Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2018 Commit To Be Fit Challenge

@icezeus wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

I almost didn't log in here today, because I needed to do some more Mayo Clinic Diet reading and journal entry, plus additional research for recumbant bikes with my husband.   And, make a multi-day lunch.

Well, I logged on and now don't know that I'll be back.

Just read the entries in the last 18 or so hours and you'll come to know what I'm talking about.  All of a sudden a person has created discord, which was carried through to additional posts.

That's not what I came here for.  If this continues, I'm gone.

@sfnative

Ignore it and do you. Remember why you decided to join this thread. Look at the overwhelming support and don't focus on the detours that might come our way. Continue to research and post/share your findings and support that you have to offer with the group.

@icezeus

I understand what you're saying and know very well the "commitment" I made to this group.  However, there is no administrator here as there is in facebook groups.  The presence which inserted itself is a very long-standing negative one on the boards and I'm prett much done with that presence.  If it goes away, fine, as it doesn't belong here.  I'm serious about this subject and SeaMaiden's efforts to really get this up and going.  However, due to the long-standing negative nature of this other presence, I would honestly choose to depart than stay around for daily manipulations.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

I almost didn't log in here today, because I needed to do some more Mayo Clinic Diet reading and journal entry, plus additional research for recumbant bikes with my husband.   And, make a multi-day lunch.

Just read the entries in the last 18 or so hours and you'll come to know what I'm talking about.  All of a sudden a person has created discord, which was carried through to additional posts.

@sfnative

Ignore it and do you. Remember why you decided to join this thread. Look at the overwhelming support and don't focus on the detours that might come our way. Continue to research and post/share your findings and support that you have to offer with the group.

@icezeus  @sfnative  If it was I who caused the discord I  am Truly sorry.

Was it my asking about the plant based diet? I guess I had questions and should have went to the plant based thread.   It is good that you say something so we stay on track.   I hope you stay and help keep this thread from taking detours as you said. We need your involvement to do this.  Have a great night!

@icezeus @SeaMaiden

icezeus - Please know it was not you.  And, also know that I have absolutely no bias as concerns plant based food plans.  None at all.  Just the other extremely negative presence for years and years on the boards and myself having taken too much stuff from that quarter.  Just uncalled for anywhere.  I was just shocked to see the presence here stirring things up, where what we need in "Commit to Be Fit" is positivity and good vibes. 

Honored Contributor

I hope that we can continue to discuss all ideas without anyone getting upset.I agree that not everything works for everyone and that some are passionate about what has helped them but we are all different and that is why I am excited to know what has worked for others.I think we can all learn a little something from each other and pick and choose what we will implement.

Nobody has the magic bullet for weight loss yet but we can pool our knowledge to make best  use of all current technology.I was hoping that we could work together to lift each other up while we journey toward our fitness and health goals.

Honored Contributor

I’m all in for dropping some weight...again.

I’m still working out exactly how I want to go about it.  Going totally plant-based is not an option for me for several reasons but I do try to eat a PB breakfast and lunch.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@sfnative

@icezeus  @sfnative  If it was I who caused the discord I  am Truly sorry.

Was it my asking about the plant based diet? I guess I had questions and should have went to the plant based thread.   It is good that you say something so we stay on track.   I hope you stay and help keep this thread from taking detours as you said. We need your involvement to do this.  Have a great night!

@SeaMaiden

I am not offended. I do not hae a problem with this thread.  I was just being sympathetic and trying to offer support to @sfnative

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Please don't leave.  I would miss you and enjoy reading your posts.  I'm truly sorry you were hurt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Adding to what several had said here, my primary exercise now is done on 1 of my 2 recumbent bikes. Have a ProForm that is close to 17 years old, and felt it needed some maintenance, so called my long time exercise equipment store to come check it out.

Even though it was still working well and I enjoyed working out on it, it was still an old machine. When the tech came out, fella that I know, he told me that if something were to happen to it that parts are no longer available. He told me that all was working as good as possible, but, that could at some point change.

He told me that the equipment store had a never used, but had been purchased recumbent for a great price. They could not sell it as new because it had been purchased and registered with the manufacturer as been sold. So, if I wanted to go with the updated recumbent, my service call charge would be waved.

So I now have 2 recumbent bikes, along with my rather large number of exercise machines, which also includes 2  name brand motorized treadmills. They sell this top-of-the-line True Recumbent Model for $3,099. I bought this for $700 and it was a steal for me.

Anyways, now that I've told my story of the day, on this forum anyways, on to the relevant part of my post. Since my determination to once again regain some of my former ice skating skills, I have found the recumbent bikes, to be the best to use for all the skating muscles and connective tissues. Still use my old recumbent for strength for supporting muscles that surround my knees.

This model syncs up with my Polar HR Monitor, thus I do not need to wear the wrist watch/receiver. As mentioned many times on this forum, all my workouts for Cardio, are done based solely on my Heart Rate Level. This True Model has an option where once you reach the heart rate you want to maintain(for any number of minutes), it adjusts the resistance level to maintain that specific level. It's called "cruise control", and you can reset it at any time just as you can with you car CC. 

