Honored Contributor

Travel Chat - March 2018

[ Edited ]

Welcome to our March Travel Chat thread, a very special month for us. Many of you might not know that this month our forum will be celebrating one year as a full-fledged forum! YAAAY!

It was on March 7, 2017, that @Eva-QVC surprised us by letting us know our wish had come true and that we were finally getting our own forum instead of using that one long thread started on May 1, 2016. Over those approximately nine months, we accumulated 6,923 views with 1,553 messages before our many requests for a separate forum came true. Happy Anniversary!

That one thread was tough going there for a while, because it took patience for our many posters to plod thru if they wanted to see if a certain subject had been discussed. But our faithful bunch persevered and we remain a vibrant, interesting, and informative forum.

These are just SOME of those early contributors:

@abbeythe 8th - knowledgeable about Italy, particularly San Gimignano

@Alter Ego – knowledgeable about everywhere! Sometime ask how she got her coat caught in a safe!

@BExplorer – she has gone swimming with dolphins; knows a lot about beaches

@BriggsiePeawiggle – loves to travel with her dogs when she can; doesn’t care to fly, if I remember correctly

@DukeBlueNan - went to Iceland with her daughter; Blue Lagoon was great

@gacat123 - she always has fun things to share with us, especially the traveling her husband does for his job…gives us the details of his experiences; fellow Lug Nut! “Keep Calm and Carry On” is her motto

@HSB1204 - from Denmark, good posts about ice hotels; has backpacked in a few Scandinavian countries

@JudyL  - lots of early posts from this gal; she LOVES Africa! Another Lug Nut. Faithfully helped us keep the travel thread alive that first year.

@Justice4all - she was robbed at gunpoint on the road from Belize to Tikal; loves flying

@Lilysmom  - talked with us about Barcelona, where her brother-in-law was going and apps to use

@lulu2 - goes to Europe every year; has done the Christmas market bus tour; a Finn MacCool fan!

@Moonchilde - met John Wayne!

@muttmom  - did the Viking River Cruise thru France

@Mz iMac – found her experience in the South Africa airport very interesting; not sure she will share with you about it. 

@PamfromCT- likes cruise

@qualitygal – loves Gatlinberg, TN and a whole bunch of other places in the United States; also camps

@Stray– this gal loves to travel, even just going to the airport! Enjoys Anguilla; spends half her time in Italy. A hippo showed his love for her by leaving something outside her tent! She’s a great reader too!

@VaBelle35– prefers short trips, like five days

@Vivian Florimond – loves France and has been to the British Isles and more

@ZoetheCat - been all over the place; too numerous to list. Did you ever make it to Morocco?

I know I am forgetting a lot of you, but know that everyone’s contributions were appreciated. Thanks to all for helping make the forum a reality!

And this past month (February) we had the most (I think!) new topics brought up. Here are the ones I enjoyed reading:

