Respected Contributor

What's it for anyhow? I had an emergency appendectomy and am doing well w/o it. That's why I am asking.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush 

From WebMD:

The function of the appendix is unknown. One theory is that the appendix acts as a storehouse for good bacteria, “rebooting” the digestive system after diarrheal illnesses. Other experts believe the appendix is just a useless remnant from our evolutionary past. Surgical removal of the appendix causes no observable health problems.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I don't know what's it's purpose is.

My BIL had to have emergency appendectomy. He went to see his doctor on a Fri with this issue. He was told since it was the weekend he would have to go to the ER in oder to get the surgery.

Hope you are feeling better.

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush

I hope you are doing well.  Be thankful you didn't have it removed way back when.  Mine was removed in 1975 and I was in the hospital for 6 days.  Once I was home, I couldn't go out until I saw the doctor in another week.

My husband had his removed a few years ago and he was in and out in a bit over 24 hours.

Respected Contributor

I had an emergency appendectomy about 40 years ago. The surgeon then told me that the appendix had no known function. The other night, I was watching a tv program, and they said the appendix is part of the immune system in the gut. It's function is to protect and store the good bacteria. They just keep on learning!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

Had mine removed back in 1989 in Koblenz Germany. I was in the hospital about 5 days. 

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush 

You can google the medical info you want to know. I had mine removed as an "emergency" when I was 16 years old, almost 64 years ago. Much more complex back in the 1950's, not much "out-patient" around, if any, "back in the day".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I'm doing fine without one!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Appendix is like wisdom teeth...when they get removed life goes on just like nothing ever happened.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Smiley LOL Good way of putting it.