WEN

Esteemed Contributor

Wen as a gift for daughters and the reaction!!!!

I don't use WEN.  I am happy with what I do for my hair.  However I was trying to be a nice mom and figured my daughters might like to try it.  I have four of them with all sorts of different hair types.  So I bought some, and shared it.  Well they gave it back with thanks and questioned why I would spend so much and also told me no way was it better than what they were buying from the drugstores or box stores.  

Okay my question.  What makes it better?  Were they right in what they said. Is it hype? Expensive without merit?  I am not about to give it another go at this point.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Wen as a gift for daughters and the reaction!!!!

I tried it two different times & didn't "get" it either.  Your post will likely get many responses from Wenners who sing the praises of it, & the haters who will have only negative comments.  Hope the thread doesn't turn into a train wreck  Woman LOL

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to think the same thing but after trying Wen and using it for a while i noticed my hair became so much healthier and so much thicker. before, i could see - and feel - that my hair would get thinner and thinner and thinner from root to ends. it had never occured to me pre-Wen that it wasn't normal. now my hair stays the same thickness from roots to ends and is healthier than ever. it's interesting because now i notice people's hair, the condition of it, the thickness of it, etc and even though a lot of them have nice hair, i can always tell that their hair could be so much better if they used Wen instead of whatever they're currently using.

i've been using Wen for over 5 years now and would never go back to regular shampoo/conditioner. yes, it's not inexpensive like drugstore/box store brands but it's like buying quality clothes - you get what you pay for. Do you want something that's cheap but not going to last a long time or do you want to spend more and get something of much better quality that will last and last and last? 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a couple of thoughts first take a look at the list of ingredients in mandarin Italian fig wen below and compare them to the ingredients on your drugstore shampoo. I think that will show you a huge difference.

I'm not sure how old your daughters are, but it could be that they're still young enough that they're able to "abuse "their hair and have it still look
fantastic.

I compare it to being a teenager in your 20s and able to eat whatever you want and look great. Youth allows you to get away with a lot Smiley Happy

However, if they are smart they will start taking care of their hair (and body) while they are still young. Many people say I wish I had… eaten better, worked out more, used wen when I was younger.

ETA: make sure you purchase your win from either QVC or Chas's own website. I personally would recommend against Guthy Rennker. The ingredients in the wen products from GR are different, and in my mind inferior.

xIngredients• Water (Aqua)
• Cetearyl Alcohol
• Bamboo Water
• Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey
• Behentrimonium Methosulfate
• Cetyl Alcohol
• Bamboo Extract
• Aloe Vera Leaf Juice
• Aloe Vera Leaf Extract
• Fig Extract
• Mandarin Orange Peel Oil
• Orange Fruit Extract
• Lemon Peel Oil
• Lemon Peel Extract
• Grapefruit Seed Extract
• Bergamot Fruit Extract
• Rosemary Leaf Extract
• Wild Cherry Fruit Extract
• Goji Fruit Extract
• Acai Fruit Extract
• Chamomile Flower/Leaf Extract
• Marigold Flower Extract
• Green Tea Extract
• Seaweed Extract
• Passion Fruit Flower Extract
• Green Tea Leaf Extract
• White Tea Leaf Extract
• Rooibos Red Tea Extract
• Black Tea Leaf Extract
• Menthol
• Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5)
• Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1
• Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7
• L-Valine
• L-Threonine
• L-Proline
• L-Isoleucine
• L-Phenylaline
• L-Histidine
• L-Alanine
• L-Serine
• L-Arginine
• L-Aspartic Acid
• Glycine
• Hydrolyzed Rice Protein
• Glycerin
• PCA
• Sodium Lactate
• Sodium PCA
• Citric Acid
• Amodimethicone
• Carbomer
• Polysorbate-60
• Polysorbate-20
• Tetrasodium EDTA
• Butylene Glycol
• Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine
• Methylchloroisothiazolinone
• Methylisothiazolinone
• Fragrance

Honored Contributor

Watch some movies from the 1940's and 50's. You'll see women with beautiful hair and they didn't have all the expensive products that are on today's market. I really do think some people are born with nice hair. Your daughters are correct and it is a lot of hype in my opinion.
Esteemed Contributor

My intent was not to give WEN users a hard time.  I just wanted to know why it was so much better.  I could not even get my daughters to see the difference and one has very curly tight frizzy hair (like her dad) and she was not all that impressed.

