WEN

Super Contributor

Using the oils in a diffuser?

Has anyone ever used the oils in a diffuser?

I am home sick with a cold, BOO! But on the bright side it gives me an excuse to stay in bed and watch all the wen shows Smiley Happy

I'm so very congested that I am wondering about inhaling the Teatree oil. Maybe in a diffuser? On one-hand it kind of seems like a waste for such a precious commodity. But I know the smell really opens up my sinuses. Maybe I'll just do an oil treatment on my hair all day. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Using the oils in a diffuser?

@Brdwygurl I'm sorry to hear that you're under the weather on such a lovely day. 

I don't use diffuser so I don't have much to say on this, but it sounds like a good idea. 

Tea Tree oil is antibacterial and antifungal so it takes on all comers. 

If there's a Trader Joe's around they sell 1oz Australian Tea Tree Oil (under their own private label) for $7 for an ounce. For year's now I I've been mixing it with their Desert Essence Jojoba Oil (again under their private label, $8 for 4oz) and mixing them together (95% jojoba oil & 5% tea tree oil) for overnight scalp treatments. -- I'm looking forward to getting my TT TSV and comparing the results I'll get. 

You should be able to also get tea tree oil in any good health food store (Wilners, Westerly, Whole Foods, Health Nut, Gary Null's Whole Foods, Fairway). 

I hope you feel better... and I'm glad that Chaz is on air and periscoping to help take your mind off of your cold. 

btw, have you ever tried a neti pot to help drain the bad bacteria that might be clogging your sinuses? 

Feel better!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much @bebe777.  Heart  you are such a wealth of knowledge!,

I DO have Trader Joe's nearby, so I will definitely check that out.

AlSo thanks for the suggestion about the Netty pot.  I Tried it once a couple of years ago but I couldn't get past the The feeling of sucking water up my nose (which is always uncomfortable in the pool or ocean).   So many of my friends love them, so I may try and give it another shot.  Someone also suggested I try in the shower, so there's less of a problem dealing with the "mess"while trying to learn how to use it.

Honored Contributor

@Brdwygurl thank you for your kind words and you are most welcome. Smiley Happy

When you first use a neti pot, you can experience a sort of drowning response. After all, you are putting water up your nose. 

From what I've read, using neti pot salts (Himalaya sells some for about $4) really helps mitigate this "drowning" response. 

lol, I'm hard core because I couldn't find a neti pot for about a year and a half after Dr. Oz first talked about them on the Oprah show. I finally just took a flexible plastic up, put my head back, and poured warm water done my nose while I was in the shower. It was very basic but effective. For the first few months I had the drowning response but now I don't even notice. 

lol, I do have a neti pot not but I'm so used to my old method that that's what I usually use... without any salt. Smiley Wink

The first few times you use a neti pot, you will swear that there is an unending supply of "stuff" in your sinus passages. It takes a few days (maybe a week) before it all gets cleared out. After that, there's much less "stuff" unless you have a cold. 

Here's the messy part. You pour some water down one nostril. The you close one of your two nostrils with your finger and blow through the other nostril (I wind up doing both sides because I never figured out the blowing sequence). Stuff will jar itself loose. Another reason why the shower is a good place to use your neti pot. 

It really does make a difference. It wasn't until afterwards that I realized my upper sinuses had probably been a bit clogged for decades. 

I've even gotten my mom to use the neti pot... but only when she's really sick. She fusses but afterwards admits that it helps. 

Best of luck and feel better!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bebe777 You've convinced me to suck it up (see what I did there) and give it another try Cat Tongue

Respected Contributor

I use oils in a diffuser all the time. It doesn't take much and I think it really helps when you have a cold. 

Honored Contributor

I like to take Tea Tree and Sweet Almond Mint and massage them over my forehead, temples, and cheeks when I have a cold or sinus pressure. You can use them in a diffuser, but I don't think they're strong enough to really be effective. They contain a relatively small amount of scented essential oils to carrier oils. You're better off buying straight of tea tree and eucalyptus oils for a diffuser.

Also, if you struggle with a Neti pot, consider this bottle instead:

NeilMed Sinus Rinse Bottle (8 oz)

It's available at most drugstores or Amazon and I find it much easier to use. You don't have to tilt you head, it's super easy to get the water through. You also don't end up pouring water all over yourself if you lean over too far, like can happen with a Neti pot. I find these bottles much easier to use, especially for a beginner.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I couldn't remember the name of this product earlier, but Olbas Oil has been fantastic for me. My sister got this for me last Christmas and it's great for both sinus headaches and pressure, chest congestion, stuffiness from colds, and even muscle aches.

It contains oils of peppermint, eucalyptus, cajeput, wintergreen, juniper berry, and clove. You can mix some of your own tea tree in there, if you want.

You can use it in hot water as a steam treatment, massage it into temples, put some under your nose for a cold, rub it on your chest for chest congestion, or rub it over achy muscles like Tiger Balm. You could use this in a diffuser, as well.

You can find Olbas Oil at Drugstore.com, some Whole Foods stores, and some Wegmans stores, and other places.

http://www.olbas.com/whatis.htm

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I couldn't remember the name of this product earlier, but Olbas Oil has been fantastic for me. My sister got this for me last Christmas and it's great for both sinus headaches and pressure, chest congestion, stuffiness from colds, and even muscle aches.

It contains oils of peppermint, eucalyptus, cajeput, wintergreen, juniper berry, and clove. You can mix some of your own tea tree in there, if you want.

You can use it in hot water as a steam treatment, massage it into temples, put some under your nose for a cold, rub it on your chest for chest congestion, or rub it over achy muscles like Tiger Balm. You could use this in a diffuser, as well.

You can find Olbas Oil at Drugstore.com, some Whole Foods stores, and some Wegmans stores, and other places.

http://www.olbas.com/whatis.htm

I was just going to post something on Olba's. I have a friend who is a massage therapist and she know a lot about essential oils and holistic medicine. She swaers by Olba's and has gotten a few of my friends hooked on it. 

The Olba's product that I use regularly in the winter is a chapstick size inhalant that sells for $4-5. Fairway, Wilners, and Westerly should all carry it.

-- bebe Smiley Happy