Trusted Contributor

Has anyone been on this medication for awhile and weaned themselves off of it? I've been taking it since 2005 and want to eventually discontinue it. I'm sure my body's addicted to it at this point. I don't want to never sleep again, but I might not have a choice.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@morganjen  I say this as a certified pharmacy technician.  Please do not do this by yourself.  Ambien is a hypnotic sedative and must be stopped gradually under medical supervision especially if you have taken it for almost 15 years.  It is a controlled substance for a reason.  

If you are not going to do that, at least visit a pharmacist in your area to give some advice for free.  Under no circumstances do you want to stop cold turkey.  Doing so can cause you amazing medical issues including seizures which will not go well since your body most likely is dependent on it.  

Withdrawal always depends on how long you've taken it, what dosage you are up to, and the amount and frequency you take it.  A medical doctor or a pharmacist are the only people qualified to point you in what would be right for you.  Please see one. 

I am sure it is a quick and easy process but it has to be done right or not sleeping may not be your biggest health issue any longer.  And yes I am trying to scare you into doing it the right way with the correct information.  Google to confirm what I've said. 

Good Luck!             

Esteemed Contributor

Insomnia is soooooo very hard to deal with isn't it?  Enough to drive you crazy.

You might want to have a talk about all your medications and perhaps a less conventional solution.  They made some changes and additions for me.  There can be other solutions.

Best wishes.

Super Contributor

I have been taking Ambien for years after my husband left... Needed sleep so I stayed on Ambien.  Had a prescription through the mail and when the last pill ended the new one was to start in a few days... Without Ambien for a few days was not a good thing.  Hard time sleeping and very vivid dreams - body was reacting to withdrawal... Don't really want to stop taking it due to helpful sleep but trying to get off this med there will be some symptoms I think... Only a doctor can help with stopping...My doctor said if I need the pill he does not have any reasons to stop - sleep is needed.

Respected Contributor

I was on it a few years ago for a couple of months.  One night, I forgot to take it and just "dozed" at best the whole night.  That really scared me, because my body could literally not fall fully asleep without the drug, and I'd only been taking it a couple of months!  I read online how to gradually get off of it.  I was taking 10mg nightly, so I cut back to 7.5mg. for two weeks, then went to 5mg for two weeks, then went to 2.5mg for two weeks, then was done.  

My sleep still isn't great, but it isn't just awful.  I don't watch TV (blue light) after 8:30...I read.  And if I do get on my iPad, I have the night filter (yellow light) set to turn on at 8:30 so I'm not getting blue light that way.  I make sure I'm in bed by 10 or 10:30 and get up at 6 no matter how I've slept.  I've given up most caffeine and make sure I have it before 8 am.  

I have a new doctor who won't even prescribe the stuff.  Since you've been on it so long, I think you should see your doctor and get it off it the way he says you should.

Valued Contributor

I had to police all my Mother and Brother's prescription meds and learned valuable lessons.

Before my Mom became multiply disabled and confined to a hospital bed in my home she was taking many script meds for numerous medical conditions.

Years later my Mother became multiply disabled so she needed a caretaker during the last 20 years of her life, and I was that care taker.

Foolish Physician put my oldest brother and Mother on Ambien for sleep medications but knew it was a hypnotic and highly addictive and dangerous prescription medication.

The VA Physicians also knew my brother was a Vietnam POW Survivor who was tortured beyond belief, and he also knew my brother was a night sleep walker and also on numerous prescription medications, and my Mom's Physicians all knew my Mom was multiply disabled, blind from diabetes, and completely paralyzed lying in a hospital bed, but had her mental faculties so we spoke, laughed, hugged, prayed, and I was honored to care for her and intervien with all of her visiting Physicians who used to see her at home, and order tests using medical techs with portable devices.  

While taking Ambien script meds my brother was found 1/2 inside and 1/2 balancing on the 8th floor open window with screen up, swaying back and forth ready to  fall to his death head first, and jump. when my Mother by the grace of God pulled him back in.

My brother has no memory of doing that, and my Mother reported the Physician to Medical Authorities, and she also  filed complaints in writing in vain!!!.

Before my Mom became multiply disabled she also installed metal gates which covered all windows but could still access them to push up the screens for fresh air, and also close it.  That was an enormous expense for her but was really worth it to save her son's life.   

In writing she contacted the Veteran's Administration and the Food and Drug Administration and filed written complaints and sent them certified mail return receipt requested, so they all received all the documentation and yet, they each did absolutely nothing.

"She also requested a written reply, and both of them each chose to intentionally remain deaf and mute, and never complied".

There are other sleep prescription meds which are not highly addictive so do your own research first  on the internet, or research the latest copy of your Public Library's  Medical Reference Book which can also guide you.

Remember the life you save may be your own, and I always research everything, even prescription medications before I fill them as I ask my Physicians to also list  on a piece of paper for me the name so I can know exactly what prescription medication he/she is dispensing, and check it out, along with checking out the script insurance and my Drugstore's retail pricing, because one Medical Physician prescribed was 400.00+, and she was allergic to that medication so I did not fill that medication, and knew I had to get the real generic and brand names before I fill any medication scripts in order to do my own research.

Of course there was always an up to date Medical History listing I typed every year and added any new meds to it so all Medical Personnel treating my Mom or Brother could always refer to it before dispensing new meds.    

I also made sure to accompany a loved one to all of their medical appointments and oversee everything during their medical visits since I always had legal documents on file notarized by Elder Lawyers giving me full legal authority to make all medical decisions and had all those medical notarized documents all placed in all the medical and hospital records.

I learned a long time ago do not trust anyone unless you research yourself, and I will state it again "THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN, OR THE LIFE OF A LOVED ONE, OR FRIEND".

Esteemed Contributor

@morganjen, I saw a show about how addictive these drugs are.  It was very scary.  Please listen to the people in this thread urging you to seek professional advice to stop using this drug.  Best wishes to you.  LM

Honored Contributor

I took ambien for years without any weird side effects----took maybe 1/2 tab at night and then it stopped working during my chemo treatments---not sure why--but never had any withdrawal from stopping it. It worked very well for me for a long time.