Respected Contributor

Had my first pneumonia shot last week and not sure if the shot along with being exposed to my 3 yr old grandsons cold from welcome to preschool pass the virus from one kid to another  got together and attacked me.  Chest congestion and coughing for the past few days, haven't had a cold in years !  I had a flu shot in October and no post symptoms so I called my doctor, he didn't order any antibiotics but called in a script for cough medicine. When I stopped by the pharmacy to pick up the cough medicine I was told it's not covered by my insurance so it would be $55 !!  COUGH MEDICINE ????  I decided to just take over the counter cough syrup. Called my doctor, canceled the request. I cannot believe cough syrup could cost that much ! Now I understand why groups like AARP are fighting against increased drug costs for Seniors.

Esteemed Contributor

Try Musinex......My hubby caught it from our Granddaughter too. He kept me up all night coughing. He took the Musinex and slept through the night the following day.

He was using Robetussin and it didn't do any good.

Esteemed Contributor

If you think that's shocky you should see the tiny little bottle of ear drops (ciprodex) that cost me $218 at CVS recently because my insurance doesn't cover them. 7.5 ml to be exact. But I seriously needed them so forked it over.

Honored Contributor

$55 is not a lot of money for the diagnosis.

If you take Mucinex for a few days with no improvement, I would re-think the prescription.

Respected Contributor

Boiron Chestal Honey homeopathic cough syrup has helped me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 55 DOLLAR COUGH SYRUP !

[ Edited ]

Presumably you are on Medicare?  Check your Part D next year.  In the meantime ask for a generic syrup.  Most just have codeine and are cheap.  Those pearls are nice too.

Honored Contributor

I don't blame you for ditching the prescription and getting over-the-counter instead.  I would have done the same.  After all, it's worth a try.

Regular Contributor

When I need a medicine not covered by my medicare advantage plan I go to the site "GoodRX" for a coupon. My nurse practioner showed me this site and it has saved me money on needed drugs.

Honored Contributor

I rarely get sick but every once in awhile I get some type of bronchitis which gives me an uncontrollable cough. 

I told my doctor only codein works. 

Well my insurance company wouldn’t pay for it. Cost me $80.00. But it worked. I never found an over the counter that worked for me. 

Honored Contributor

You can buy cough syrup with codeine over the counter in Canada.  You have to get it from the pharmacest like you do here with Sudafed.  Best purchase I made when I caught a bad cold on vacation in Canada.