause my reflux and therefore my hiatal hernia.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@FlowerBear Search Baking Soda and water for reflux.  It's not for everyone especially if you are on a low sodium diet.  I take 1/2 tsp in 4oz water when I need it and it works for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve been dealing with reflux for 20 years. I’ve tried it all. In the last year I’ve been doing much better.

I avoid onions & spice.I still drink decaf coffee in moderation . I also drink lots of water. I walk atleast 20-30 minutes per day. I don’t lay down for 3 hours after I eat.

I also take Andrew Lessman’s Digest Assure before meals, as well as 1 Ultimate Friendly Flora per day.This has made a big difference in my life.I very seldom have a problem now.When I do 2 Tums seems to take care of it.

Good luck.🍀👍 

Honored Contributor

Don’t eat before bed,raise the front of the bed up a couple of inches,eat low fat meals and no carbonated drinks.Try to live with as little stress as possible.

Honored Contributor

E575BBDD-3CC7-4496-9D3E-DB608FC47CB2.jpeg

45151B18-6AD2-4CEB-8889-A9DAB665CF50.png