Valued Contributor

Re: ANYONE HERE TAKE THE DIABETIC MEDICINE FOR WEIGHT REDUCTION AND NOT HAVE DIABETES?

The O medication was prescribed by my endocrinologist, as my A1c and fasting blood glucose numbers were high. They are now within normal range and I have lost 30 lbs over the course of a year. In no way was this a rapid weigh loss.

My doc did say to take a stool softener daily, as constipation is a know side effect.

Valued Contributor

Re: ANYONE HERE TAKE THE DIABETIC MEDICINE FOR WEIGHT REDUCTION AND NOT HAVE DIABETES?

You're thinking about the term diabetic gastroparesis---that is not paralysis of the stomach. The esophagus and stomach still empty themselves, but slower than normal. The stomach paralysis as the possible drug side effect actually paralyzes the stomach itself and the food doesn't leave to flow into the intestines---this is a grave danger if the person is undergoing surgery, esprcially with general anesthesia. Surgeons are finding that the material in the stomach might aspirate into the lungs and cause pneumonia or a blockage--which is very serious and can cause death. This is why patients are advised not to eat 12 hours before surgery normally--it has been discovered that patients who take this drug and stop eating even two days earlier still have food in their stomachs!

I have heard that people have been looking to sue about this side effect--that their stomachs are not returning to normal emptying after taking this drug.

Is this why people complain of nausea while on this drug? I don't know.

Please extensively research any new drug before taking it--that's what I do. Not every new drug is for everyone.