Respected Contributor

Re: Any prediabetic diet suggestions?

[ Edited ]

I mean no offense, but if you Google "Dr. Neal Barnard quack" you will find that he is written up at the NCAHF, National Council Against Health Fraud.  People are free to follow any diet they want, but I'm skeptical of extreme claims and extreme diets. 

Nutrition recommendations are ever changing, as are the lists of demonized foods and miracle vitamins and supplements.  Vitamin C was supposedly a life-saver that treated a host of conditions.  Then it was vitamin E, and cardiologists even had their patients take it, though not so much anymore.  Now the big miracle vitamin is D, and the research is already starting to crumble as far as some of the claims go.  

Starch was the demon food, then sugar, then fat, and now it seems to be trending back to sugar.

A balanced diet with more or less emphasis on various things in light of certain health conditions is the only way to go.  If one is to become a vegetarian, one must get very educated about how to replace the lost nutrients, particularly amino acids and vitamin B12.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sidsmom,

Thanks for the rec! I'm going to add it to my lists of must-reads. Thanks.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee

Thank you for considering! 

Another source is nutritionfacts.org & drill down to 'Diabetes' as the subject.

Dr. Michael Greger has a bazillion videos about diabetes, insulin resistance, etc.  He & all plant based doctors will say the same thing.....reduce the fat/animal in the diet, diabetes will become a thing of the past.   

In fact, just reducing the fat in the diet to 10-15% will result in normal blood sugars very, very quickly. 

Once you read/skim through the book, I would love to hear your thoughts.   

If you don't want to buy the book, there's TONS of free online material about low fat plant based WOE for diabetes reversal. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's Dr. Michael Greger's write-up at HumaneWatch.  Some doctors are picking apart his video and his claims.

http://www.humanewatch.org/hsus_doc_exposed_as_schlock/

As I said, people can eat what they want, but some of these diets can be dangerous. 

Respected Contributor

I guess times have changed.  Approximately 15 years ago my glucose levels were around 110.  I asked about a diagnosis of "pre-diabetes" as I worked in the medical field.

His response to me was, "You either have type II diabetes or you don't.  It's that simple".  He told me to lose weight and exercise.

I did neither.  I am now on Metformin 500mg. once a day with an A1c of 6.4.  My morning readings are anywhere from 100-115.

My diagnosis is "Type II diabetes".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms X wrote:

I mean no offense, but if you Google "Dr. Neal Barnard quack" you will find that he is written up at the NCAHF, National Council Against Health Fraud.  People are free to follow any diet they want, but I'm skeptical of extreme claims and extreme diets. 

I visited said website.

Has a "clickbait" feel w/ all those lists.

At least this guy who runs the site is an equal opportunity basher.

- Dr. Nicholas Perricone

- Dr. Andrew Weil

- Dr. David Perlmutter 

- Robert Kennedy, Jr. ....?!

- just to name a few 'quacks' 

Have an unknown, retired psychiatrist create a website, begging for donations, post here's-a-list of popular, well-known doctors in their respective fields who are described "quacks", and watch the CLICKBAIT cash roll in....not to mention a possible virus to your PC.

Can't believe people fall for stuff like that. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms X wrote:

Here's Dr. Michael Greger's write-up at HumaneWatch.  Some doctors are picking apart his video and his claims.

As I said, people can eat what they want, but some of these diets can be dangerous. 

Again....a Clickbait site by an unknown author.  

Dr. Greger doesn't claim anything.

Everyone knows that.

His videos are based on tons of cited research & studies.

Surprised this unknown author hasn't tried that angle for

Clickbait Cash. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom,

Dr. Weil...?? a quack?? Really? I don't consider him a quack. I 've read a lot of his pubs and learned much valuable info. I think many people would agree with me.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

Everyone knows that.

Clickbait Cash. 

These were what sounded like reputable doctors criticizing his claims.  I'm not trying to insult you sidsmom.  I just don't agree that the diet you advocate is necessarily safe.  You need fat, and I don't think the vegetables you talk about have anything but a trace of fat.  You can follow whatever diet you wish.  I just wanted to give other information that indicates these doctors' theories of health and nutrition are not mainstream.  These sites investigate what they see as scientific fraud.  They do not look AT ALL like commercial sites. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sidsmom,

Dr. Weil...?? a quack?? Really? I don't consider him a quack. I 've read a lot of his pubs and learned much valuable info. I think many people would agree with me.

@SilleeMee

Of course, intelligent people wouldn't consider him a quack.

I might not agree w/ some of Dr. Weil's methods, but a 'quack'? No.

Just shows how ridiculous this list and website is.

If citing a Clickbait Cash site as an opposed opinion

to my message is the best one can do, it's obvious a little

education is in order. 

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

Everyone knows that.

Clickbait Cash. 

You need fat, and I don't think the vegetables you talk about have anything but a trace of fat.  

Unfortunately, fat is keeping people sick.

And those people who are carrying 30-40-50-60+% of fat (sad, but true) on their body's frame & in their arterial system, don't 'need' additional fat to be 'safe'.  Most people would say being safe would be...to remove all traces of heart attacks, strokes, Diabetic comas, limb loss, on & on.  

The ideal is 10-15% of your daily calories to be fat.  

And since every food has the nutrients of Carbohydrate/Protein/Fat mix, it's easy to get 10-15% of fat calories without adding additional fatty foods...especially fat from oils & animal flesh/products.

Yes, the plant-based lifestyle is not mainstream, but it has gotten more & more notice since more & more people are dying earlier & earlier.   People are finally waking up to the heathy benefits of a plant based lifestyle...hopefully not too late.