WEN

Super Contributor

Have so many so hate to waste.  just wondering how long is the shelf life

Trusted Contributor

I was wondering the same thing about my many unopened CC’s.  I’m so stocked up!

Honored Contributor

I don't know about the oils, but Chaz has said that the cleansing conditioners are good for two UNOPENED, and then use the opened one within one year.

However, many, many people on this forum have talked about some bottles they haven't gotten around to until three or four years, and it still not only smelled good, but it worked well on their hair.

I've only been a WEN gal for a little over three years, and I still have a gallon from the first June back then. It is lavender and it smells and works fine. 

As to the oil, I would say two years also. Only because I have heard other vendors talk about their bottled or tubed products (Perricone is one of those vendors), and that they could keep them unopened for two years. This was in response to someone calling in and asking the shelf life because it was a TSV and the caller wanted to stock up on the good price.

Two years seems to be the magic number! ha!

But there is probably some information on the Internet about shelf life of certain type of products.

Respected Contributor

I think WorldTraveler pretty much nailed it!

Esteemed Contributor
I have a nice stash of the oils because I use a lot. I really stocked up the last time was included in the TSV for the first time. I date them and keep them in a drawer down in my basement bathroom. I agree with @worldtravler two years so a little longer. I have never had any problems with my oils unopened or opened . Sometimes if I don't finish a seasonal ill store it until the next year.
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to contradict you @World Traveler, but this has become a rallying point for people who enjoy attacking Chaz and WEN on these forums. Your incorrect reply may attract a few who are focused on the manufacturing date, and compare cosmetic apples to oranges.

The industry standard for this type of cosmetic, a cleansing conditioner which doesnt carry a PAO, is two years AFTER opening/breaking the seal, or exposing an unsealed product to common, unfiltered air.

In other words, the countdown clock starts when you open the product, NOT at the manufacturing plant.

Since Chaz/WEN is in compliance with industry requirements, and many WEN users mindfully store items in favorable conditions and are careful not to contaminate opened products, we (Wenners) have often reported no degradation to product consistancy, odor, or function, in CCs & ancillary products* opened 3 and 4 years.

*My reply excludes oils, which are more fragile than other ancillary products. I haven't researched much re: WEN treatment oils.

I just use common sense, haven't personally had any oils go rancid. I store unopened oils in the dark, between 50° - 70° F.

Also, I have several opened oils that are past two years since opening. None have gone bad yet but I'm aware the clock is ticking. I likewise keep them in a dry, dark, cool area.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: unopened oils

[ Edited ]

@ANewHue

" . . . in a drawer . . . "

Whether opened or unopened, make sure your oil bottles are standing upright, so the least amount of oil's surface area is in contact with the air in the bottle.

The enemies of oil are light, air, temperature outside it's "ideal" range, and time.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We Had a TSV some years back in 2015,  that had the oils in it.  My open bottles still are as good as the day I opened them.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge I am not sure what you are referring to as being an "incorrect reply," as I was quoting Chaz, and I was telling what other product users have found to be true for them in their own stash of products. 

I was also quoting what other vendors have said about their products, such as Dr. Perricone, which I did not say was true or untrue; it was just what they said.

I suggested that the original poster check the Internet; perhaps there would be something that would be more helpful and give more insight.

Up until your post, there was no mention of manufacturing dates.

But you are free to contradict what I quoted others as saying.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler, my entire post was prompted by this portion of yours:

"...cleansing conditioners are good for two UNOPENED, and then use the opened one within one year."

Like everyone else, Chaz does occasionally mispeak, and in this case he's contradicted himself. 

He's frequently given the "two years AFTER opening" both on air and in written replies to product reviewer's questions and from customer service.

Just this year I've been sent product that is already two years old, and I don't plan to open for another year or two.

If something's changed and

"...cleansing conditioners are good for two UNOPENED ..."

then they are sending out product that is already 'bad', and I apologise to you.