Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

I don't drink cow's milk because, well, I'm not a calf. I drink unsweetened plain almond milk, chocolate almond milk, and soy milk.  

When I got off dairy, I no longer needed my two daily allergy medications and my problems with swelling in my face and nasal passages, and hives completely stopped.

Well, your not a almond either!!

@goldensrbest An almond isn't a mammal secreting food for its baby; it's a legume and I do eat legumes.  The milk of a mammal is perfect food for its own babies. 

@BExplorer 

Well, plus the fact that milk is to get babies started in life, not to drink their whole lifetime.   If I am recalling correctly, cow's milk is fairly high in sugar.  I think.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

I don't drink cow's milk because, well, I'm not a calf. I drink unsweetened plain almond milk, chocolate almond milk, and soy milk.  

When I got off dairy, I no longer needed my two daily allergy medications and my problems with swelling in my face and nasal passages, and hives completely stopped.

Well, your not a almond either!!

@goldensrbest An almond isn't a mammal secreting food for its baby; it's a legume and I do eat legumes.  The milk of a mammal is perfect food for its own babies. 

@BExplorer 

Well, plus the fact that milk is to get babies started in life, not to drink their whole lifetime.   If I am recalling correctly, cow's milk is fairly high in sugar.  I think.  

Yes, milk is to be used in infancy.  Kind of grosss me out that I ever drank cow's milk 🤢😅. @Tinkrbl44 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer 

I'm glad that worked for you.  I'm a big milk drinker and decided to remove all dairy from my diet for a few weeks to see if it helped my chronic stuffed up runny nose.  I hate having to take Zyrtec every day, but without it my nose and sinuses make it hard to function.  

So I eliminated all dairy and I've been using oat milk in my coffee and my oatmeal, which is actually not bad.  But the allergies are no better, so I'll be going back to my beloved milk, cheese and yogurt.  

I've had a lifetime of allergies, allergy tests, and allergy shots so at this point I'll just live with it. But it's good to hear that someone got some relief.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer 

I'm glad that worked for you.  I'm a big milk drinker and decided to remove all dairy from my diet for a few weeks to see if it helped my chronic stuffed up runny nose.  I hate having to take Zyrtec every day, but without it my nose and sinuses make it hard to function.  

So I eliminated all dairy and I've been using oat milk in my coffee and my oatmeal, which is actually not bad.  But the allergies are no better, so I'll be going back to my beloved milk, cheese and yogurt.  

I've had a lifetime of allergies, allergy tests, and allergy shots so at this point I'll just live with it. But it's good to hear that someone got some relief.

I'm sorry you didn't get any relief @shoesnbags!  Living with allergies can be frustrating 🥴. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@FLgardener - I use Almond and Coconut milk as alternatives to cow milk.  If you do an online search for "Dr. Shiv Chopra and rBGH", you will find yet another reason why some people do not wish to drink milk in our country.  

Trusted Contributor

Took me a little time to get used to it, but I love it in cereal and I use it for baking.   I just can't stand the Almond/Coconut variety.   I only by the Blue Diamond Almond Milk in Unsweetened Original, no other flavor added.

I really don't taste the almonds in my cereal, only if I drink it alone.

It's not as filling as milk in my opinion.   I see they are advertising a thicker version of Blue Diamond.  Not sure if I'd like the consistency.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest 

Apparently Store-Bought Almond Milk Doesn’t Actually Contain Almonds

How many almonds are really in that carton...?

We’ve all heard the nasty rumors about almond milk – it’s saturated in sugar, it’s pretty unhealthy, and it contains literally no almonds. Guess what… not surprisingly, these rumors are pretty dang accurate.

A lawsuit brought against the almond milk brand Almond Breeze, owned by Blue Diamond, accused the company of simply misleading and deceiving consumers – its “almond milk” only contains 2% of almonds – yes, 2 freakin’ percent.

The lawsuit claims that the carton is deceiving, since it clearly states that the milk is “made from real almond.” Plus, the carton includes pictures of almonds – the most controversial: a huge, overflowing handful of almonds.

The lawsuit also states that the packaging fools customers into believing the milk is made mostly from almonds, which it hardly does. And it tricks us into being healthy, which it is unfortunately not. Yeah, you read that right – almond milk ain’t healthy, kids.

So what is a carton of almond milk actually made of? The answer is very unsettling: it’s mostly water, sugar, carrageenan – a substance used for its thickening properties – and sunflow....

Okay, what?

Yeah. So it’s pretty clear that it’s really not that good for you – check out that sugar content.

Fun fact: the recommended daily intake of added sugar for adults is between 27-35 grams. So two glasses of vanilla almond milk, and you’ve reached your limit. But even if you buy unsweetened almond milk, you will still be faced with a ****** ton of artificial ingredients – remember the carrageenan and sunflower lectium. Yeah, gross #af.

Okay, so it is clear that many store-bought almond milks are not pure or healthy, and they really shouldn’t be consumed. But this does not mean quit on almond milk – actually quite the opposite. Instead, buy fre$h almond milk or make your own.

Because of the wonderful health benefits of real almond milk – high in antioxidants, high in minerals and vitamins, including iron and potassium, and pretty low in calories – add it to your diet.

https://spoonuniversity.com/news/apparently-store-bought-almond-milk-doesnt-actually-contain-almonds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUcbSRjtP8

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: Almond milk

[ Edited ]

I like to use a little Almond milk in my frozen fruit smoothies to give it a creamy taste.  I do prefer cow's milk for my cereal and in recipes.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Frequent Contributor

States on all boxes of organic soy non-dairy beverage and organic non-dairy oat. Consume within 7-10 days after opening. Even though it shows date on top of each box. We buy both products and, use to make ice-cream, and put in our cereal. But, i use the oat beverage to bake with and everything comes out very good.

Honored Contributor

I use all the time but the only one I like is the Great Value at Walmart. Tried many brands of it and never cared for them.

I get the unsweetened plain!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller