Valued Contributor

My S.I.L. has been diagnosed w/ IBS...wondering if anyone cares to share if you have this, what triggers a flare up?  What works best to keep symptoms at bay?  Do you try a combination of diet, excerise, stress reduction, and medication to help you the most? Thanks for any information and suggestions you may have!

Honored Contributor

Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

@barb40 wrote:

My S.I.L. has been diagnosed w/ IBS...wondering if anyone cares to share if you have this, what triggers a flare up?  What works best to keep symptoms at bay?  Do you try a combination of diet, excerise, stress reduction, and medication to help you the most? Thanks for any information and suggestions you may have!

@barb40   If her symptoms are the runs, fiber is suggested.  Andrew Lessman sells Fibermucil capsules.  I use the capsules because I feel I wouldn't get enough fiber otherwise, though I try to eat high fiber food in addition.

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of online information your sis-in-law can tap into. It's an individual thing. You learn to monitor your diet closely and be prepared for anything. Always watching for more serious syptoms.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I have my share or diarrhea.  Knowing that I don't get enough fiber, I drink at least one or two glasses of Metamucil a day.  It helps me a great deal.

Honored Contributor

I was diagnosed with Crohn's almost 30 years ago, the symptoms are similar.

I basically just try to treat the symptoms with OTC items, you will have to find what works.

It hurts to digest fiber, unless you know for sure you need it, you don't have to do anything out of the ordinary to increase fiber.   Eating food that is easy to digest may be the priority.

I guess this is a son (sister?) in law, if he finds it's causing him to change his lifestyle, he may need more than OTC & diet.     Antibiotics always help with the inflammation but it has to be well managed & not over-used.

In my case, I've had several surgeries for fistulas & blockages.   I don't think that becomes an issue with IBS because of the location of the disease. 

You have to learn for yourself what works & what doesn't & don't hesitate to TALK to your doctor about what you are experiencing.   I had a doctor once who would only look at lab tests and pronounce I was fine.    No I wasn't!    Look at me & listen.

Honored Contributor

IBS can manifest as diarrhea or constipation, IBS-D or IBS-C, and there are varying degrees.

DD and I both have had IBS-C for many years and have learned how to manage it,  DD does use medication, in addition to diet, etc., but I don't require medication.

Lots of research out there for SIL, depending on her type and symptoms.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

I was diagnosed with Crohn's almost 30 years ago, the symptoms are similar.

I basically just try to treat the symptoms with OTC items, you will have to find what works.

It hurts to digest fiber, unless you know for sure you need it, you don't have to do anything out of the ordinary to increase fiber.   Eating food that is easy to digest may be the priority.

I guess this is a son (sister?) in law, if he finds it's causing him to change his lifestyle, he may need more than OTC & diet.     Antibiotics always help with the inflammation but it has to be well managed & not over-used.

In my case, I've had several surgeries for fistulas & blockages.   I don't think that becomes an issue with IBS because of the location of the disease. 

You have to learn for yourself what works & what doesn't & don't hesitate to TALK to your doctor about what you are experiencing.   I had a doctor once who would only look at lab tests and pronounce I was fine.    No I wasn't!    Look at me & listen.

@software 

DH also has Crohn's, diagnosed many years ago at college age.

He has Remicade infusions every 8 weeks and has also dealt with fistulas and a blockage.

I undertand what you go through and wish you the best!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

To help another IBS .....here's my findings for me.  It was severe late 80's - early 90's; but through trial & error...........avoid or limit dairy products (cheese on pizza ok  regular milk - no)....avoid Roman lettuce - Boston lettuce is great.  Beans as in bean soup - avoid too much fiber.....spicy food avoid.....

A friend can't eat nuts - but I can by the handfuls.  So everyone is different.  Pasta and rice and potatoes - great for me.  Bland diet   Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Probiotics have helped me a lot.

Super Contributor

Barb40:   Your SIL should Google IBS - there is a lot of stuff on there that will help.  Also, look for the FODMAP diet which is specially for IBS sufferers and lists all the foods you should, and should not, eat.