Contributor

Anyone taking Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) - advice please?!

I have been recently diagnosed with connective tissue disorder and prescribed plaquenil. It's taken a while to get to the diagnosis - lots of tests/X-ray/MRI/bloodwork etc . After discussing with my rheumatologist and lots of thinking I decided to take the stuff.

Started out at 200mg for 7 days and then up to 400mg (basically 200mg twice a day). I read all the information and see that there are a number of mild side effects.

My question to anyone taking this medication is how bad, if any, were your gastro-intestinal upsets with this drug, and do they go away as your body get used to the medication?

I felt a little off when taking one a day, but since upping the dose to 2 a day I have felt really bad. I woke up Saturday with what I'm assuming is acid-reflux since I felt like I had a tennis ball in my chest. I had a cup of tea with my breakfast and the hot liquid 'burned' on the spot where I felt the tennis ball feeling. I've never had reflux or indigestion in my life, and this coupled with excessive gas and bathroom issues - though not exactly diarrhea - I'm about done after a week and a half.

I'm going to talk to my doctor at the end of the week, but I'm hoping someone here can give me their personal experience also. If these symptoms will ease that's OK, but I cannot see a lifetime of these really, since the symptoms being treated were very mild and only were a swollen foot.

Thank you so much!