WEN

Contributor

Re: Well balanced story re: problems with WEN

Just wanted to say that "patented" only means they applied for & were granted the exclusive rights to use the formula for a period of time. They had to prove it was unique or novel in some way, & that will give them exclusive rights to the formulation for a period of time. It is probably why he keeps changing the formula...at some point, the patent protection will expire on the original & others will be able to reverse engineer & produce it without paying him for that right. New variations/improvements might give him new patents to extend the protection for other formulations in the line. But patented doesn't mean proof that it works or is safe.

Venezia is right - this is a case about causation. People will need to prove that something specific caused the harm to them. I haven't looked at the case, but the liability standard is relevant - I'm not sure if this is a negligence claim (meaning that if they can show causation, they also would have to show that Chaz Dean knew or should have known that the ingredient would cause harm). Strict liability holds the maker responsible for all harm, regardless of intent or level of care...but there are fewer valid ways to make a strict liability claim.

If it is shown that these were individualized reactions to something like fragrance or nuts, & if they used the same standard of care for using these ingredients (like disclosing, or using products common in a variety of products), then it would be really hard to establish negligence even if they can prove cause.

Example: I have an allergy to a tree nut. I buy & use a product marked as containing tree nuts, & have an allergic reaction. Hard to blame the maker. BUT, if the product is marked nut-free, & isn't & I have a reaction, then I probably have a claim.

Usually, cases like this are hard to establish negligence. Deceptive practices or false claims are easier to establish (like the product says "will reverse progress of greying hair" and it fails to do that and there is absolutely no support for that in any studies).

Ultimately...I'm sure people have had bad experiences with this product, like every product out there. It could be from failure to follow instructions, or allergies/sensitivities. It could be GR had some problems with production batches or formulation. They have a lot to narrow down - what formulations, time frame, was everyone affected the same way, does the complaint rise to the level of a real problem (eg, I lost 10-30 hairs when I showered each time v. I have huge bald patches & rashes), is it the formulation itself, or deceptive actions of a company in the production line (who failed to produce product as requested). people have bones to pick with everything - search the Internet, & you can find people praising soy, & also blaming it for health problems. Same with wheat & milk & rice & bamboo & honey. Everything has an impact, & it takes some common sense & instinct to determine what feels right for each person.

It is possible there is something more, but so far, no causation has been proven., and that alone won't be the whole story. The courts or mediation will sort this out. In the meantime, people should be aware of the concerns & act in their own best interests!

Honored Contributor

just a point- most fragranced products simply say "fragrance" or even "perfume" and do not list what those consist of. This is acceptable for FDA regulations. Look at all your fragranced skincare and haircare and body care- most will say this with no details In fact, I am looking at five products in front of me right now what say one of these two terms: Tweak-d products, my husband's styling cream (non-WEN), and a few body lotions.

Respected Contributor

You can't just have any product patented.  It has to pass rigorous testing and prove it's worthy for realease into the populace.  WEN AIN'T GOIN' NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Get over it.  I've used it for 7 years exclusively and it saved my hair.  Shampoo destroyed my hair and Chaz is right.  Watch the lades on TV.  The ones that have great hair and are not in commercials, those are the Wen girls and I've noticed them.  The ones with faded out dull frizzy, fuzzy dry and crackly crispy hair are the shampoo people.  Not only that but the 613 body treatment lotion.  GET A LOAD OF THE CLINICALS!!!!!!!!  I THINK IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!  I LIVE WHERE IT'S FREEZING.  I used to get dry scaly itchy skin but not now!  OH not now!!!!!  My skin is like velvet.  VELVET!!!!  WWOOOOO!!!!  Chaz and Wen are amazing and the countless boxes of empty promises!  It took help to get rid of them!  All I need is Wen.  I think people are mad at Guthy Renker and are being spiteful and taking it out on Chaz saying the product is bad.  These mis guided people need to keep focused on who they're having an issue with and lay back on the spite work.

Contributor

I'm just saying don't mistake having a patent as proof of efficacy/safety - it has nothing to do with indicating the quality of a product.  That is done through independent testing and not part of the patent process.  A patent simply means that it is a patentable item, that it is novel/different, and the creation/idea was not obvious.  It gives the creator rights to protect the idea.  A patent is not simple to get because it is so hard to prove that the idea is novel and non-obvious and that it is a subject matter that should be patented.  A patent proves that the inventor was incredibly creative and came up with something original.  A patent is valuable because it protects the right of the owner (in this case, Chaz) from having his ideas stolen and reproduced by others.

New Contributor

Please be very careful using Wen!  I'm sure you've heard there is a class-action lawsuit against Wen by hundreds of women who have experienced hair loss from this product.

I have always had thick beautiful hair my entire life - I used Wen for a year and ignored the women complaining of hair loss.  Then one day I googled "Wen and Hair Loss" and was astonished at what I read.  I took a good look at the crown and temple area of my hair and compared my hairline to older, pre-Wen pictures of me, and realized I did have some thinning there.  I pulled up the drain in the shower and was again astonished at the amount of hair and gunky product jammed in the drain.  I have chosen personally not to use Wen anymore - I just don't want to take the risk!

Of course, make your own decision, but I for one, am now in the market for products for thinning hair and hair loss - SAD.