Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone dealing with hammer toe?

@ALRATIBA : Thank you for your help. That is what I will order to wear during the day and will order the splint for nighttime. Praying that you will have continued success. ❤️❤️Southern Bee

Trusted Contributor

I'm a senior and have had hammertoes on right foot for decades, probably due to wearing incorrect size shoes way back in high school and college. They do not bother me at all as long as I wear shoes of the correct length with a deep toe box area. The toe area of many dress shoes like pumps and flats is just way too shallow. 

Honored Contributor

The middle toe on my right foot is a hammer toe.  I always wear a "toe crutch" that I get from Amazon.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have one left over from fused bones.

For regular shoes I often wrap it so it won't chaff.

But the best solution is shoes with a deep toe box.  New Balance makes some nice ones.  Nike kills me.

Regular Contributor

I had two hammertoes down on right foot waiting for the world to be back to normal before I have the left foot done. Recovery is tough no doubt, and I did it before retirement! I had pain on and off for many months....but I do not regret it for one minute.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you have Gout? Your symptoms sound to me like you have Gout. I had hammer toes on both my little toes over 20 years ago. It hurt like the dickens to walk because my toes rubbed my shoes. A foot doctor did my surgery in her office and I have never had the problem again. She told me that if I waited, my feet would just get worse. 

The recovery was hard, with some pain and I could not wear shoes for about 2 months. I had surgical shoes, then graduated to tennis shoes, then regular shoes. 

Back then we did not have the nice stretchy shoes like we have now. I bet it would have been easier for me to wear some sketchers with the bungee cords once I was out of the surgical shoes.  

I would definitely see a Podiatrist. 

Honored Contributor

@CJC : The shoes that I wear have a wide toe box. Toes have room to move. I am retired and my moto is- comfort top priority. ❤️Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette : Just noticed the toe and determined to do something before it gets worse. Purchased from Amazon the toe sprint and tube cut to size separator.❤️Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining : Yep- shoe style and something for comfort very important.❤️Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@felixmom : I agree and understand. Had multiple orthopedic surgery and dealt with a lot of pain, painful and difficult physical therapy with a long recovery period. Hope you will soon be through with everything and on the road to recovery pain free. ❤️Southern Bee