Super Contributor

Went to the doctor two weeks ago for some sudden joint pain (hands and feet). Could have been related to the heat we have been having but can't say.  Celebrex was to be taken for two weeks and then call doctor with results.  The meds did help but feeling not myself and some diarrhea...Don't want to take this med long term and want to know if anyone has any info regarding Celebrex...Would like to take something else or nothing at all...Miss my wine at dinner and can't drink with this... Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

@hondagirlI have no suggestions.  I took Celebrex years ago.  Had a script because of some intense foot pain -  and the Celebrex relieved that and every other pain I'd ever felt!  That was the good news.

The bad news was that this all went on just before Celebrex was removed from the market for a while and I couldn't get another script.  I haven't done any reading about it since that time, and I actually forget why it was removed from the market.  I'm thinking heart complications, but I shouldn't say. I should just read.

Hope you find something that relieves pain as well as the Celebrex did for me.  Please let us know if you do.

I took Celebrex for a while.  It was very effective. However, it has some dangerous side effects.  It can have a serious effect on the heart.  I love the way I felt when I took it but staying alive was much more important!

Valued Contributor

Clebrex was a "b;lack box" med as it was called because it was taken off the market for causing Heart attacks , Anyone with an arrythmia ,fast heart rate,or Atrial fib should not take this as it can cause fatal heart attacks, It does work well as a pain reliever and I have been on it [and shouldn't have been ] because I have an arrythmia , I told the doctor that I ws going to stop taking it and he had to give me something else , This was before they took it off the market  and It was not really nown about its detrimental effects on the heart because it does speed up your heart rate , be careful with this med , Beware , I am wondering why it still on the market,

cathy from ma

Super Contributor

Can I ask: when was Celebrex taken off the market? I have been taking Celebrex since 2003, and it has been continuously available since then. Are you sure you do not mean a similar medication called Vioxx ?  I was originally placed on Vioxx but after a couple of months complained to my doc about not feeling "right" on it. He switched me to Celebrex. It was a few months later that Vioxx was taken off the market.

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Respected Contributor

Not sure why this med was ever put back on the market with all side effects.  I couldn't take something like that - just me though.  I know some people are in such pain they are willing to do anything to relieve it.  I'd rather be healthy and in pain.  I'm sure there is something better for you your dr could prescribe. 

Super Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Not sure why this med was ever put back on the market with all side effects.  I couldn't take something like that - just me though.  I know some people are in such pain they are willing to do anything to relieve it.  I'd rather be healthy and in pain.  I'm sure there is something better for you your dr could prescribe. 

According to WebMD, both Vioxx (in 2004) and Bextra (in 2005) were pulled off the market. Celebrex, however, was allowed to remain on the market with the black box warning. At the same time, all NSAIDS were were made to carry varying degrees of warnings concerning their dangers, including Ibuprofen, though OTC meds were not black box warnings. These meds were not perceived as being taken in high doses for extended periods of time.

I have an excellent pain management physician. After weaning me from several high dose narcotics which had been prescribed by a previous physician, and placing me on medicinal marijuana ( a wonderful life changing lozenge that dissolves under my tongue!) she decided it was time to wean me off the Celebrex. I was on high dose - 200mg 2xday - for 14 years.  Surprisingly, that was infinitely more difficult to wean from than any of the narcotic pain meds. She ultimately, with the approval of my primary care physician, had to put me back on one Celebrex per day. We are going to try a supplement that may be able to help replace the Celebrex, but it takes 30 - 60 days to build up levels in your system. I feel blessed and lucky that I have no bad side effects from the Celebrex considering my somewhat extensive history with it.

Respected Contributor

I took Celebrex when Bextra was taken off the market.  The Bextra worked very well. The celebrex was okay and when my prescription ran out--I just switched to ibuprofen when my arthritis flared.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANyone use Celebrex

[ Edited ]

@hondagirl

I took Celebrex for a few years mainly for my osteoarthritis in 3 fingers on both hands. I had no side effects whatsoever. My friend, who is also 1 of my 2 Orthopedic Doctors, prescribed it for me. I had to have blood drawn tests, for either kidney and/or liver function, done every 3 months while taking it.

Since I had 2 heart attacks and then read about a similar med called Vioxx, was taken off the market because of causing heart valve problems, I thought I should quit taking Celebrex.

Spoke with my doctor friend and he agreed as long as I could get along and deal with my finger issues in another way. I did what we felt was the right thing for me, and I stopped taking Celebrex. 

Because of my later Colon bleeding issues I no longer take any type of Anti-inflammatory or NSAID meds. My only safe go to med for years now has been Acetaminophen/Tylenol. It does little for my arthritic riddled body, but for me I choose pain over Colon bleeding and any unnecessary risks to my twice damaged heart.

My suggestion would be to read as much as you can about Celebrex/talk with your doctor, and make the decision that is best for you personally.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@hondagirl

I took Celebrex for a few years mainly for my osteoarthritis in 3 fingers on both hands. I had no side effects whatsoever. My friend, who is also 1 of my 2 Orthopedic Doctors, prescribed it for me. I had to have blood drawn tests, for either kidney and/or liver function, done every 3 months while taking it.

Since I had 2 heart attacks and then read about a similar med called Vioxx, was taken off the market because of causing heart valve problems, I thought I should quit taking Celebrex.

Spoke with my doctor friend and he agreed as long as I could get along and deal with my finger issues in another way. I did what we felt was the right thing for me, and I stopped taking Celebrex. 

Because of my later Colon bleeding issues I no longer take any type of Anti-inflammatory or NSAID meds. My only safe go to med for years now has been Acetaminophen/Tylenol. It does little for my arthritic riddled body, but for me I choose pain over Colon bleeding and any unnecessary risks to my twice damaged heart.

My suggestion would be to read as much as you can about Celebrex/talk with your doctor, and make the decision that is best for you personally.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Again, a very thoughtful and personal post. Understand, my response is in no way to challenge you, or is it directed at you. I respect your choice tolerate pain rather than further jeopardize your health. I have been a chronic pain patient for close to twenty years. At no time has my goal, my expectation or my result been a pain free life, but merely a level of discomfort that I could live with. I've learned much about the patient's role in this, namely positioning yourself in the least painful way, moving to prevent stiffness, use of heat and ice, and use of the many, many distraction techniques available (like thus forum ! ) available these days. Most importantly is your own attitude about the situation you are in and the acceptance of it, and how you choose to handle it.

That being said, when the pain level prevents you from living your normal (whatever your own "normal" may be) life, or rises to an unbearable level, treatment is sought. I fought like H*££ to tolerate staying off the Celebrex. I would have done just about anything not to return to the med, but I could not tolerate what was happening to me. I cannot tolerate Ibuprofen, Tylenol was not helping, and my docs felt that one Celebrex per day was, at this time, the best option for me.

Good to see you posting here.

Hugs . . .