Honored Contributor

Re: Any prediabetic diet suggestions?

@meem120 wrote:

Weight Watchers.  My husband was diagnosed same as you.  Dr said go to WW.  It worked.  Men lose so darn fast.  20 pounds gone in 2 months.  His numbers are now good.

@meem120A woman who eats low fat and exercises even two times a week for 20 minutes will lose two pounds a week.  In two months that would be sixteen.  

But, men do have a faster metabolism while women in later life are held captive from hormones.

Honored Contributor

@donutsNever go without any fat at all.  

Your body can't get the fat soluable vitamins out of your vegetables.  That's why they say to eat a "balanced" diet.

Valued Contributor

I also forgot to mention this.  A helpful term to read about is "second meal effect" -- it has to to do with how beans impact the glycemic effect of foods eaten at subsequent meals.  

If you read anything about it, you'll see why I thought you might find it helpful.  

Honored Contributor

As a side note, donuts have been one of my favorite foods - me & Homer Simpson, lol.  But when I was diagnosed, I didn't have a donut for close to two years :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My suggestion is to simply focus on better eating habits.   No food is totally off limits for me; I just focus on better choices.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My suggestion is to simply focus on better eating habits.   No food is totally off limits for me; I just focus on better choices.   

To me, that, in essence, is the key to long-term success.

Having people say to you (or saying to yourself) that you can "never have" well-loved foods you've eaten all your life any more, ever, full stop or you're not being a "good" or "compliant" diabetic is a recipe for disaster.

You shouldn't eat certain things on a daily basis, but most times you can find healthier substitutes that you can eat and enjoy daily. Save the Real Thing for once a week or once a month. Being told you can/should "never" have something is totally counterproductive IMO.

Diabetics do learn, naturally (assuming they're trying) to eat healthier over time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Interestingly, a dietician, even one who specializes in diabetes education, will allow for more carbs in the diet than most carb-conscious diabetics allow themselves. I try for a happy medium between the dieticians (too high) and the extreme low-carbers (boring and unnecessary).

Honored Contributor

Many would not consider being T2 diabetic for

months/years/decades as...'long term success'.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Many would not consider being T2 diabetic for

months/years/decades as...'long term success'.

No matter what you believe, or continually espouse, type 2 diabetes is not "curable." It does not vanish, as in can never, ever come back. The *symptoms*, i.e. elevated blood sugars, can be *kept under good control* - which is exactly what type 2 diabetics consider success.

Many would consider your claim to medical and nutritional expertise, and your assurance of "cure" as entirely invalid.