Respected Contributor

viking ocean and river cruises

Who has been on one and can you describe what you liked and did not like?  Really looking into this but so many options...mostly looking at Mediterranean area.

Respected Contributor

Re: viking ocean and river cruises

[ Edited ]

I have a thread about the Viking River Cruise of the Danube  DH and I just took if you want to check it out.  The staff is very attentive and I liked the buffet breakfast and 3 course but managable portioned lunch and dinner.  The down side was that a lot of the people on the ship got Covid (including my husband on the day we arrived home) and the ship had no Covid tests. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There was nothing that I ldisliked. Would go on another in a second, but I do not want to be in a closed area with that many people anymore. I need my space. @bargainsgirl 

Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I'm looking into a spring Ocean cruise (1,000 passengers).

My brother and friends have traveled and all really love it.  5 star service.  I emailed and called about this upcoming cruise and they were so quick and eager to please. I was amazed they answered right away on everything.  I will keep you posted as it happens.  They just about handle it all for you.  Air, hotels, etc.  Whatever you desire they accomodate.  We will spend 2 days and 2 more days at hotels and will take their's.  I believe they are 4 star hotels.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are serious about learning about cruising, then you should join Cruise Critic.

Viking cruises are for adults over eighteen only, and have limited entertainment activities on board. They usually include one free excursion at each port, and include free alcohol for lunch and dinner. Dress is very casual.

River cruises are small, intimate, and offer daily port calls with walking tours of the towns.

The Viking ocean cruises feature smaller ships than some of the bigger lines, but one of the biggest complaints is that the people with the most expensive cabins choose their excursions first.

Viking has an excellent reputation--they offer a very high level of service and have consistency across all areas in terms of food quality, decor, etc. However, sometimes they do require complete payment up to two years in advance, which is also disliked by some cruisers.

We like Viking, and find their cruises very nice, but sometimes we prefer the dress-up experience and big evening entertainment activities that are found on cruise lines like Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, etc.  

Best wishes with your planning!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper  Thanks for your input.  We did not have to book anything for 2 years wait time and could have gone in a few months space available. We were going to go this fall, about 5 month but decided to wait until next Spring. I find this cruise line very efficient as I have experience.

By the way I started at NCL at the age of 18 years old and continued working on for about 8 years on and off.  My Dad was in the travel business which I know all my life plus I'm a first generation European.  I was a lucky kid indeed and spend my summers in Europe every other year.

Good luck on your journey's. Anyone who has questions I woud be happy to answer.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl I haven't done a Viking crusie but have friends that have and they really liked it.  DH and I travel with Tauck.  We've done numerous riverboat cruises with them in Europe and a few "small ship" (200 passenger) cruises also with Tauck.  As a matter of fact we are doing another small ship cruise in July around Norway.  So exciting!!  I have to warn you though, once you do it, it is addicting!!   For us, we are thrilled to be traveling again.   Tauck is a very highly rated travel company, top notch service and you have the best guides in the business!    Happy Travels Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve never taken Viking but will go on my first river cruise in December but with Tauck. We always travel with Tauck & I can tell you why I chose Tauck. First, only 90 people on board. You can book your airfare & tour thru Tauck with a deposit & you pay in full about 2 months before the trip I think & that’s airfare too. For us, that has been great as air travel can be tricky at times & it’s easier to get your airline refund if need be or Tauck will switch it easily (which we had to do in 2021) The tour directors always have adequate help & if the trip is big, we’ve had two guides plus the driver so I don’t think we’ll be locked out of a tour.

Viking had the best COVID response early on with a full lab but I wasn’t willing to travel with a large group at that time or now. Plus, people still got COVID.

Valued Contributor

I've been twice, once on Avalon riverboat down the Danube and once on Viking down Rhine both to the Christmas markets. We loved both and enjoyed the fact we were on the boat and did not have to pack and unpack numerous times.  Food, points of interest, etc. we're fabulous.  Would do it again in a heartbeat except prices have really gone up.  Lovely experience ...  their service onboard was perfect ...  no complaints whatsoever.  Do it !!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have been on one river and one ocean cruise with Viking and are booked for Viking's Alaska cruise this summer.  Have also done one river cruise with AmaWaterways but switched to Viking for more a comfortable bed.  We first did a Christmas Market cruise on the Rhine which was wonderful.  Great staff, particularly the activities director and maitre d.  I have specific dietary requirements and he was so good making sure I could dine safely.  On both ocean and river we did a mix of included and optional tours as well as touring on our own in some ports including on our ocean cruise in Scandinavia.  Have not had trouble getting optional excursions we wanted.  The only drawback is the requirement to pay in full so far ahead.  If we book a new cruise this month, because we have a cruise booked, we can take advantage of Viking's $25 deposit and won't have to pay in full until 6 months before.  The early payment in full is the only thing I wish Viking would change.