I am lucky.  My hair is my best feature.  I have shiny, thick, curly, silver hair.  I don't do anything but shampoo and walk away. It dries in the air.  I don't have a blow dryer.  I do put a big of hairspray and plump it up to give more fullness.  So I am not one to want to spend more when I am happy.  I just wanted to see if it would be something that would benefit them.  

Super Contributor

@AuntG  I would say that actually makes the case for Wen.  Back then and earlier many of the chemicals were not around. So people used natural oils and extracts to clean their air. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu  I am envious of your hair, and I am sure the lack of blow drying does a lot to contribute to its healthiness.

for your daughter with curly hair it may be that it was the wrong formula/scent.   Out of curiosity which one did she try?  I know you said you probably wouldn't be purchasing anymore, but it might at least give some insight into why it didn't work as well as you had hoped.

how much did she use of the product? Since often when people feel it doesn't work it's because they aren't using it correctly.

I understand that it doesn't work for everyone. Though for me it has done a tremendous amount for my hair, I will never go back to shampoo

Respected Contributor

Personally I would never give Wen as a gift unless the person has expressed interest in wanting to try it. I just don't think it's for everyone.

We all have different hair and I guess if your daughters don't have any real issues with their hair that may be why they didn't see any real difference with Wen. Personally I've never been able to find a shampoo that does what Wen does so I have no problem paying exra for the results.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

I don't use WEN.  I am happy with what I do for my hair.  However I was trying to be a nice mom and figured my daughters might like to try it.  I have four of them with all sorts of different hair types.  So I bought some, and shared it.  Well they gave it back with thanks and questioned why I would spend so much and also told me no way was it better than what they were buying from the drugstores or box stores.  

Okay my question.  What makes it better?  Were they right in what they said. Is it hype? Expensive without merit?  I am not about to give it another go at this point.  

I was a sceptic about Wen and the cost of it before I initially bit the bullet and gave it a try. I thought even at the TSV price it was a lot of money for something to cleanse my hair. It also didn't help my scepticism that I coupon like a maniac and get beauty products from drug stores on the cheap. QVCs return policy & easy pays did win me over and I decided to give it a try. I started using Wen in April of 2014 and haven't looked back. It did take some trial and error and some getting used to the smell and menthol. My only regret is that I didn't start with a seasonal  because I realized I prefer those to the some of the core formulas.

The money I spend on Wen allows me to spend less money on haircuts and trims, as I don't need them as often. I was also able to stop relaxing my hair every 6-8 weeks which is quite expensive for that service at the salon. I now have the healthiest hair I have ever had in life from using Wen. My hair is much darker and less brassy just like the before and after pictures they put on air. It did take prolonged use before I noticed these major changes in my hair, but the softness and manageability was instant. This product also saves me money in not having to color my hair as much. My mom tried some of my Wen while visiting and fell in love with it, but she quickly went from elated to deflated when she looked up the cost. I tried explaining about TSVs, special offers, and easy pay but she was not interested. I will now give her Wen as a gifts because her hair is thinning and she really needs it.

The beauty industry is a billion dollar industry for a reason. Every product is not for everyone and we all have choices on how we choose to spend our money. Wen did cost a lot more than traditional shampoo and conditioner but saved me overtime in many other ways. I do not pay full price for any of my Wen purchases. I only buy TSVs, OTOs and other special offers. I also don't have long hair and only cleanse every 3-4 days sometimes 5, so my Wen usually last a long while. I love the difference in my hair now and never want to be without my Wen. If you try it and don't like it, move on to something you do love and don't have regrets for trying something that didn't work for you. Some products work beautifully for some and not for others. I have experienced that many times with hair and beauty products.