Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs    I have 2 different scripts for which the pills are quite long.  The only way I am successful at swallowing them is to be sure I line each up separately on my tongue front to back.  If one goes sideways on my tongue, I can't swallow it.    

Honored Contributor

Some people and family put all their pills in their mouth at once. I cringe every time!!!Man Surprised

There is NO way ever ever I could do that.

Im thankful I can take smaller pills one at a time Man Wink

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@millieshops  I sure couldnt either if any pill thats long went sideways!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs 

Am sure you have plenty of company. I however am not among them. I take 6 in the morning and 8 at night, all in 1 swallow. Think the biggest ones are 1000mg of Niacin, and have taken bigger in past prescriptions.

Have found the some go down easier than others depending on their coating. Some start to dissolve right away on your tongue, thus can stick to your tongue, and in your throat.

I make sure my mouth has a lot of liquid in it, and then toss in my handful of pills, and swallow. Once in awhile I have 1 stick and I drink big gulps until it goes down. Doubt I could ever physically choke to death because the ones most likely to stick, are the ones that dissolve, and eventually will be gone. Never had even close to that issue.

I have a prescription I cut in half, but only because it's size, is not available in a .5mg dosage.

I have heard the old "if they can swallow big bites of meat, they can swallow much smaller pills". Can it be psychological?  Who am I to say?  Will say this, when I was younger, I had trouble swallowing any pill. But as age crept up and I had to take certain meds, I got decidedly better. As the number of pills increased, I found I was able to swallow them, in one big gulp.   

That's my story and "I'm stickin with it"!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs    That's me -  my two biggest problem pills are liquid or gel within their big hard shells.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs,

More and more I am too,especially with capsules, rather than pills.

My mother discovered that she could take them very easily in applesauce. I tried that but no.

One trick I heard that most of the time works for me is one you would think would have the opposite result. You know how most tell you to take a large gulp of water and we put our head back?

Well, this advice was to not tilt your head back but keep it straight, also with a gulp of water. I don't know why that works but it usually does for me.

The other solution is to not take any!😄

This has nothing about being an adult.

You would think the dumb manufacturers would come up with smaller pills right?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Its embarrassing but I still cannot take large pills!  I get so upset when the Dr prescribes some knowing that I cannot take them. I wonder how many times I have to tell them this LOL.  I wish that I could take them but have tried and I just cannot. Cutting them in half doesnt help either since they are still somewhat big!

Does anyone else have this problem??Woman Frustrated

@CherryHugs 

Have you ever tried taking a pill with a STRAW in the liquid you are drinking?  A straw directs the beverage and washes the pill right down.  

I can't remember when, but years ago my father said the best way to take larger pills is with some beverage other than water ... milk, orange juice, you get the idea, but NOT carbonated.

He said have a gulp or two of the liquid, then take the pill and it slides right down.   

Works for me.  I never take pills with water.  Almost always use a straw these days, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I am right there with you @CherryHugs .  I have never been able to swallow pills very well.  Though I can do simple ones like an Advil or something  with a big glass of water but larger ones, forget it.

No need to be embarrassed at all, when I had my first endosocpy 10 years ago my doctor told me later that I have a very small esophagus, who knew????   That has a lot to do with it!   I don't feel bad about it now Smiley Happy 

@LindaSal 

Have had at least 20+ Endoscopies by several different doctors in the group of GI doctors. None of them have ever said anything about "the size" of my Esophagus, but? I mentioned swallowing and when I had my 1st Endo, he said "I dilated your Esophagus", that should make it easier to swallow. Prior to each of my subsequent Endo's, I said "don't forget to dilate now".

Now my Colon? Finally told mine is 2' longer than most. Also because of the length and my bleeding not being able to be found after 10 Colonoscopies! The bleeding was in the furthest point from the entry point of the Scope . Thus they did not get to the very end of my Colon.

So 5 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies later, maybe it won't bleed again!  🙏

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs 

Have you tried taking them with Applesauce. I  have always had problems with pills, although I am much better with them, then I use to be.  I need to take large pills with Applesauce, and it just slides on down my throat. Also, do not tip your head back to swallow the pills. You do not tip your head back to swallow when you eat so don't do it to swallow pills. 

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@CherryHugs,

More and more I am too,especially with capsules, rather than pills.

My mother discovered that she could take them very easily in applesauce. I tried that but no.

One trick I heard that most of the time works for me is one you would think would have the opposite result. You know how most tell you to take a large gulp of water and we put our head back?

Well, this advice was to not tilt your head back but keep it straight, also with a gulp of water. I don't know why that works but it usually does for me.

The other solution is to not take any!😄

This has nothing about being an adult.

You would think the dumb manufacturers would come up with smaller pills right?!

@on the bay 

I responded before reading the thread and your response. We gave the same suggestions. :-)