Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Cruise Line!

I have only been on three cruises so I am definitely not an expert.  Our first cruise was Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Sea that sailed out of Philly to Bermuda.  It was the last cruise out of the Philly port and the ship was heading to Europe.  I found very little to do on the ship because it was so small, and in the 2.5 hours it took to get to Delaware, I was ready to get off and walk home.  Definitely not a favorite.

I never thought that I would do another cruise, but we did a Royal Caribbean out of Baltimore to New England and Canada.  It was wonderful.

Our last cruise was last year on Celebrity to Alaska.  I did not care for Celebrity but we were not there for the ship but to see and explore Alaska.

Both ships, which I understand are the same company, have excellent fruits and salads, which kept me going.  My choice, though, would be RC.  No one got sick on the RC cruises, but there were lots of sick people as we ended the Alaska cruise, even with all of the safeguards that were in place.  At the end of the cruise, they served spoiled food.  I cannot envision taking another Celebrity cruise.

My friend always does Holland America and thinks they are the best.  We might give them a try as we are planning another Alaska cruise next year.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

We did the same cruise but in reverse. Stayed a couple of days in

Amsterdam before boarding and at the end of the cruise we stayed in Basel for two

days. Loved, loved, loved Switzerland, but very expensive.

We went with another couple, and even ran into a couple on the ship from college days. We hadn't seen them in 35 years!! How does than even happen? Unbelievable.

None of us wore dresses, just nice slacks, pretty tops and you fit right in. In fact, I don't recall anyone being dressed up.

The ship we were on did provide washer and dryers on the lowest level. So, if necessary and you want to pack really light that is an option also. You may want to double check before leaving just in case.

Have a great time!

Respected Contributor

Just got home from an Alaskan cruise with Princess.  My advice is stay as far away from this line as possible.  Food was awful and totally uninspired.  One night in the dining room the feature was meatloaf!  Service was very poor from the dining room to the bars.  Staff was totally uninterested in helping you.  Very few smiles from them.  People were wearing heavy winter coats to sit inside the ship.  One of the lounges that had very good entertainment was kept at around 55 degrees with the fans blowing on high.  Loved Alaska.  Beautiful.  Just take a different cruise line.  We have found Royal Caribbean to be the best so far.

Trusted Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

Just got home from an Alaskan cruise with Princess.  My advice is stay as far away from this line as possible.  Food was awful and totally uninspired.  One night in the dining room the feature was meatloaf!  Service was very poor from the dining room to the bars.  Staff was totally uninterested in helping you.  Very few smiles from them.  People were wearing heavy winter coats to sit inside the ship.  One of the lounges that had very good entertainment was kept at around 55 degrees with the fans blowing on high.  Loved Alaska.  Beautiful.  Just take a different cruise line.  We have found Royal Caribbean to be the best so far.

@brandiwine  I agree about Princess.  The food was not good at all and the shows at night were very poor quality!  We are staying away from them!