Still do some treadmill and NuStep for Cardio, but the recumbent bikes are now my "go to" machines for both my skating legs and Cardio. Those of you that picked a recumbent, just wanted to let you know it was a major part in my regaining my "more normal" high level of fitness. The recumbent however was never counted on by me for weight loss, that was/is more what I eat, and how much of it. For me the best has always been "fuel burned", not "calorie intake", for my weight control and/or losses.

Will leave this with "keep on keeping on", setbacks happen to us all, but never let them make you feel like you failed! Have a good time now, ya'll hear?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Vickie checking in.  Yesterday and today I felt I really took to heart "Commit to be Fit".  Tuesday I was suppose to walk up/down some killer stairs by me. Since I've increased my water intake, I can't be away from a restroom for too long.  Unfortunately the place I had planned to walk my stairs has no facilities. So I decided to walked up/down my apartment stairs instead.  I live on the 4th floor and it is 80 steps.  Less than the other stairs but I had to compromise and I did.

Today I went to Pei Wei after the gym.  I special ordered brown rice with double steamed veggies for dinner.  Was yummy.

So far so good.  It great to seem so many committed people on this thread.

Valued Contributor

Hi everyone I'm checking in and reading up on everyone. I have made some positive changes in my life. I  have started to drink more water each day. I have started to eat oatmeal for breakfast and have added a salad to my dinner each night and cut back on carbohydrates. I also began walking again. I am happy to be taking better care of myself and to be sharing these lifestyle changes with everyone!   Em

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Adding to what several had said here, my primary exercise now is done on 1 of my 2 recumbent bikes. Have a ProForm that is close to 17 years old, and felt it needed some maintenance, so called my long time exercise equipment store to come check it out.

Even though it was still working well and I enjoyed working out on it, it was still an old machine. When the tech came out, fella that I know, he told me that if something were to happen to it that parts are no longer available. He told me that all was working as good as possible, but, that could at some point change.

He told me that had a never used, but a recumbent that was purchased, but never used, for a great price. They could not sell it as new because it had been purchased and registered with the manufacturer as, sold. So, if I wanted to go with the updated recumbent, my service call charge would be waved.

So I now have 2 recumbent bikes, along with my rather large number of exercise machines, which also includes 2 treadmills, with motors. They sell this top-of-the-line True Recumbent Model for $3,099. I bought this for $700 and it was a steal for me.

Anyways, now that I've told my story of the day, on this forum anyways, on to the relevant part of my post. Since my determination to once again regain some of my former ice skating skills, I have found the recumbent bikes, to be the best to use for all the skating muscles and connective tissues. Still use my old recumbent for strength for supporting muscles that surround my knees.

This model syncs up with my Polar HR Monitor, thus I do not need to wear the wrist watch/receiver. As mentioned many times on this forum, all my workouts for Cardio, are done based solely on my Heart Rate Level. This True Model has an option where once you reach the heart rate you want to maintain(for any number of minutes), it adjusts the resistance level to maintain that specific level. It's called "cruise control", and you can reset it at any time just as you can with you car CC. 

Still do some treadmill and NuStep for Cardio, but the recumbent bikes are now my "go to" machines for both my skating legs and Cardio. Those of you that picked a recumbent, just wanted to let you know it was a major part in my regaining my "more normal" high level of fitness. The recumbent however was never counted on by me for weight loss, that was/is more what I eat, and how much of it. For me the best has always been "fuel burned", not "calorie intake", for my weight control and/or losses.

Will leave this with "keep on keeping on", setbacks happen to us all, but never let them make you feel like you failed! Have a good time now, ya'll hear?

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

Hi John,

Appreciate the history you provided on your purchase and use of two recumbant bikes.  We're going to purchase mine tomorrow, having looked at a number that are within our budget.  Can't go as high at $700, but did a lot of looking and reading and in the end, the one that received the best overall rating at the $499.99 pricepoint with a high sturdy rating, nicely padded seat, wider foot pedal (I've wide feet and have always fought getting my shoes into the pedals), nifty electronics (which interface with the Polar as well), etc., etc.  And we're purchasing from ******'s Sports which is having a New Year sale and found one store which has 4 remaining at $399.99 each (no tax where we live), so are purchasing a Schwinn Series 270.  The only thing it doesn't have that I really wanted is the upper extremity bars, which coordinate with pedaling, so will wrap various Theraband around the stationary upright arm rests at the front of the bike and work my arms on the Theraband.  The UE addition would have elevated the price by several hundred dollars and just couldn't swing that.

With my bum forever-after post-surgical left knee, I must have a bike, as walking on hard surfaces and swimming are both quite painful, plus I lost ankle mobility and muscle mass in my foot due to damaged nerves, in addition to the ITB insertion injury.  I will be one happy camper on this bike, as I'm doing a scant 15 minutes on a bike at PT now.  They think they're making my knee bett, but to tell you the truth, it's getting worse and the swelling continues to increase.  I have 2 more visits, after which I will cease going.

Do take care, my friend, and Happy New Year to you and Cindy.

Rebecca