Honored Contributor

Re: APRIL is Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month

@Souperkrys 

@hckynut  is correct.  Either get a new doctor, or see someone else in the practice who WILL refer you.  This is of utmost importance.  You DO need an endoscopy, to see what damage this constant acid erosion has done to your esophagus.  If you have sore throats and pain, something is happening.

Nexium is not really supposed to be taken for more than a few weeks.  I liken it to when the smoke detector chirps, and despite changing the battery it still chirps.  Nexium takes away the chirping, your body's warning that something is going on- it is sensing "smoke" before the fire.  

You may also want to see a registered dietitian to see what foods might be contributing to this condition.  Sometimes it is a problem of anatomy (constriction) that causes the acid to back up, and other times it can be due to diet, medication, work exposure or lifestyle choices.  An ENT can also scope to check the vocal cords (mine did after repeated laryngitis), but it sounds like if you had silent reflux there is something happening already.  

Frequent Contributor

Re: APRIL is Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month

@lolakimono wrote:

@Souperkrys 

@hckynut  is correct.  Either get a new doctor, or see someone else in the practice who WILL refer you.  This is of utmost importance.  You DO need an endoscopy, to see what damage this constant acid erosion has done to your esophagus.  If you have sore throats and pain, something is happening.

Nexium is not really supposed to be taken for more than a few weeks.  I liken it to when the smoke detector chirps, and despite changing the battery it still chirps.  Nexium takes away the chirping, your body's warning that something is going on- it is sensing "smoke" before the fire.  

You may also want to see a registered dietitian to see what foods might be contributing to this condition.  Sometimes it is a problem of anatomy (constriction) that causes the acid to back up, and other times it can be due to diet, medication, work exposure or lifestyle choices.  An ENT can also scope to check the vocal cords (mine did after repeated laryngitis), but it sounds like if you had silent reflux there is something happening already.  

EXCELLENT advice @lolakimono  and @hckynut.