Honored Contributor

Re: 2018 Commit To Be Fit Challenge

Beauty of life take or leave suggestions. Why allow anyone power? Life in my experience constantly changing. Believe in freedom of choice. Grateful to have my health family and friends, loving relationship. One never knows what the next moment holds. I cherish the present.❣🎁

Valued Contributor

Looking for opinions.  Should I get the TSV Fitbit? I don't have one. I track my steps through app on smartphone. Are they easy to use, worth it, etc. Do you find the readings accurate. Or will it be one of those things I throw in a drawer never to see the light again. Thanks everyone. 

Have a great day!! 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandPiper wrote:

Looking for opinions.  Should I get the TSV Fitbit? I don't have one. I track my steps through app on smartphone. Are they easy to use, worth it, etc. Do you find the readings accurate. Or will it be one of those things I throw in a drawer never to see the light again. Thanks everyone. 

Have a great day!! 

I have the FitBit Alta HR which I purchased when it first came out I really didn't expect to use it that much but decided to give it a try. I love it because of all the info it provides. I've had trackers but they were not of this quality or provide the wealth of information The graphical inforation helps you to see how things impact each other, as in quality of sleep compared to activity. I really like the graphical reporting of heart rate over the 24 hours in adidtion to the current heart rate. The other winner for me has been the sleep analysis.

The app is very good and the desktop at Fitbit.com displays the information also but in a slightly different format. There is also a discussion forum at FitBit.com. The FitBit syncs with several programs.

Are the readins accurate? The heart rate reading has been within one to two of the cardiologist's reading at my 6 month appointents. Accuracy is also influenced by correct positioning on wrist as well as how tight.

You might do what I did. Purchase it with t he idea of giving it a 30 day trail and then if no satisfied send it back for a refund. I will also say that Amazon has a great selection of bands for the FitBit.

Have a great day. This extreme cold should burn more calories but that is just wishful thinking.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I’m all in for dropping some weight...again.

I’m still working out exactly how I want to go about it.  Going totally plant-based is not an option for me for several reasons but I do try to eat a PB breakfast and lunch.  

@tansy

Hi, tansy!  Happy New Year!

Certainly adding more plants to your diet is a good thing Cat Happy

I hope this time you drop the weight you want to drop for good.

Valued Contributor

@KonaKat thanks for your advise. I was thinking it would be good to show doctor results. I also am interested in the sleep info as well.

Full disclosure, my DH bought me a beautiful watch that I still want to wear, so that is part of the reason I am on the fence in purchasing. As you can tell I over think things sometimes.
Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Valued Contributor

@tansy what PB breakfast do you eat. Lunch is ok for me but breakfast is difficult. Thanks for any suggestions.
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  Always enjoy your posts!🤗

I also have older equipment.  My treadmill is probably 15 years old...a proform also.  It still works fine, but in Costco I saw a new model for about $800 that was so NICE, it hooks up to WIFI and has a big screen for down loading apps.  I would love that!  My model IS SO HEAVY,  perhaps it will break down some day and I will treat myself to a new one!  They made the old ones so good they last FOREVER...should not complain!

I always  wanted a NUSTEP, BUT it is so expensive. Just can not see spending that much when I need to fix things around the house and pay taxes here soon...☹️

Maybe someday.... 

Honored Contributor

@sfnative People here online can only upset you if you allow them too...just ignore the stuff that you don’t like and carry on with what makes you happy.I am looking forward to hearing about your journey because you have some challenges to wok through.I was anticipating cheering you on and planning the happy dances for your successes.I used to be very easily hurt by others but then one day I realized that I allowed myself those feelings...no more.I choose to be me and if people don’t like it then it becomes a problem for them.I have no problems with people picking on me now so I guess the real issue was me.Just ruin their fun by not allowing them to ruin yours.I think that the people who find it necessary to be mean are actually very unhappy and you know that misery loves company....but not mine!

Honored Contributor

@SandPiper..I was thinking that a fruit salad could be great,oatmeal and almond milk,chia pudding with fruit,avocado on toast....maybe just a handful of mixed nuts or seeds.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Adding to what several had said here, my primary exercise now is done on 1 of my 2 recumbent bikes. Have a ProForm that is close to 17 years old, and felt it needed some maintenance, so called my long time exercise equipment store to come check it out.

Even though it was still working well and I enjoyed working out on it, it was still an old machine. When the tech came out, fella that I know, he told me that if something were to happen to it that parts are no longer available. He told me that all was working as good as possible, but, that could at some point change.

He told me that the equipment store had a never used, but had been purchased recumbent for a great price. They could not sell it as new because it had been purchased and registered with the manufacturer as been sold. So, if I wanted to go with the updated recumbent, my service call charge would be waved.

So I now have 2 recumbent bikes, along with my rather large number of exercise machines, which also includes 2  name brand motorized treadmills. They sell this top-of-the-line True Recumbent Model for $3,099. I bought this for $700 and it was a steal for me.

Anyways, now that I've told my story of the day, on this forum anyways, on to the relevant part of my post. Since my determination to once again regain some of my former ice skating skills, I have found the recumbent bikes, to be the best to use for all the skating muscles and connective tissues. Still use my old recumbent for strength for supporting muscles that surround my knees.

This model syncs up with my Polar HR Monitor, thus I do not need to wear the wrist watch/receiver. As mentioned many times on this forum, all my workouts for Cardio, are done based solely on my Heart Rate Level. This True Model has an option where once you reach the heart rate you want to maintain(for any number of minutes), it adjusts the resistance level to maintain that specific level. It's called "cruise control", and you can reset it at any time just as you can with you car CC. 

Still do some treadmill and NuStep for Cardio, but the recumbent bikes are now my "go to" machines for both my skating legs and Cardio. Those of you that picked a recumbent, just wanted to let you know it was a major part in my regaining my "more normal" high level of fitness. The recumbent however was never counted on by me for weight loss, that was/is more what I eat, and how much of it. For me the best has always been "fuel burned", not "calorie intake", for my weight control and/or losses.

Will leave this with "keep on keeping on", setbacks happen to us all, but never let them make you feel like you failed! Have a good time now, ya'll hear?

hckynut(john)

Oh my goodness @hckynut my ProForm is 15 years old and was $500.00.   My brother bought it for me since he was tired of me buying cheap bikes every couple of years.  They are excellent products.  I have ordered new parts over the years and it looks a bit ragged from daily use but what else takes a beating like that in my home?  Nothing.  I love bike riding and indulging from time to time with favorite foods with no guilt or gain.  Exercise and healthy eating is the only way but it will not work if you do not do.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."