WEN

Contributor

I am trying Wen (again). I keep thinking I am missing something since it is so popular and beloved.  I do like the styling products, but have never caught on to the CC craze.

In the past I have had trouble figuring out how much CC to use. How do I know if I am using too little or too much? What are the symptoms?

Also, the CC is pretty expensive  and with all the pumps you need, don't you all go through a lot of product? I feel like I will go through this so much faster than regular shampoo and that makes it even more expensive (per wash). How do you all figure or rationalize this.   THanks!!

Respected Contributor

Try the matrix Cleansing conditioners. The Liter sizes are about $20 cheaper then wen and work just as good or better. They have a new Mango one that smells wonderful. I have fine to medium fine hair and I can use all the matrix formulas.  They are about $35 for 33 oz  but I usually get them around $18-$25 for they are always on sale.  They have Pomagraiate, Acei Berri, Avacado, Citrius,Mango  scents. Some have menthol some don't. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't rationalize it--so I don't use it.....there are plenty of really good drugstore brands now without having to use many multiple pumps....and my hair is just fine.  slowly but surely eliminating over-priced beauty products.....i'm 67-i am who i am at my age-i don't think there's any product that will bring me back to my youth!  jmo....

Respected Contributor

I determine how much to use by hair length, and tend towards the lowest number of pumps because my hair is fine and straight.  It also depends on what size of bottle you are pumping from.  I have a couple of 32 ounce bottles that came with a long, thin pump tube that sits up way higher from the top of the bottle than the "normal" pumps, and it only takes about half as many of those pumps as it takes from the "short" pumps.  For my hair length, it takes about 8 pumps for the first cleanse and the same for the second cleanse.  Most nights, since I cleanse daily, I only do one cleanse, so I don't really use that much.  The results on my hair are so good that I don't consider it "expensive".  If I had to stop buying WEN, I'd get a pixie cut and never style my hair again, I'd just wear a wig if I was going to a special occasion or event. 

Of course, only you can decide if WEN is worth it for your hair, but as long as you are using around a golf-ball sized amount of CC in your palm for shoulder-length hair (approximately) and adding a good splash of water to make it frothy and creamy, massaging your scalp well, and rinsing adequately, you will probably get the kind of results we all enjoy.  Double cleanse if you wash your hair every second or third day, and keep experimenting until you get the amount of CC just right to get the results you want.  Good luck, I hope you find a way to make it work perfectly for you!

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @Leothelion. WEN is my one & only indulgence.

Chaz uses ingredients that are superior to those used by his competitors. Yes, that makes it more expensive.

I use it on my hair and skin because the benefits are so great to me that IT'S WORTH IT.

My only regret is that I thought about it for so long before making my 1st WEN purchase. But when I did decide to order it I was committed to using it right, meaning not cheating on the suggested amount (and then complaining about it).

If WEN weren't available any longer I'd shave my head, 'cuz there's no way I'm going back to shampoo.

I don't know what I'd do without soothing, moisturizing WEN products on my skin. 

Great advise here: 

customerservice@chazdean.com 

http://chazdean.com/

http://chazdean.com/tips/#!I_tTrbezBn8

Respected Contributor

Just this month after using WEN for years and years (Maybe 10?)

I have given up! My hair always look like the before pictures, and I tried at least six different blends.  I finally settled on the fig because it seem to be the most moisturizing, but then I was adding extra WEN conditioning, WEN styling cream, etc. We are told that we can throw all that away and just use the cleansing conditioner, well that's not so.

I am so sorry I didn't do this sooner, I have gone to Shea Moisture and my hair looks totally different and wonderful.  I am really sorry I didn't drop wen a whole lot sooner.

Regular Contributor

Re: Wen Newbie!

[ Edited ]

I have used WEN for many years.  I have tried Tea Tree which was OK. Also tried Fig but that was my least favorite.  I have tried many of the seasonal cleansers too.   My husband also uses it and he likes Sweet Almond so that is what we have used for the past 2-3 years.

I use two pumps, cleanse daily and it works for me.  I get so many compliments on my hair:  it is shiny (even with gray hair), it is full, and it grows so fast!  I get a trim every 4 weeks.  My stylist can't believe how healthy my hair is.  My hair is fairly short at the moment, but I used WEN when my hair was down the middle of my back.  At that time, I cleansed twice a week and my hair looked great. 

Be sure after applying the cleanser, to add water to your hair and work it through all your hair.  Just make sure all your hair is covered with the wet cleanser.

I blow dry my hair daily so I also use WEN style cream - just a small amount on wet hair.  I like it because it has several heat protectors in it which helps from drying out my hair.

I hope you get the results you are seeking by using WEN.

Respected Contributor

If you're happy with your hair, you don't need Wen.  If shampoo and hair dye have made your hair like mine was, dull drab, lifeless, chewed to pieces, then you need Wen and watch the transformation.  Simple as that!

Contributor

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the thoughtful responses. :-)

Trusted Contributor

@Leothelion you can't use too much, but using too little will make you disappointed.  People who say it left their hair flat and greasy weren't using enough.  Adding a healthy splash of water is very important.  Once you have the CC on your hair, get the water mixed in to make it kinda frothy and massage your scalp as well as cleansing your hair.

Please watch some videos for tips on your leave in and any styling products.

Sure it costs more and you use more product, but it should leave you with hair so awesome that you don't care! Buying the TSV and ODO make it affordable for me.  My naturally curly hair has never been better!!  I'd probably get a pixie, like others have said, if I had to use anything else.

The salon phone number is on every bottle.  They helped me when I 1st started WEN almost 5 years ago.

Good luck and remember you have until the end of January to use it!