Honored Contributor

I progressed from Prevacid, bad for my stomach lining to Zantac which has now been recalled, I am now looking for another Acid Reducer for my Gerd. I eat well but still have Gerd so I need the pills.

I am open to suggestions, many thanks

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Drink more water. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox  I followed the exact same path as you and am now doing well on generic Pepcid.  I can't tell any difference than when I was taking Zantac

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi, @I am still oxox --

I'm sure you will get many of the "ask your doctor" answers, but I have found that listening to my own body is sufficient 95% of the time.

I take as needed--famotidine 20 mg, famotidine 10 mg, sometimes cimetidine 200 mg. I do use generics, and as previously noted, I let my body dictate my need.

My primary care internist lets me know I am on the right track.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

I take prescription strength Zantac and it has not been recalled.

I saw my GI and asked about the recall and he said that it seems to only affect the over the counter versions made by a certain manufacturers.

Check with your Dr. about the prescription version.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@deb5555 

Hmm I do not get the connection please enlighten me 

@deb5555 wrote:

Drink more water. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I am in the same situation with my Zantac prescription. Tagament is my next hope for me. Mylanta worked well until my condition progessed. The one thing about Mylanta is that it is not meant to be taken regularly long term. I don't know if that applies in your case or not. 

I do eat yougurt and drink mint teas or peppermint cocoa and get some relief during the day. Crackers of any kind are my staple.

Hope one of these help you.

Respected Contributor

I would ask the doctor because they don't all work the same way and the doctor may be able to best match you with one that's similar to Zantac.

I use Omeprazole, which my doctor recommended, and have found it works better for me than Ranitidine.

Valued Contributor

I am doing well on Pepcid. I need an acid reducer with some of my meds and took Zantac as well.  Some days I need the 20mg, other days the 10mg.

Honored Contributor

When I started having issues with acid reflux in the middle of the night while sleeping I started taking Andrew Lessman's Ultimate Friendly Flora plus his Digestive Enzymes. I have not had any more issues. I don't like to eat after 6 but won't eat after 7.