10 of the World’s Scariest Airports to Fly Into

13 Things Most Likely to Get You Flagged by the TSA

40 Stunning Photos of National Parks Covered in Snow

Airline Charges to Reserve Seats by @Twins Mom

Alabama in the Winter? by @Mom2Dogs

Albuquerque and Santa Fe by @bargainsgirl 

Amtrak Tours by @Colinka 

Any Toll Roads Between Savannah and Hilton Head? by @Lilysmom 

Anyone Watch the Lug Show Today? by @JudyL

Biggest, Fastest, Longest: The World’s Most Surprising Travel Facts Revealed

Booking Airline Tickets by @bargainsgirl

Carry-On Luggage by @gacat123 

Cruise or Land Tour Through Rome and Pompeii by @GSPgirl 

Daughter is Going to Iceland Next Month by @Sunshine 45

Finding International Flights by @Twins Mom

Going to Greece by @fingerlakesny 

Going to Italy; Advice needed by @NicksmomESQ 

Has Anyone Taken Washington DC Day Trip from NYC by @OKPrincess 

Hop-On Hop-Off City Tours by @gacat123

Hotel Recommendations – Savannah, Georgia by @Lilysmom 

How Do You Post Photos? By @Alter Ego

Kayak by @mare54

Long Flight to Seattle by @Shanus 

Lubec, Maine and Campobnello Island—Suggestions? by @Samara

Lug Carousel 2.0 by @pinkmochi

Luggage – Triforce

Mardi Gras - Who Goes? by @qualitygal 

Need Advice about NYC Sightseeing Day Pass by @OKPrincess 

Need Feedback ASAP Pls on United Airlines by @Lilysmom

New Orleans Vacation by @Mermaid22

Pawleys Island, SC by @Reever 

Planning a Trip to Costa Rica by @qvc chick

Quick Beach Getaway – Near US Airport? by @qvc chick

Should I Purchase a Beverage Card? by @JeanLouiseFinch

St. Joseph, Michigan Area by @BExplorer 

Stow n Go Travel Hanging Organizer V35414 by @JudyL

Taking a Bus; Am I Crazy? by @Witchy Woman

Thailand Trip by @tdog 

Theme Cruises – Went on one; Comments if Considering by @Happiness isInside Job

Trip Insurance Guidance by @Twins Mom

Trip Report – Santa Fe Weekend by @Alter Ego

TSA PreCheck Experience by @bonnielu

Using an electric cart by @crazered

Washington, DC Hotel Near the Smithsonian…Please Help by @GSPgirl

Winter Visits – Where Would You Land? by @jeanlake

I look forward to what you all have to say in March. Happy travels and please keep sharing!

Honored Contributor

Re: Travel Chat - March 2018

Happy Anniversary Travel Forum and many more. I’m going to use this a lot for planning my NYC trip. And thanks to one of your threads (I think it was yours) I’m flying into one of the scariest airports. YIKES!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the Travel Forum.  It's the first forum I check on the message boards.  I enjoy reading all the travel information.

Esteemed Contributor

8E7249F0-CF64-47C9-9482-EAEF8D9568CE.jpeg

I remember discovering the old 1,000 post thread and knew I found kindred spirits.  I love coming here to read others experiences and hear everyone’s travel plans.

Even though I am now a little afraid of @World Traveler, I thank you for making this forum such an interesting stop for everyone!  To be honest, I am anticipating your Japan posts so much that you would think I was getting on the plan with you!!

QVC Social Team

@World Traveler - Congratulations on your 1 year milestone! You promised to keep it fun, exciting and informative and you certainly kept your promise. I enjoy reading everyone's adventures and tips and, of course, the QVC products that travel along with you. Keep it going!

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler and other travel contributors, happy anniversary.  It is wonderful to have this resource on the forums.  Better and more trusted than Trip Advisor!  Keep up the good work.  LM

Honored Contributor

So excited! Decided to order Japanese Yen online thru my bank for my upcoming trip. Did it Tuesday evening and BINGO! Just arrived by FedEx today. Now why didn't I do this before? 

Anyone else get their travel money this way? Most of the time I have just taken cash and exchanged when I arrived, going to a currency exchange place. Rates have always been quite good doing it that way. Others I have traveled with have gone to the bank or used their ATM card to withdraw local money the first day.

Interesting how some countries can make you feel like a millionaire. In fact, one country in Africa had money that wasn't worth much anymore (can't remember which one.....Botswana, Zambia, or Zimbabwe, I think). They had bills/denominations that were 1 million dollars, 5 million dollars, etc., which we all bought as souvenirs at about $5! 

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler - I usually go to a local bank to exchange my USD to whatever currency I need.  I may need to make two stops, but the bank is close by and it gets me even more excited (if that's possible) that my trip is coming soon.  Plus, the people who don't get to travel as much enjoy seeing the different colorful currencies.  

I've used foreign ATMs before, but the one time I really needed to use the ATM, my card wouldn't work.  This was in Brazil, and Chase told me when I called in my travel plans that I wouldn't be able to - there was just too much fraud and they refused.  So, one shouldn't rely on the ATM!  I've subsequently opened a 2nd account at Citibank; I see more branches for them overseas than Chase anyways.  

Just had a nice surprise.  Was scrolling through the channel guide to see what was on and ran across Rick Steves in Cinque Terre!  An old episode but very nice to be transported for a little while.

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler

I always exchange some money before I go overseas.  For me it saves time and one less thing to worry about when I get there. 

I'm going back to visit Bogota, Colombia at the end of April.  The exchange rate is very good and is an excellent country to shop shop shop.  I take 300,000 Colombia Pesos ( USD $100.00) and I feel like I'm a millionaire.  I take that in 5,000 bill increments so I can have tip money, taxi fares, street food, coffee, etc withought having to use the credit card so much.

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut Love those big numbers! ha! I'm taking 31,000 Yen and then if I need more, will get it in Japan. If I recall correctly, the peso anywhere in South America can make you feel rich! 

What I really liked is that the way they broke up the bills for me was nice...a few 5,000 notes, a few 2,000, and some 1,000. When I take my U.S. dollars, my wallet and various other places I stash the money is really thick and full. This will be nice for a change.

Many, many years ago, my sister and I would carry around 100 $1, because they were great for tipping back in the day when our currency was very strong. Buying things from vendors on the street, ice cream cones, etc., they loved the dollar bills. But now, it just takes up a lot of room in the wallet to be carrying so many $1.