Honored Contributor

Re: Travel Chat - March 2018

@Alter Ego Yes, you are correct! I leave early on Friday, the 23rd. This past weekend was the first time I took out my suitcase to air it out, gather up all the things I plan to take, going thru my list, etc. As you well know, when you have traveled enough times, you learn to take less and less. But I still check everything out to see if I can get away with even fewer things. So, out goes the camera (will use my iPhone and iPad), out goes the alarm clock (iPhone again), did away with the hairdryer long time ago because I always get my hair cut really short before I travel; and so many other things not needed anymore. 

And I will be doing my trip report. Just pick and choose what interests you, because you know full well, I do go on and on when I write those! ha!

Must say, I am surprised you have not been to Japan yet. Seems like you have been EVERYWHERE else!! Smiley LOL I will keep you in mind as I write about the trip, now knowing Japan is a place of interest for you.

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler

I’ve only started traveling extensively a few years ago, so there are many many places I have not been (and since I started a little late, will likely never go.). But, I am making up for lost time as best I can.  All things staying the same, I’m not looking at Japan until 2024 (yes, I am planning that far out - even much further too!)

I admit that I haven’t mastered that “pack less” methodology. I just usually hope I get a kind airline employee who will let me pass when my luggage is a little heavier than it should be!  You and many of the posters on this forum are much more organized than I am.  

Counting down the days until the 23rd!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JudyL Today's Irish offerings remind me so, so much of my wonderful trip to Ireland two summers ago. You went 2-3 months after I did. Have you been watching any of the presentations?

When I saw something from Aran, I thought "well, I definitely know where that is!" Merino wool, YES!

And, of course, Waterford Crystal, which was such an awesome store/factory to visit. I use my crystal piece that holds rings every day. I think you got that too, right? I wanted the big Cinderella Coach - LOL!!!! Where would I have put that? But it was gorgeous.

And then the things made of Connemara Marble. That was a wonderful stop too.

And then there is Belleek....wonderful stop too. But I didn't purchase anything when I was there.

Such a wonderful trip we both had, right? Good memories of a wonderful country that was green, green, green. And the most wonderful people, so welcoming. I remember one lady came up to me and grabbed me by the arm while I was walking down the street. And she loudly welcomes me to her country. Scared the heck out of me for a minute. I thought she was going to steal something from me. LOL! Guess it was really obvious I was visiting. ha!

One of the things I tell everyone who wants to go to Ireland is that they be sure to go to Northern Ireland too. It is important to understand the history of The Troubles and see the area of town where it all happened.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

There's no way I could forget St. Patrick's Day with my father being from Ireland!  LOL  I'm checking in and seeing what's been offered but not buying anything.  Yes, the Ireland trip was so very special for a lot of reasons. 

Esteemed Contributor

50EE03F5-837F-4158-BCC6-3C3AA313500F.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego Love your last post and the photo! So true, so true!

I did a test run yesterday with two of my newer Lug purchases. Had to be on the road for around 8 hours yesterday, and I didn't want to be "lugging" around a big purse once I got to my destination.

I used the new Lug North/South Wallet (Tandem - F12886), and stuck it in the Lug Convertible Crossbody Flapper (F12881), which is just a tad larger than the regular Flapper I took on my trip last summer. I do believe these will be what I use day-to-day for excursion. I like the fact that the Tandem fits easily into the Convertible Crossbody Flapper and that I can also easily fit in my mini iPad and my iPhone.

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler TD Bank is our place of business.  They usually have our currency in about two days and we just go pick it up.  I've always done it that way as the exchange rate is better.  I had TBT left from Thailand and changed it back to US currency tne same day. 

@World Travelerwrote:

So excited! Decided to order Japanese Yen online thru my bank for my upcoming trip. Did it Tuesday evening and BINGO! Just arrived by FedEx today. Now why didn't I do this before? 

Anyone else get their travel money this way? Most of the time I have just taken cash and exchanged when I arrived, going to a currency exchange place. Rates have always been quite good doing it that way. Others I have traveled with have gone to the bank or used their ATM card to withdraw local money the first day.

Interesting how some countries can make you feel like a millionaire. In fact, one country in Africa had money that wasn't worth much anymore (can't remember which one.....Botswana, Zambia, or Zimbabwe, I think). They had bills/denominations that were 1 million dollars, 5 million dollars, etc., which we all bought as souvenirs at about $5! 

Valued Contributor

You got my info correct! I do love travel with my boys (dogs) but we haven't done it in awhile. In a couple of weeks, I will be doing a road trip with one of my adult harp students. We are traveling from Michigan to NJ/DE/VA to go harp shopping. The Delaware stop is a visit to my brother who lives near Rehoboth Beach, and I will be hitting the QVC Outlet to see what they have in the way of Dooney & Bourke bags. 

In late July I will be attending a conference in Wisconsin for church music directors. I'm going with 3 girlfriends. It is also a road trip.

Next summer I may be traveling to Italy. Yes, I hate to fly, but I'll do it to get to Italy!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BriggsiePeawiggle Oh, my; your mention of harp shopping brought up memories of when I was in elementary school and my parents insisted that both my sister and I take piano lessons (and I did for 16 years), and then we could pick out any other instrument (to appease us) we wanted and dad would buy it.

I chose a harp! LOL!!! Well, the look on dad's face was priceless. He didn't expect that, but I really wanted to try the harp. So he arranged to have one delivered to the home on a trial basis.

Well, first of all, my fingers had blisters by the end of one week. But then he said something like, "If you really want to continue, I will get you one. But I would like you to consider how you are going to transport this when you are asked to play in church, for weddings, and maybe funerals. But with the piano, there is usually one any place you might be asked to play." 

Well, needless to say, I told him he could have the harp picked up. We also had a xylophone delivered to the house, but the same reasoning of how to transport it became an issue I couldn't overlook.

I did add a clarinet and a violin at some point, and also learned to play the organ. But am so glad that I didn't have to worry about transporting a harp and xylophone when I finally got a car.

Great memories. Thank you for writing about something that brought a smile, and a laugh, to me when I went back in my mind to those special days when my dad was always willing to encourage his children to broaden their horizons.

Valued Contributor

Great story on the harp. And DUH! I just remembered the outlet store in Rehoboth is closed. Boo hoo.