Respected Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

I know you asked for a supplement recommendation and I'm sorry I can't help you with that, but want to offer something else. When I clean up my diet my mood and anxiety and energy all greatly improve. Cleaning up, for me, means not consuming animal products, added sugars and processed foods.

I can't tell you if it's one of those things, or all of them combined that helps, though. But just think about the toxic chemicals in processed foods and if your brain and body were really meant to run on those 🤨. It is night and day how much better I feel without them. It changes my whole outlook😊. 

Best wishes infinding something that helps.

Good points. About how long did it take to see a difference?

Respected Contributor

CBD and Ashwaganda have really helped me, as does getting outside and walking and getting fresh air in my lungs. 

Trusted Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

I know you asked for a supplement recommendation and I'm sorry I can't help you with that, but want to offer something else. When I clean up my diet my mood and anxiety and energy all greatly improve. Cleaning up, for me, means not consuming animal products, added sugars and processed foods.

I can't tell you if it's one of those things, or all of them combined that helps, though. But just think about the toxic chemicals in processed foods and if your brain and body were really meant to run on those 🤨. It is night and day how much better I feel without them. It changes my whole outlook😊. 

Best wishes infinding something that helps.

Good points. About how long did it take to see a difference?

Funny you ask because I am actually going through a diet clean up this week! I started eating well again on Tuesday and yesterday I began feeling so much better and my energy is holding out today as well. But that just may be a testament to how poorly I eat when I'm not eating well as I tend to binge on sugar and processed foods😕

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@nana59 

I am sorry you are feeling anxiety.  It can leave one feeling helpless, scared, and unable to move forward.

I am not going to recommend any non-scrip solutions nor am I going to advocate for something prescription.

What works for one may not work for you; reactions with other meds or even reactions with other natural products need to be considered and I strongly suggest you seek out professional advice.

Even a conditon such an untreated thyroid conditon can cause anxiety.

I will say, however, that although you are looking to "take the edge" off-you will still have whatever underlying issue is causing the anxiety.

If there is any local meditation/stress reduction classes/workshops check them out. 

I sincerely hope whatever is driving your anxiety can be recognized and dealt with.

Natural remedies are fine and helpful; but you have to find your balance and be informed.

I wish you good health and hope you can find what it takes to help you along your search for peace.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@nana59  Excercise on a regular basis does help.  I also have found relief with the supplement L-theanine made from tea leaves.  It has a calming effect and it's the closest natural substitute for xanax IMO. 

Esteemed Contributor

thank you, everyone....i appreciate your suggestions.......and the time you took out of your day to help me.....

Valued Contributor

@BExplorer ...  I have suffered from anxiety for many years (I'm 73).  Please don't totally write off prescribed medications.  Years ago my physician prescribed a medication due to a chemical imbalance in my system and anxiety.  I also did not want to take prescribed medications but at my age now I didnt give a hoot, just let me enjoy my retirement.  It would be a different story if I were 25.  The medication worked for me and after my fear of the anxiety subsided by not experiencing it to the degree I had before, I no longer needed the medication.  I also spoke to a counselor who guided me thru the process.  Can't say enough good things about his guidance.  There are solutions out there ...  do what works for you.

Trusted Contributor

@Pantsonfire2 @So glad you got he help you needed and were able to benefit from medication while working towards getting off it 👍🏻.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Big Joanie wrote:

I know what you mean ... It may be my age or living situation

but my anxiety has been through the roof about the last 2 years .....

i've always been a worrier....but you're right...my age (71) and too much time on my hands....due to arthritis....has made things worse.....just looking for something to take the edge off......

I think the last few years have caused many people to develop anxiety. The threat of catching a fatal virus every time you encounter another human being and living in isolation are enough to cause anyone to develop or worsen anxiety levels.

I stopped watching cable news programming and it helped a lot. I try to use AP, Reuters, etc. if a story interests me. I avoid watching or reading anything owned by Rupert Murdoch (including the Wall Street Journal) and Sinclair. By eliminating the people who sensationalize the news and profit from controversy, you will be amazed how much less anxiety you will feel.

Hallmark movies have a purpose. Try watching a few. I used them to distract me last year from the angst surrounding the virus and the election. They have beautiful scenery, over-the-top decorations, and a happy ending. I think we all need a big dose of happy endings.

Good luck with coping with your anxiety. I hope you get relief soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Ashwagandha and kava-kava are two that come to mind.

I take Ashwaghanda now, but not necessarily for stress (or anxiety).

Whenever I was overly anxious before a musical performance, I took the kava-kava. It really helped!