Esteemed Contributor

any suggestions for a supplement to treat anxiety.....don't want to take a prescription med.....thank you....

Esteemed Contributor

There are quite a few naturopathic doctors who will recommend this or that (for instance niacin or CBD), but they're not as helpful as one might want. 

Respected Contributor

I know what you mean ... It may be my age or living situation

but my anxiety has been through the roof about the last 2 years .....

Regular Contributor

@nana59 

Hi, first of all, you are not alone.  I don't know what everyone is going through but I want you to know you are not alone and I guarantee you someone in your life cares about you and needs you. (I don't know why I wrote that but I get a feeling that you needed to hear it.) 

I get many supplements from Global Healing (dot) com.  Not GMO garbage but really natural, healthy supplements.  You can search for your specific need and products will be recommended.  Also, their customer service is outstanding.  Some are pricey but if you can fit in your budget, I think they are worth it.  Make sure your vitamin B12 and D levels are up, that can help with anxiety.

Good thoughts and prayers go out to you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

I know what you mean ... It may be my age or living situation

but my anxiety has been through the roof about the last 2 years .....

i've always been a worrier....but you're right...my age (71) and too much time on my hands....due to arthritis....has made things worse.....just looking for something to take the edge off......

Esteemed Contributor

@Forbidden Fruit wrote:

@nana59 

Hi, first of all, you are not alone.  I don't know what everyone is going through but I want you to know you are not alone and I guarantee you someone in your life cares about you and needs you. (I don't know why I wrote that but I get a feeling that you needed to hear it.) 

I get many supplements from Global Healing (dot) com.  Not GMO garbage but really natural, healthy supplements.  You can search for your specific need and products will be recommended.  Also, their customer service is outstanding.  Some are pricey but if you can fit in your budget, I think they are worth it.  Make sure your vitamin B12 and D levels are up, that can help with anxiety.

Good thoughts and prayers go out to you.  

thank you for your kindness.....

Honored Contributor

St John's Wort and Valerian Root are often taken for anxiety, but it's best to ask your doctor because they might lower the efficiency of some prescription medications.

Don't know much about Valerian Root, but German doctors prescribe St John's Wort.  It takes about 1-2 months to take effect.  I never used it, but those who do say it works with no side effects.  It's been used for many years, so it's proven its safety to me.  

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry you're experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you do a search on this forum as this subject has come up before. Some options off the top of my head:

- ashwagandha

- bach's rescue remedy pastilles

- plant therapy calming the child roll on 

Also make sure you're not watching/reading/listening to stress inducing things and clear any clutter in your environment.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Valued Contributor

Bach Rescue Remedy is a good one. There is Rock Water from Bach that is helpful.

Fish Oil supplements.

Acupuncture is a good treatment.

Yoga is as well.

There are CD'S by Belleruth Naperstak that apply to many different issues and listening to them is very helpful.

Also sleeping with a weighted blanket is good.

Trusted Contributor

I know you asked for a supplement recommendation and I'm sorry I can't help you with that, but want to offer something else. When I clean up my diet my mood and anxiety and energy all greatly improve. Cleaning up, for me, means not consuming animal products, added sugars and processed foods.

I can't tell you if it's one of those things, or all of them combined that helps, though. But just think about the toxic chemicals in processed foods and if your brain and body were really meant to run on those 🤨. It is night and day how much better I feel without them. It changes my whole outlook😊. 

Best wishes infinding something that helps.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt